SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 non UND FCS thread

UNDBIZ

Just now, SiouxBoys said:

Dom Izzo being one of them.

You may be right, but per my post above, what would you write about if you’re in his position? Gotta be tough.

Hypothetical FBS scenarios clearly is something driving readership. Here we are discussing it right? Looks like Dom did his job well to me.

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

A 12 team FBS tournament would be a joke. How many teams per year have a legit shot? Maximum 3-5 I would say. Rarely more than 3. 

You can say that about a lot of levels of college football. Mount Union was impossible to beat until UW-Whitewater and UMHB came along. There has been decent runs in DII with North Alabama, NWMSU and GVSU. FCS...well, there's that. And FBS has Bama as the perennial team to beat, but every few years someone figures it out.

I don't think it would be a joke and 12 teams would make the playoff way more meaningful and inclusive. Who doesn't love an underdog? loved seeing Cincinnati get a chance, and honestly, they didn't fair any worse than other P5 schools or Notre Dame in years past. 

That said, Izzo calling UND fans "rubes" is pretty rich. They've never played a full FBS schedule. They'd fair okay in the Mountain West, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bison06 said:

You may be right, but per my post above, what would you write about if you’re in his position? Gotta be tough.

Hypothetical FBS scenarios clearly is something driving readership. Here we are discussing it right? Looks like Dom did his job well to me.

So Dom's job is to post outlandish things and get people talking about it? So, he's literally no better than a tabloid writer?

6 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I’ll take simple, the world is full of fools complicating things.

Is defending a “what if” scenario really simple minded?  Simple minded would be one if.  “if” we want to be considered for that playoff, than we need to move up.   

28 minutes ago, homer said:

Lol.  One post is a lot is it??

The fact you are even arguing a pretty deep “what if” scenario is equally as funny.  If FU was in the MOuntain West and if they would have gone 12-1 in the regular season and and if they would have won their conference championship game if the FBS had a 12 team playoff than I suppose FU fans and Don are right, they would have been considered for the playoffs. 

Reality is none of that happened and every FCS team could make the same argument.  Instead of throwing a pity party of “ifs” move up.  

You forgot one more "if".
Not a chance a 12-1 MWC champion is considered this year with Cincy already squarely in the mix. The week CFP rankings prove that out pretty easily. Two G5's isn't happening.
His comment about a G5 being included is pointless unless he also decides "if" Cincy is going to lose a bunch of games this year as well.

1 minute ago, Bison06 said:

Welcome to journalism in 2022.
Clicks and views, nothing more.

Except there were no clicks or views. He tweeted it. It wasn't some story linked to a website where he wanted to generate traffic. He said what he said cause he believes what he is said is entirely possible. Only once did he receive backlash did he start claiming that it was just "hypotheticals". If you're just going for "clicks and views" why not make the speculation crazy? He didn't because that's not what he was doing.

Just now, SiouxBoys said:

Except there were no clicks or views. He tweeted it. It wasn't some story linked to a website where he wanted to generate traffic. He said what he said cause he believes what he is said is entirely possible. Only once did he receive backlash did he start claiming that it was just "hypotheticals". If you're just going for "clicks and views" why not make the speculation crazy? He didn't because that's not what he was doing.

And you don’t see a connection between his Twitter page and his brand/image? This is how social media works. Who’s simple minded now?

He’s generating interest, he’s being provocative, he’s driving conversations, he’s riling up “haters” and probably gaining Twitter followers. Why do you think people in his position would even take the time to tweet if they weren’t furthering that goal. 

1 minute ago, Bison06 said:

And you don’t see a connection between his Twitter page and his brand/image? This is how social media works. Who’s simple minded now?

He’s generating interest, he’s being provocative, he’s driving conversations, he’s riling up “haters” and probably gaining Twitter followers. Why do you think people in his position would even take the time to tweet if they weren’t furthering that goal. 

Crazy that even NDSU fans just view Izzo as nothing more than an internet troll.

I would like for someone to explain to me how that improves them Nationally or even locally for fan following or in the world of the media.  Most people understand if they go to FBS it will be to one smaller FBS conferences and if you win the conference it will be for some lesser December bowl game played in afternoon on maybe weekday with limited tv exposurer. Second if they have to move all their sports to this new conference they will find they will have tremendous costs of travel and these sports will loose their traditional rivaleries again eroding the fan bases. Then you add in the recruiting where number of players if they are traveling farther it makes it more difficult for parents and family to watch these athletes. These are some of difficulties i see with move to FBS but i can see it happening because there is lot ego with NDSU and Fargo but until the reality of this move happens all they can see is the glory of playing FBS football. The only way this would make since would be if South Dakota schools, UND, and Montana Schools couple other FCS school would all move up and form new conference at the FBS level.

If they go fbs they will end up with games on week nights just because of tv schedule, WDAY isn’t going to dictate this it will be a bigger network trying to fill their schedule

would be tough on out of town attendance 

24 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

I would like for someone to explain to me how that improves them Nationally or even locally for fan following or in the world of the media.  Most people understand if they go to FBS it will be to one smaller FBS conferences and if you win the conference it will be for some lesser December bowl game played in afternoon on maybe weekday with limited tv exposurer. Second if they have to move all their sports to this new conference they will find they will have tremendous costs of travel and these sports will loose their traditional rivaleries again eroding the fan bases. Then you add in the recruiting where number of players if they are traveling farther it makes it more difficult for parents and family to watch these athletes. These are some of difficulties i see with move to FBS but i can see it happening because there is lot ego with NDSU and Fargo but until the reality of this move happens all they can see is the glory of playing FBS football. The only way this would make since would be if South Dakota schools, UND, and Montana Schools couple other FCS school would all move up and form new conference at the FBS level.

I think you’ve outlined pretty well the massive challenges associated with a move up to FBS and the reasons why NDSU may never make the move. Though I hope they do, even if we have to suffer for years in a G5 conference, all the while hoping to become attractive enough for a P5 conference eventually.

17 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I think you’ve outlined pretty well the massive challenges associated with a move up to FBS and the reasons why NDSU may never make the move. Though I hope they do, even if we have to suffer for years in a G5 conference, all the while hoping to become attractive enough for a P5 conference eventually.

And which p5 school would that be?

no g5 schools calling them now 

• Upvote 1

"Again, if the playoffs would expand to 12 teams, this would have been a year when Mary Hardin-Baylor would have been the mix for a playoff spot.  To play Georgia. Or Alabama. Or Michigan. Or keep playing Mount Union, whatever."

Don "the mouth of the south" Zizzo-sports writer following Mary Hardin-Baylor football

20 minutes ago, Kab said:

What does thin skin mean in your world 

You asked me a question that made no sense based on my comment.
Thin skin? You didn’t say anything that could’ve offended me so I don’t really understand your meaning.

20 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

You asked me a question that made no sense based on my comment.
Thin skin? You didn’t say anything that could’ve offended me so I don’t really understand your meaning.

I will reframe the question

Which P5 and G5 conferences do you HOPE will invite ndsu if and when that happens ?

7 minutes ago, Kab said:

I will reframe the question

Which P5 and G5 conferences do you HOPE will invite ndsu if and when that happens ?

Well, the landscape would have to shift immensely for any P5 conference to consider NDSU. As it currently stands, the most likely path to a P5 conference would be through a G5 conference.

So, let’s say the MAC takes a flyer and invites NDSU. Not ideal, but maybe a means to an end if NDSU leadership believes FBS football is where they want to be. Spend 10-15 years establishing yourself athletically and academically and growing the university. Fargo continues to grow and maybe in 20 years the population and market is at a level that is more attractive to the big boys. If all that happens, it seems as though the Big 12 would probably be the best fit, albeit, still a tough sell given NDSU’s location. 

Who knows what can happen. If someone would have told you 20 years ago that NDSU would dominate FCS football the way they have, make four trips to the NCAA tournament in basketball even get a couple of wins while in it, we’d have all thought that was insane. A lot can change over many years.