SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 non UND FCS thread

UNDBIZ

6 hours ago, Bison06 said:

I’ve never been behind the idea that the only purpose of a tournament is to declare a champion. I find just as much interest in matchups along the way.

Take March Madness as an example. Of course, crowning a champion is ultimately the purpose, but look at the teams that claim multiple sweet 16 finishes, Elite 8 finishes, Final Four appearances. The romanticism that comes from a small school lining up against a big school, regardless of outcome. 

I think college football has always missed this point. They’ve only ever cared about one thing, who’s the best. They miss half the equation with this line of thinking IMO.

March madness is totally different. You can get far riding like 6 guys in basketball. Much harder to take out the big dogs in football. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, USTBench said:

You can say that about a lot of levels of college football. Mount Union was impossible to beat until UW-Whitewater and UMHB came along. There has been decent runs in DII with North Alabama, NWMSU and GVSU. FCS...well, there's that. And FBS has Bama as the perennial team to beat, but every few years someone figures it out.

I don't think it would be a joke and 12 teams would make the playoff way more meaningful and inclusive. Who doesn't love an underdog? loved seeing Cincinnati get a chance, and honestly, they didn't fair any worse than other P5 schools or Notre Dame in years past. 

That said, Izzo calling UND fans "rubes" is pretty rich. They've never played a full FBS schedule. They'd fair okay in the Mountain West, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here. 

How many years have there been 3 legit contenders in the last 21 years of FBS football? In can come up with that one Auburn team from like 2003 or so as a legit third team.

3 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

How many years have there been 3 legit contenders in the last 21 years of FBS football? In can come up with that one Auburn team from like 2003 or so as a legit third team.

Until this year, there were arguments on behalf of teams that didn't make the final four.

Clemson had a run winning 2 of 3.

15 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Name the teams that got left out who actually had a shot to win it all. If there’s a single team I’d be surprised.

I’m not sure what you mean exactly by a legit shot. We’re talking about winning a single football game against a team that on paper should trounce you. That happens every other weekend in college football.

21 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Name the teams that got left out who actually had a shot to win it all. If there’s a single team I’d be surprised.

https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/10-biggest-college-football-point-spread-upsets-2021/
This is just from this year. Going into these games, nobody would’ve given any of them a legit shot.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

March madness is totally different. You can get far riding like 6 guys in basketball. Much harder to take out the big dogs in football. 

butler with the side part guy....one half court bank shot from winning at natty.....

12 hours ago, Bison06 said:

I think you’ve outlined pretty well the massive challenges associated with a move up to FBS and the reasons why NDSU may never make the move. Though I hope they do, even if we have to suffer for years in a G5 conference, all the while hoping to become attractive enough for a P5 conference eventually.

So when is NDSU going to magically raise their enrollment to 30k, 40k, 50k? Or even to 20k? Are more students going to be clamoring to get to good ole Fargo once you tack on hundreds of dollars in student fees? NDSU isn’t a private university so they need to have a respectable enrollment like the rest of the P5 land grant schools. At this point the P5 is just as much a possibility for UND as it is for NDSU……… 0.00001% chance! Research, Academics, Enrollment, Athletics all need to drastically improve to ever become a P5 school.

NDSU can’t even get a G5 invite so let’s start there before even considering a potential P5 move!

44 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

So when is NDSU going to magically raise their enrollment to 30k, 40k, 50k? Or even to 20k? Are more students going to be clamoring to get to good ole Fargo once you tack on hundreds of dollars in student fees? NDSU isn’t a private university so they need to have a respectable enrollment like the rest of the P5 land grant schools. At this point the P5 is just as much a possibility for UND as it is for NDSU……… 0.00001% chance! Research, Academics, Enrollment, Athletics all need to drastically improve to ever become a P5 school.

NDSU can’t even get a G5 invite so let’s start there before even considering a potential P5 move!

These exact conversation were had as NDSU transitioned to DI if you’re old enough to remember. See my post above, G5 first then P5 is the scenario I laid out. So I agree with you. The landscape is ever changing, a lot can happen over the course of a couple of decades.

11 hours ago, Bison06 said:

https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/10-biggest-college-football-point-spread-upsets-2021/
This is just from this year. Going into these games, nobody would’ve given any of them a legit shot.

How many of these were playoff games. That is what my point is about. You don’t catch teams sleeping in the FBS playoffs. You got a list of FBS playoff upsets? I’d love to see it.

9 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

How many of these were playoff games. That is what my point is about. You don’t catch teams sleeping in the FBS playoffs. You got a list of FBS playoff upsets? I’d love to see it.

“If” all those teams made the playoffs. And “If” those regular season games were playoff games. “If” those playoff games weren’t at neutral sites and at the same locations.  Than maybe……..

• Like 1

12 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Who cares? It's fun, meaningful football. Rather watch a team scratch and claw to make a quarterfinal than sleepwalk through the Meineke Car Care Bowl. And at some point, there will be an upset.

16 hours ago, Bison06 said:

He’s generating interest, he’s being provocative, he’s driving conversations, he’s riling up “haters” and probably gaining Twitter followers. Why do you think people in his position would even take the time to tweet if they weren’t furthering that goal. 

He's setting click (and radio show callers) bait, and some bit. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

He's setting click (and radio show callers) bait, and some bit. 

Intriguing strategery insulting a portion of your listeners/followers by calling them "rubes" and basically saying they aren't smart enough to understand the stupid thing you said.
Things must not be going great if he's venturing into McFeely territory.
His takes are definitely starting to fall outside the bounds of media or journalism and into opinion or fan.

Dom is a beat writer. He's an NDSU beat writer who is under the thumb of the NDSU coaching staff and doesn't say anything without getting the "ok" from them. If you don't believe this, your delusional. 

He does a fine job covering ND HS athletics, but once he enters the FCS territory, well then he isn't an unbiased member of the media. He is is an NDSU homer, which is smart for his current job. 

23 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Intriguing strategery insulting a portion of your listeners/followers by calling them "rubes" and basically saying they aren't smart enough to understand the stupid thing you said.
Things must not be going great if he's venturing into McFeely territory.
His takes are definitely starting to fall outside the bounds of media or journalism and into opinion or fan.

Any press is good press ... as long as you spell my Twitter handle correctly. :D 

5 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

Dom is a beat writer. He's an NDSU beat writer who is under the thumb of the NDSU coaching staff and doesn't say anything without getting the "ok" from them. If you don't believe this, your delusional. 

But....but....but he said that he says lots of things that the NDSU brass probably doesn't appreciate or approve of!!
Are you saying he wasn't telling the truth??

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

But....but....but he said that he says lots of things that the NDSU brass probably doesn't appreciate or approve of!!
Are you saying he wasn't telling the truth??

That was the best part.  Name ONE thing Dom that you said that was actually critical and negative about NDSU football.  Just one.  

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

They’ve never had the opportunity either. Can’t happen under the current structure.

On paper, Georgia and Alabama would dominate Houston or Utah or Boise St. But any given Saturday as they say.