SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

3 minutes ago, mattim said:

I remember when we only had 17 healthy players, they did well and some players stepped up who had not seen much ice that season. But, how many can we carry on the roster? I do not mean to belittle Albrecht. Keene is a valuable forward who we will count on next year. Reiger may be in a defenseman numbers crunch if it comes down to losing one of our D recruits. So, how many we can carry on the roster? Is that a viable option to the numbers problem we may face next year. Carry more than we need and make everyone earn their ice time?  It is just a question that I do not know the answer for. 

There's also a limit on how many athletic scholarships schools can give out. Albrecht probably isn't on an athletic scholarship. So gotta keep that in mind.

9 minutes ago, mattim said:

I remember when we only had 17 healthy players, they did well and some players stepped up who had not seen much ice that season. But, how many can we carry on the roster? I do not mean to belittle Albrecht. Keene is a valuable forward who we will count on next year. Reiger may be in a defenseman numbers crunch if it comes down to losing one of our D recruits. So, how many we can carry on the roster? Is that a viable option to the numbers problem we may face next year. Carry more than we need and make everyone earn their ice time?  It is just a question that I do not know the answer for. 

I’m not sure if there is a limit, as I know CC carried a ton of players, it just makes running practices a little more challenging, and might take away practice time from other players, which is why they would rather have players developing in juniors with a lot of ice time and playing in key situations.

6 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

There's also a limit on how many athletic scholarships schools can give out. Albrecht probably isn't on an athletic scholarship. So gotta keep that in mind.

Also, keep in mind that guys like Coltyn Sanderson, and I believe Cole Smith started as non scholarship players, or minimal at most.  Character guys that work their butts off help bring up the rest of the players.

19 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Weatherby should be at center , third line center?

adams

pinto

weatherby

senden 

four natural centers 

True centerman......he's too good though not to be top 6 on any team in the country.

Except maybe this team.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, tnt said:

Also, keep in mind that guys like Coltyn Sanderson, and I believe Cole Smith started as non scholarship players, or minimal at most.  Character guys that work their butts off help bring up the rest of the players.

I was under the impression op thought Albrecht may be asked to leave to make room for incoming players. But if those players were promised scholarship money you can't just bring in everyone.

3 hours ago, mattim said:

Not necessarily in these positions but this team without new blood would make the top 15 pairwise: Three lines that would play on any team in the country and two sets of D that would also play major minutes anywhere:

Mishmash-Adams-Guchi

Weatherby-Pinto-Caulfield

Hain-Senden-Blaisdell

Keane-Albrect-Reiger

Kierstad JDB

Frisch Bast

We’re pretty sure of some who are coming in but not all, Berry has some difficult decisions to make. He will have to do his best to convince someone(s) to hold back another year. I know there is a limit to how many can dress, but what is the limit of how many he can carry on the roster. If he does not know what to do with one of his returnees or recruits can he carry an extra player (defenseman) who may not see much ice unless we have injuries? Albrecht, for example, is a practice player and it appears he will not see ice time except for an exhibition game, how many can we carry like him rather than cut a returning player? Does he shorten the number we can have on the roster?

Gaber will be a second liner.

Tychonick is transferring out.

Roll the clock forward to the 2021-2022 season:

Depending on JBD playing a senior year (I’d bet against), your “old man” on defense for North Dakota may well be ... junior Ethan Frisch.

That sounds a lot like Colton Poolman (except Colton had senior Hayden Shaw and junior Andrew Peski when he was a junior). 

1 hour ago, mattim said:

My understanding is that teams are limited only by the number of scholarships they can award.  But there is no limit on the number of players on the roster.  But I am no expert.

37 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

I was under the impression op thought Albrecht may be asked to leave to make room for incoming players. But if those players were promised scholarship money you can't just bring in everyone.

The backlog isn’t really at forward because it wouldn’t hurt for guys like Bowen and Halliday to play another year.  Defense I would think is the area there is a concern of losing a recruit because of the numbers game.

2 hours ago, burd said:

If the forwards play their role, which I think they will.   Watching those games (all winning, which makes them easy to watch anxiety free),  when the team was strongest, our forecheck and backcheck game was amazingly good.   Other teams just could not get comfortable.  It made our D game easier, and I think it led to more scoring from D, who skated up into the play a lot.

One game I really enjoyed watching this week was that 2001 title game we lost to BC.That was an absolutely amazing game. Painful as hell when it happened but amazing.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

If miller AND Moore come in next year they’ll push Frisch/Bast hard.  Also, what if miller gets drafted before kleven?

My opinion (wrong a lot....a lot) is that Kleven goes first.  Some articles I've read have Kleven being a sleeper first rounder because of his skating abilities, but definitely 2nd.  Being 6'4 helps too. 

Right now most have Miller tagged 3-4, but ranked as the 49th NA skater which isn't too far behind Kleven.  Two full seasons in the USHL means he's played meat and potatoes hockey too. 

Pretend Tychonik stayed.....who would they not have brought in?  

8 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Most important question going into next season, who is going to wear a fishbowl? Can't think of a UND that has won it all without at least one since '97. Sanderson made it happen in '16.

Are you anti-birdcage? :D 

The more I think about the defense, the more I'm intrigued.  

Effectively we're going to turn over 7 of 8 players between right now the start of 2021-2022. 

We have three open slots right now; we're sure to lose four a year from now (Bast, Kierstad, Rieger, and JBD as a junior-turn-pro); the last man standing will be Frisch. 

Come 2021-2022 the defense is going to Frisch (a junior!), the three guys brought in fall 2020 (assuming all stay for sophomore years), and four freshmen! 

This is where I start to wonder about Rieger taking on a "Casey Johnson" role and bringing in a fourth defenseman this fall (in case we have a one-and-done freshman in a year). Image the other: bring three this fall, one goes one-and-done, and have to bring in five freshmen defensemen in 2021-2022. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The more I think about the defense, the more I'm intrigued.  

Effectively we're going to turn over 7 of 8 players between right now the start of 2021-2022. 

We have three open slots right now; we're sure to lose four a year from now (Bast, Kierstad, Rieger, and JBD as a junior-turn-pro); the last man standing will be Frisch. 

Come 2021-2022 the defense is going to Frisch (a junior!), the three guys brought in fall 2020 (assuming all stay for sophomore years), and four freshmen! 

This is where I start to wonder about Rieger taking on a "Casey Johnson" role and bringing in a fourth defenseman this fall (in case we have a one-and-done freshman in a year). Image the other: bring three this fall, one goes one-and-done, and have to bring in five freshmen defensemen in 2021-2022. 

The issue I see is minutes. Rieger is so valuable, because he's the ultimate team guy. The #8 Dman that knows he's the emergency guy. That's his role. The only way I see it working is if Berry goes into next year with the mindset that the "extra" skater will always be a D-man. That way 7 are dressed every night and only one in the stands. Of course you can always expect an injury or two.

I do think Miller / Moore (whoever doesn't have Jonny's spot) is special enough that Berry needs to get creative.

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Could Rieger play with that Smith or Johnson energy in the line up? That guy is what I don’t see in the roster right now. 

Smith.....no.

Johnson.....definitely yes.

Rieger IMO is underrated. I've always liked his game.

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Based on what they're likely to lose I think it makes sense to bring both Moore and Miller in.  

Sanderson could easily be one and done.  And this is the last year in GF for JBD.

If he gets drafted within the top 10, can see him as a one and done after UND wins #9. :)