SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

11 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

One and done as a D...that’s aggressive

For top 10 defensemen in the last 20 years, it is sort of a mixed bag (draft position in parenthesis): 

One year - Noah Hanifan (5), Jacob Trouba (9), Erik Johnson (1), Ryan Suter (7)

Two years - Quinn Hughes (7), Cale Makar (4), Zach Werenski (8), Brian Lee (9), Jack Johnson (3), Mike Komisarek (7)

Three years --

Four years -- Ryan Whitney (5)

It's possible I missed a player or two, but I think it's hard to predict whether you'll get one or two years.  You almost certainly won't get three out of a top 10 pick.  One thing that might be working in our favor is there is some thought that this year's draft might be "down" a bit in terms of talent.

The other thing, it's kind of crazy that Michigan has had five of the eleven players listed.

3 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

For top 10 defensemen in the last 20 years, it is sort of a mixed bag (draft position in parenthesis): 

One year - Noah Hanifan (5), Jacob Trouba (9), Erik Johnson (1), Ryan Suter (7)

Two years - Quinn Hughes (7), Cale Makar (4), Zach Werenski (8), Brian Lee (9), Jack Johnson (3), Mike Komisarek (7)

It's possible I missed a player or two, but I think it's hard to predict whether you'll get one or two years.  You almost certainly won't get three out of a top 10 pick.  One thing that might be working in our favor is there is some thought that this year's draft might be "down" a bit in terms of talent.

The other thing, it's kind of crazy that Michigan has had five of the ten players listed.

He’s a big body which could hasten his time here as well...let’s hope we get him for two.  

4 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

He musta started school late- I turned 18 in June after I graduated high school.

Possible. 

9/15 is draft cut-off date to turn 18 so he will be one of the younger players drafted.

Maybe a situation where parent has choice on when to start kids schooling and chooses to start later so he is more mature.

Many parents when considering academics and athletics for their children will time pregnancies or use a "redshirt" to ensure their kids are relatively older than their "peers".

22 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

He musta started school late- I turned 18 in June after I graduated high school.

Isn't it common knowledge that the "cut off" is August. July (& June as well) would be in the grey area, where you'd see kids either be old or young for their class. 

Just now, AJS said:

Isn't it common knowledge that the "cut off" is August. July (& June as well) would be in the grey area, where you'd see kids either be old or young for their class. 

Depends on where you are.  September 1st is most common I believe.  My son is a mid- August and we held him back.  June would be very aggressive, July aggressive in terms of holding back, but what’s the rush....that’s what my wife and I decided.  

For goaltenders and forwards drafted in the top ten:

Goalies:

One year -- Rick DiPietro (1),

Three years -- Al Montoya (6)

Forwards:

One year -- Phil Kessel (5), Kyle Turris (3), Jack Eichel (2), Clayton Keller (7), Tyson Jost (10), Casey Mittelstadt (8), Brady Tkachuk (4), Alex Turcotte (5), Trevor Zegras (9)

One and a half years -- Kyle Okposo (7)

Two years -- Dany Heatley (2), Thomas Vanek (5), Jack Skille (7), Jonathan Toews (3), James van Riemsdyk (2), Colin Wilson (7)

Three years -- Blake Wheeler (5)

Four years -- Eric Nystrom (10)

2 hours ago, SJHovey said:

For goaltenders and forwards drafted in the top ten:

Goalies:

One year -- Rick DiPietro (1),

Three years -- Al Montoya (6)

Forwards:

One year -- Phil Kessel (5), Kyle Turris (3), Jack Eichel (2), Clayton Keller (7), Tyson Jost (10), Casey Mittelstadt (8), Brady Tkachuk (4), Alex Turcotte (5), Trevor Zegras (9)

One and a half years -- Kyle Okposo (7)

Two years -- Dany Heatley (2), Thomas Vanek (5), Jack Skille (7), Jonathan Toews (3), James van Riemsdyk (2), Colin Wilson (7)

Three years -- Blake Wheeler (5)

Four years -- Eric Nystrom (10)

Osh?  oops, just noticed the top ten qualifier, carry one but not so close man

2 hours ago, nodakgirl93 said:

I sure hope they don't. Yikes.

There is a running joke about this with January birthdays in hockey.  For USA hockey and Hockey Canada it is birthyear driven, so an extra 6 months can be a huge benefit to some kids.  Our son was a mid-August...we kept him back and it was best decision ever for his confidence and maturity at school. 

10 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

He’s a big body which could hasten his time here as well...let’s hope we get him for two.  

You just hope he doesn't go to a team like Montreal that will have Eastern Canada screaming at the team to get him out of the states and to Laval regardless of how his first year goes.

I don’t recall the specific numbers, but the birthdays of NHL draft picks are heavily weighted in the first three months of the year.

It definitely makes logical sense.  Having almost a year of physical development advantage over some of the kids in youth hockey is a huge advantage.

25 vs 26 year old makes no difference.  6 vs 7 year old is a different story.

19 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

There is a running joke about this with January birthdays in hockey.  For USA hockey and Hockey Canada it is birthyear driven, so an extra 6 months can be a huge benefit to some kids.  Our son was a mid-August...we kept him back and it was best decision ever for his confidence and maturity at school. 

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=merron/081208

author of the book "Outliers" interview with ESPN a few years back.

The NHL players by birth month chart is also on this page.

• Upvote 1

On 4/10/2020 at 8:19 PM, Oxbow6 said:

True centerman......he's too good though not to be top 6 on any team in the country.

Except maybe this team.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see him play top 6 on this team next year. Maybe not right away though.  He had his flashes last year but was buried a bit. Year 3, could be a breakout for him. These guys are all still developing, you never know when a player can leapfrog someone else.

• Upvote 1

On 4/13/2020 at 9:56 AM, yzerman19 said:

Depends on where you are.  September 1st is most common I believe.  My son is a mid- August and we held him back.  June would be very aggressive, July aggressive in terms of holding back, but what’s the rush....that’s what my wife and I decided.  

In Minnesota June’s are held back almost exclusively at my sons age.

Just now, keikla said:

There was a TTD about Gooch where both Mismash and Adams said he's very vocal and definitely let them know if they weren't playing right.  Not sure if that's just a dynamic among linemates, or if that's how he leads with the entire team.

I'd put money on Guch getting the "C". Senden an "A" for sure. Kierstad and JBD get one as well.

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I wouldn’t be shocked to see him play top 6 on this team next year. Maybe not right away though.  He had his flashes last year but was buried a bit. Year 3, could be a breakout for him. These guys are all still developing, you never know when a player can leapfrog someone else.

Agreed completely. I found myself thinking Weatherby just couldn’t finish because he always seemed to be “right there” and have a ton of grade A in-tight chances that didn’t go. I eventually changed my opinion as he still put up really strong numbers 10g) and just puts himself in great scoring position a lot. Bold prediction but If he can buy himself a split second more time and improve his net front finishing this year (thinking Gregoire or Malone), I wouldn’t be shocked to see him pot 15+ goals - maybe more if he’s in top 6 on a dedicated scoring line and first PP. 

Of course, could be wishful thinking since 16g’s led the team this year. 

17 minutes ago, Brett0909 said:

Agreed completely. I found myself thinking Weatherby just couldn’t finish because he always seemed to be “right there” and have a ton of grade A in-tight chances that didn’t go. I eventually changed my opinion as he still put up really strong numbers 10g) and just puts himself in great scoring position a lot. Bold prediction but If he can buy himself a split second more time and improve his net front finishing this year (thinking Gregoire or Malone), I wouldn’t be shocked to see him pot 15+ goals - maybe more if he’s in top 6 on a dedicated scoring line and first PP. 

Of course, could be wishful thinking since 16g’s led the team this year. 

Time and space.  So much goes into creating that in addition to the physical gifts.