SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

Here's my thoughts from what I've been hearing.

Mismash - Adams - Guchi
Gaber - Pinto - Caulfield
Blaisdell - Weatherby - Budy
Hain - Senden - Ness
Keane - Rizzo - Albrecht

Think we here at SS are a little high on Rizzo. Could be in a suit for a bit. Definitely low on Gaber. Been told that he's gonna be a big-time contributor. Explosive skater. Ness will need a spot, too. 

Maybe try Blaisdell on the second line, but Gaber has the skill. Maybe flip Keane and Budy. Judd is going to have a season, IMO. 

56 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Mismash - Adams - Guchi
Hain - Senden - Ness
Keane - Rizzo - Albrecht

Think we here at SS are a little high on Rizzo. Could be in a suit for a bit. Definitely low on Gaber. Been told that he's gonna be a big-time contributor. Explosive skater. Ness will need a spot, too. 

Maybe try Blaisdell on the second line, but Gaber has the skill. Maybe flip Keane and Budy. Judd is going to have a season, IMO. 

Aren’t most people here also putting him on the 2nd line? So not sure how that’s too low. 

31 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Aren’t most people here also putting him on the 2nd line? So not sure how that’s too low. 

I've seen a couple with him top 6, but I guess I was thinking most aren't seeing him that way. If that's the case, I've read it wrong.

4 hours ago, UNDlaw80 said:

We have enough depth to load up the top 2 lines and roll all 4.   

Mismash – Adams – Kawaguchi
Weatherby – Pinto – Gaber
Hain – Senden – Blaisdell
Budy – Keane – Caulfield

I just can't see Weatherby playing wing. He's too good in the middle. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Mismash - Adams - Guchi
Hain - Senden - Ness
Keane - Rizzo - Albrecht

Think it may be a result of how big of a get he was when he originally committed, that and Massimo Rizzo is a sweet name!

7 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I've seen a couple with him top 6, but I guess I was thinking most aren't seeing him that way. If that's the case, I've read it wrong.

Yeah, he is in a lot of people’s. I don’t personally have him top 6 for a few reasons, main one being I’m just not putting any freshmen in my top 6 to start the season. 

29 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I just can't see Weatherby playing wing. He's too good in the middle. 

Move Pinto to wing then.    

I'm just not sold on Pinto, Adams, Weatherby and Senden all down the middle.  All 4 will be vital cogs next year, and, implementing them that way just ensures they take ice time away from eachother.                

7 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Move Pinto to wing then.    

I'm just not sold on Pinto, Adams, Weatherby and Senden all down the middle.  All 4 will be vital cogs next year, and, implementing them that way just ensures they take ice time away from eachother.                

So move two players from their best position? Why not just slot them as four centers and roll four lines? Depth is always a good thing. 

13 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

So move two players from their best position? Why not just slot them as four centers and roll four lines? Depth is always a good thing. 

That's where I'm at.

Let's use the new Ralph as a starting point. Let's also pretend that each player has a video game type rating. Next years forwards wouldn't have the high end (Take the highest 6 ratings), from honestly a fair number of teams that UND has had since that point. Wouldn't be the lowest, but not the highest either. I'll say slightly above average. What I do think is if you look at the #10 guy and down (4th line / extra skaters), that next years team will be the best we've seen since the new Ralph opened. 

Given next year the high end depth will be like something we haven't seen in a long time, there shouldn't be an emphasis on Top 6 / Bottom 6. Weatherby will not be surrounded by normal 4th line guys. There's no need to try to fit players into certain lines. Play them at their position of strength and roll four lines. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Because you rarely roll 4 lines for an entire game, this hold true for even deep teams.  Vital players are always gonna receive the most ice time, even if you exclude PP/PK minutes.  

I mean I suppose we could play them all at C, but then I'd expect a lot of double shifting at W.  That's fine by me.   

The current group of second tier guys is the best we've had in a long time.  I'm a big fan of Weatherby, Hain, Blaisdell, Senden , Caufield and Keane.  I have no problem having any of them on the ice.

It sure is nice to have 3rd and 4th lines that have a legitimate chance of scoring each game.  

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Because you rarely roll 4 lines for an entire game, this hold true for even deep teams.  Vital players are always gonna receive the most ice time, even if you exclude PP/PK minutes.  

I mean I suppose we could play them all at C, but then I'd expect a lot of double shifting at W.  

Rarely? I'd argue our best teams in recent history rolled four lines all game long. We'd be more likely to pull players out of position if we didn't have depth, but this team will be very deep.

56 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Definitely agree.  Keep them at their best positions until someone emerges that can replace them.  Weatherby might not get as many 5on5 minutes as the top two lines, but he will definitely be on PP, probably be on the PK, and late in the third down a goal he is getting elevated to play with Pinto on the second line.

1 hour ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Move Pinto to wing then.    

They already tried this. Against Michigan Tech. It did not work. He looked completely uncomfortable and did not play well. That’s why Weatherby was the one moved to wing later in the season instead of Pinto. 

Pinto at 2nd line center, Weatherby at 3rd. Embrace it. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Rarely? I'd argue our best teams in recent history rolled four lines all game long. We'd be more likely to pull players out of position if we didn't have depth, but this team will be very deep.

Huh?  Rolling 4 lines is a strategy predicated on game situations.   Our best teams were in a position to do it more than others, primarily based on being ahead on the scoreboard, but, even so, in no parallel universe did all 4 lines receive equal playing time; nor do I ever recall a key player being placed on the 4th line.  JMHO of course.       

1 hour ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Huh?  Rolling 4 lines is a strategy predicated on game situations.   Our best teams were in a position to do it more than others, primarily based on being ahead on the scoreboard, but, even so, in no parallel universe did all 4 lines receive equal playing time; nor do I ever recall a key player being placed on the 4th line.  JMHO of course.       

The reason they wouldn't be rolling 4 lines would be due to special teams play, and in that scenario Senden would see plenty of ice time and probably Weatherby as well due to his faceoff ability. 

8 hours ago, UNDlaw80 said:

I definitely disagree with it being situational. Teams with strong depth play all four lines more evenly than those with less depth. By matching lines, you can keep your team fresh and not lose scoring opportunities with whomever is in the ice. Our best teams had tremendous depth and evened out playing time as much as possible. 

Being able to have a guy like Weatherby centering the fourth line late in a game against a team's top line who is gassed or their less talented fourth line is a clear advantage to us.