SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs DU....Saturday Edition

Oxbow6

1 minute ago, bcblues said:

That was a great sweep, and perhaps more importantly, that was some smart play to not take any stupid penalties during the 3rd period.  Look forward to next weekend.

Yeah.  Notice how Thome was keeping the guys from drawing penalties in the scrum around his net?  These guys are playing smarter hockey than they did last year. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

With the win, both Denver and SCSU are eliminated from the chase for the Penrose Cup.  

We are 8 points up with 6 games to go. In order for Duluth to Catch us, they would have to go 6-0 and we would have to go 3-3. Take care of business and we are looking pretty good. 

44 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Another real business like performance. Game really could've been broke open in the 1st credit DU's goalie for keeping them in it. DU's goal was real weak but Thome made up for it with some huge saves as well. Something that really bugs me that needs to stop is Thome holding back a teammate on every little scrum in front of it. Stop it Peter. Sometimes it just needs to happen. That last minute might've been the loudest it has been all year with the Lets Go Sioux chant.

Agree. If I'm sticking up for a player last thing I want that player to do is tell me to stop.

Just skate out of the way like every other goalie.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I don’t mind Thome preventing a possible penalty by grabbing a team mate after a stoppage of play - just my opinion 

Agree, taking unnecessary penalties is what is going to cost you come tournament time.  

12 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

You’re kidding right?  You “let it happen” and it could have been 6 on 4 the last few minutes. Thome did the smart thing. We need to stay out of the box no matter what. 

Exactly this. UND plays 5x5 and they're the best team on the ice most nights. The team gets in trouble taking undisciplined penalties and giving up power plays.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Something that really bugs me that needs to stop is Thome holding back a teammate on every little scrum in front of it. Stop it Peter. Sometimes it just needs to happen.

Maturity and leadership. 

One hotheaded penalty is all it takes to derail an entire championship season. Discipline and focus, this team seems to have it. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, CarpeRemote said:

Maturity and leadership. 

One hotheaded penalty is all it takes to derail an entire championship season. Discipline and focus, this team seems to have it. 

Last year Rhett takes a stupid penalty there and we’re down 2 men. I’m 100% Thome grabbing someone and holding them back. 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, R_Schneider_4 said:

Last year Rhett takes a stupid penalty there and we’re down 2 men. I’m 100% Thome grabbing someone and holding them back. 

Anyone else think if this year's #22 was around the 2 years missed the NCAAs instead of the #22 that actually was on the roster I could have enjoyed my ticket in Sioux Falls and Fargo?

#22 that is currently on the roster might be the best 200 ft center I've seen at UND since some kid named Toews.  No offense to a guy named Schmaltz.

8 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Anyone else think if this year's #22 was around the 2 years missed the NCAAs instead of the #22 that actually was on the roster I could have enjoyed my ticket in Sioux Falls and Fargo?

Agreed 100%, I was at both places too. Would like to see it in Sioux Falls again, but with our team there too.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Feff said:

Exactly this. UND plays 5x5 and they're the best team on the ice most nights. The team gets in trouble taking undisciplined penalties and giving up power plays.

DU had 18 seconds with a man advantage last night.

51 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

#22 that is currently on the roster might be the best 200 ft center I've seen at UND since some kid named Toews.  No offense to a guy named Schmaltz.

No doubt.  Pinto makes such a difference.  That whole line of newcomers does.  Michaud always adds intensity and the game seems to be slowing down for Judd.

8 hours ago, iramurphy said:

You’re kidding right?  You “let it happen” and it could have been 6 on 4 the last few minutes. Thome did the smart thing. We need to stay out of the box no matter what. 

He does it every time he freezes the puck. Most of the time it is just innocent jawing and he jumps in. Very, very few times has he done it where he may have actually prevented a penalty. Most times it would be 1 from each team going anyway. Has to be very frustrating for the guys.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

12 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

He does it every time he freezes the puck. Most of the time it is just innocent jawing and he jumps in. Very, very few times has he done it where he may have actually prevented a penalty. Most times it would be 1 from each team going anyway. Has to be very frustrating for the guys.

Interesting.  Are you close to the players, so you feel comfortable saying how they feel about it.  

I frankly like it that Thome takes ownership of what goes on in his crease area.   It's his domain, and I'm guessing his teammates are good with how he manages it, including those he held back.  Just a guess.   I don't know any of those guys. 

• Upvote 2