SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs DU....Saturday Edition

Oxbow6

23 minutes ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

Since the rule book says attempting to clip and missing is a minor and making contact below the knees is a major I guess your wrong. 

Rule 639 | Tripping/Clipping/Leg Checking/Slew Footing

(Note 1) Tripping is the act of placing a stick, knee, foot, arm, hand or elbow in such a manner that causes his opponent to lose balance or fall.

(Note 2) Clipping is the act of deliberately leaving the feet or lowering the body for the purpose of making contact with the opponent at or below the knees.

(Note 3) Leg check is the act of extending the leg from the front or from behind for the purpose of tripping the opponent.

(Note 4) Slew Footing is the act of a player using his leg or foot to knock or kick an opponent's feet from under him. This is done by pushing an opponent's upper body backwards with an arm or elbow at the same time using a forward motion of his leg causing the opponent to fall to the ice.

(a) A minor or major penalty shall be assessed under this rule for any of the actions described above.

(Note) However, no penalty shall be assessed under this rule if, in the opinion of the Referee, the player was clearly hook-checking or poke-checking the puck for the purpose of gaining possession.

(b) A major penalty plus a game misconduct penalty shall be assessed to any player who injures an opponent as a result of tripping, clipping, leg checking or slew footing. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

It’s actually clipping and should have been a major. But since they didn’t call the major for the elbow to the head move on. 

I'll respectfully disagree.  In clipping situations it's got to be an intentional takeout like what happened to Drake a few years ago.  Smith dove for the puck in a poke check attempt and Brink in protecting the puck and turning his body unfortunately ended up on the wrong end of it.

I think it was a tripping penalty they missed.  My opinion. 

• Upvote 1

If you watch the full replay Brink wound up for a slap shot, started to stumble, which caused Smith to go for broke to clear the zone. Brink surprisingly regains his footing, turns to protect the puck as Smith slides into the back of his legs since Brink had turned around.  2 minutes tripping sure, but if you're calling for a major it's only because it resulted in an injury on a type of play that happens multiple times a weekend and is not called "clipping".  Hope Bobby is back soon, he's got a rocket of a shot and is a fun player to watch. I've noticed every time we play Denver and someone gets injured the keyboard warriors are calling for a suspension/kick said player out of college hockey.  It is getting kind of silly.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I've noticed every time we play Denver and someone gets injured the keyboard warriors are calling for a suspension/kick said player out of college hockey.

I think a lifetime ban from the game is more appropriate in this instance.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, bcblues said:

How many refs can skate on the head of a pin? It is over and done.  The call was made.

Bring on St. Cloud!

Exactly.

Did a UND player get injured? Do I care at this point?

On 2/16/2020 at 2:38 PM, Wilbur said:

I'll respectfully disagree.  In clipping situations it's got to be an intentional takeout like what happened to Drake a few years ago.  Smith dove for the puck in a poke check attempt and Brink in protecting the puck and turning his body unfortunately ended up on the wrong end of it.

I think it was a tripping penalty they missed.  My opinion. 

Here's another way of looking at this non-call.
Keep in mind, Embellishing is hardly called.

Keep in mind, the play happened pretty fast. In the previous posts link, there is a live time replay link a few entries down, look at it.

Smith dove for the puck and came very close to the puck with his stick as Brink was hit. 
Brink let his stick go up in the air with a lift and showed the embellishing type of flop that plays out in some games. 
Maybe if Brink goes down without the extra motions, a penalty gets called?

Maybe UND gets a break here, because of the embellishing that is going on now a days? Refs have this "is there embellishing" in the back of their minds, and no call is made?

I heard someone mention this is passing but swapping the old #22 for the new #22 has had a huge impact on this turn around. Gardner is a great player but didn’t bring the offensive side needed for a #1 center. And then add his knack for taking a penalty (or two) at the worst possible times he kept resetting the momentum on a team that had a hard time generating any. Pinto has been a natural fit in the top two center role and has elevated the play of his line and the team in general. Certainly there are many other reasons for the turn around this year  but this one is up there. 

2 hours ago, TNF said:

I heard someone mention this is passing but swapping the old #22 for the new #22 has had a huge impact on this turn around. Gardner is a great player but didn’t bring the offensive side needed for a #1 center. And then add his knack for taking a penalty (or two) at the worst possible times he kept resetting the momentum on a team that had a hard time generating any. Pinto has been a natural fit in the top two center role and has elevated the play of his line and the team in general. Certainly there are many other reasons for the turn around this year  but this one is up there. 

Gardner was good in a shut down role and the occasional lacrosse-style Faceoff-get off. We needed too much of him last year. Really not much in common between the two besides the number.

Wasn't surprised to see Weatherby taking the last draw (granted he got tossed). He's had some really good faceoff stats whenever I've looked lately.

10 hours ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

And just think... a year ago it was “fire Berry”, “revoke 80% of the scholarships”, “burn down the Ralph” and “bring Hak back”...

With all due respect, Mr. Shaw, some changes were definitely necessary - and perhaps overdue.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Gardner was good in a shut down role and the occasional lacrosse-style Faceoff-get off. We needed too much of him last year. Really not much in common between the two besides the number.

Wasn't surprised to see Weatherby taking the last draw (granted he got tossed). He's had some really good faceoff stats whenever I've looked lately.

Great observation.

Why did it seem like the puck was hopping off or slipping off of everyone's stick this weekend? 

Caulfield had "Crisco-stick" a couple times in front. So did a couple defensemen. 

Mitchell for DU had it at (for them at least) the worst possible time. 

About Brink:

Was Smith going for the poke-check. Yes.
Was Smith intentionally (key word, see above) leaving his feet to go into Brink's legs? No. 

Did Brink turn his back to an attacker? Yes. 

Watch the replay. The big problem is Brink caught the toe of a skate because he really wasn't back on balance after the initial twitch of balance that threw him off. If the toe didn't catch, Brink goes down, Brink hops up, and Brink hammers the next pass that comes his way. 

How it is now, I wish him a speedy recovery. (It's not good for the league to have injured stars.) 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

About Brink:

Was Smith going for the poke-check. Yes.
Was Smith intentionally (key word, see above) leaving his feet to go into Brink's legs? No. 

Did Brink turn his back to an attacker? Yes. 

Watch the replay. The big problem is Brink caught the toe of a skate because he really wasn't back on balance after the initial twitch of balance that threw him off. If the toe didn't catch, Brink goes down, Brink hops up, and Brink hammers the next pass that comes his way. 

How it is now, I wish him a speedy recovery. (It's not good for the league to have injured stars.) 

The gear sent flying into the air made me laugh out loud - it’s unfortunate that the play happened though.  

Hi guys, thanks for the nice comments, got a Q-A with a UND Hockey recruit and more coming this week. If you want to be listed as a supporter feel free to check out our paypal. I will list you as a supporter in every article as I have. Re-upping the article with our paypal in it, we want to be an option to cover more UND and underdog stories in college sports around the country (we covered MVSU When they played UND Football, wrote two recaps that night). If you want to be a part of this feel free to donate/share the link especially with folks who own a business. We do not have a patreon yet because I do not want to take money from people monthly without defining more what that would look like. Thoughts there are appreciated. 

https://seamoresports.com/2019/10/23/looking-ahead-support-independent-journalism/