SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

I would rather hang in the weeds longer and not have the target on our backs so early. Keeps the guys looking up.  For some programs being ranked #1 is a carrot to help in recruiting, but I don’t think that should be an issue for us.  I won’t be preoccupied until January when the Pairwise starts to mean something.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, tnt said:

I would rather hang in the weeds longer and not have the target on our backs so early. Keeps the guys looking up.  For some programs being ranked #1 is a carrot to help in recruiting, but I don’t think that should be an issue for us.  I won’t be preoccupied until January when the Pairwise starts to mean something.

I see your point, but after the last two seasons it might be good everyone, especially recruits, see we are back. 

I truly believed that as frustrating as last year was, they were really close to being a really good team. What's the difference this year? Their strengths last year (Defense / Goaltending) are better this year. This isn't a surprise, given they only lost Shaw. Currently, UND's Save % is at .924, last year as a team it was around .900. You are going to win a lot of games only averaging giving up 1.53 Goals a game. Penalty Kill is playing at an elite level as well (much improved from last year). This is a Championship caliber Defensive team in all facets (Goaltending / Defense / PK).

This isn't a juggernaut offensively, but they have a solid deep collection of Forwards. Each line is capable and has found the back of the net. The difference is simply guys finally taking that step forward. Nobody took a leap, but all that was needed was guys getting a little better. The influx of new players has helped as well, it was a very solid (& deep group). Power Play is back to average, but more importantly is timely goals. 

Side note: What an amazing job this coaching staff does on Face offs. UND is currently at 53% which puts them 9th in the country. That was a concern going into this year losing the two top % in college hockey this summer. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, AJS said:

I truly believed that as frustrating as last year was, they were really close to being a really good team. What's the difference this year? Their strengths last year (Defense / Goaltending) are better this year. This isn't a surprise, given they only lost Shaw. Currently, UND's Save % is at .924, last year as a team it was around .900. You are going to win a lot of games only averaging giving up 1.53 Goals a game. Penalty Kill is playing at an elite level as well (much improved from last year). This is a Championship caliber Defensive team in all facets (Goaltending / Defense / PK).

This isn't a juggernaut offensively, but they have a solid deep collection of Forwards. Each line is capable and has found the back of the net. The difference is simply guys finally taking that step forward. Nobody took a leap, but all that was needed was guys getting a little better. The influx of new players has helped as well, it was a very solid (& deep group). Power Play is back to average, but more importantly is timely goals. 

Side note: What an amazing job this coaching staff does on Face offs. UND is currently at 53% which puts them 9th in the country. That was a concern going into this year losing the two top % in college hockey this summer. 

I said the same thing the last two years. 2 years ago I said we could beat anyone in the country 2-1 just as easily as we could lose 2-1. In 2018 we played UMD in the 3rd place game at the Excel and both teams went into that game believing that they needed to win that game to make the tournament. UND handled them pretty easily and then over the next 5-6 hours you had 5-6 things take place in other conferences that jumbled the pairwise and UMD gets in and wins the national title.

For this year I think if the Penalty kill can remain this effective or close to it and the power play continues to tick upward those will be keys for UND as we get into February and March.

Last year we finished at 94.1%(PK +PP) and this year we are currently at 111.6%. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, petey23 said:

I said the same thing the last two years. 2 years ago I said we could beat anyone in the country 2-1 just as easily as we could lose 2-1. In 2018 we played UMD in the 3rd place game at the Excel and both teams went into that game believing that they needed to win that game to make the tournament. UND handled them pretty easily and then over the next 5-6 hours you had 5-6 things take place in other conferences that jumbled the pairwise and UMD gets in and wins the national title.

For this year I think if the Penalty kill can remain this effective or close to it and the power play continues to tick upward those will be keys for UND as we get into February and March.

Last year we finished at 94.1%(PK +PP) and this year we are currently at 111.6%. 

This was always my response to the Fire Berry crowd, we're not far off and I think we will see the fruits of his labor(recruiting) this year and the next. 8-1-2 is a lights out start and I'd put odds on them taking at least 4 points with a chance of a sweep vs SCSU. Then we can put a pounding on a reeling Gophers team in Mpls and take care of an injury depleted WMU team to end the 1st half somewhere around 13-2-2 or 12-3-2 IMO. I'm not big on crowning teams before Christmas but this team has the pieces to be special and make an honest run at #9. We are lucky enough that we get to enjoy the ride.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

This was always my response to the Fire Berry crowd, we're not far off and I think we will see the fruits of his labor(recruiting) this year and the next. 8-1-2 is a lights out start and I'd put odds on them taking at least 4 points with a chance of a sweep vs SCSU. Then we can put a pounding on a reeling Gophers team in Mpls and take care of an injury depleted WMU team to end the 1st half somewhere around 13-2-2 or 12-3-2 IMO. I'm not big on crowning teams before Christmas but this team has the pieces to be special and make an honest run at #9. We are lucky enough that we get to enjoy the ride.

Last night I watched both games (gone deer hunting), thanks to the Minot (SiouxFanatic), TY!

Watching 2 weekend games after you know the final scores is kind of different, but one might look at all the aspects of the game a little more and replay some. Killing those penalties!!!
Those road games I'll call HUGE for our season, and I know it's early; but we played UND OLD TIME hockey.  Denver has to be licking their wounds.
There were spurts of greatness in the last two years, but things fizzeled out near the end with finishing just under the bubble.
This could be a team to watch and enjoy, what a jack rabbit start! Since The Ralph was built we were heavy on the success of the last half of the season. If we can regain that play and continue with what we started this season; the 2 year NCAA's absense will be stopped.

On 11/18/2019 at 10:14 AM, scpa0305 said:

Potentially.  But 28 needs to play.  That no look pass last Saturday was a beauty.  Get a big kid like that some PT so he becomes more comfortable.  14 needs a top 6 spot too.

I think Judd has earned a regular spot in the top 12 as he was actually listed as the 4th line wing Saturday, maybe Friday too....can't remember.  

Right now the line chemistry is there.

Gooch-Adams-Mismash:  Can't change

Michaud-Pinto-Jasper:  Can't change.  Jasper with a big step so far this year.  

Hain-Senden-Smith:  This line just works.  They tried to put Hain top 6, but this line just grinds and can play against anyone.  

Blaisdell-Bowen-Judd:  Judd has to play over Yon and Johnson.  Blaisdell too, and Bowen is a valuable penalty killer.

Then an all healthy d core....Can't sit Peski....he is playing too well.  Pooly, Bast, Kierstad, JBD, Peski, Johny.....

Tough choice....Keane or Frisch as extra skater?

15 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I really like these top two lines, and I still think that Mismash and Pinto have another level that we'll see.  Mismash has been getting lots of good looks but the points haven't come as much yet.  They will as the season progresses I have a feeling.  And Pinto will only continue to get better as he acclimates more to the league.

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I think Judd has earned a regular spot in the top 12 as he was actually listed as the 4th line wing Saturday, maybe Friday too....can't remember.  

Hain-Senden-Smith:  This line just works.  They tried to put Hain top 6, but this line just grinds and can play against anyone.  

Blaisdell-Bowen-Judd:  Judd has to play over Yon and Johnson.  Blaisdell too, and Bowen is a valuable penalty killer.

Then an all healthy d core....Can't sit Peski....he is playing too well.  Pooly, Bast, Kierstad, JBD, Peski, Johny.....

That's a hell of a line up, - look out Clowns.

6 hours ago, brianvf said:

I really like these top two lines, and I still think that Mismash and Pinto have another level that we'll see.  Mismash has been getting lots of good looks but the points haven't come as much yet.  They will as the season progresses I have a feeling.  And Pinto will only continue to get better as he acclimates more to the league.

Things will start to click for Pinto.  He's not Toews, but his vision and ability to possess the puck are Toewsish.  He's proven he can both dish and shoot the puck.   He will have some big games and be part of some highlight reel goals.  It's been three years since opponents had someone they had to truly respect in the O zone, and that changes a lot.  

7 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I must need to watch closer because I haven’t liked this combo either time they used it.

*shrugs* 

I think Frisch is ahead of Tychonik at this point but I could see rolling with Tychonik or quite possibly going one game per weekend for each. I would prefer using the extra skater to dress both though as I think in most cases 12 forwards is plenty. I agree that Judd has come along way and has earned a spot and I would say Keane would be ahead of both Yon and Johnson in the forward pecking order.

Can we give Peski some much earned props after he got ripped on here all last year? He's been shot out of a cannon to start this season, talk about a guy taking a step! Not even on the penalty kill but providing offense and creating chances, he's just been fun to watch so far this year.

8 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Mismash has 4 points on the year. That’s not very good at all, he could’ve moved off that line and put with Michaud/pinto’s line unless there is position overload.  Jasper had never been on the second line, only PP.

8 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Mismash has 4 points on the year. That’s not very good at all, he could’ve moved off that line and put with Michaud/pinto’s line unless there is position overload.  Jasper had never been on the second line, only PP.

Technically, Jasper has played 2nd line twice. Saturday and during the Tech game. They had him center the line during the Tech game, and at wing on Saturday. 

I only remember because I thought it was weird they moved Pinto to wing the first time, and thought it was weird they put Jasper at wing on Saturday. 

• Upvote 1