SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

32 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Not necessarily. If Mankato ends up the number one overall seed, they’ll get placed first at the regional closest to home, which is Colorado. I have seen very few (if any) scenarios in the last 10 plus seasons where the overall number one was placed at a regional that wasn’t closest to home. 

People can argue on attendance all they want, that didn’t give us the St Paul regional in 2016 over SCSU when they were seeded higher either. We would’ve brought more fans there but NCAA didn’t care. 

I'd put my money on the committee moving Mankato to PA where attendance won't matter. Pack Colorado or add more to PA. I think they'll try and pack Colorado.

9 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'd put my money on the committee moving Mankato to PA where attendance won't matter. 

It won’t matter in Loveland if Denver is there. And that is exactly what the committee will think. (Not that it’s necessarily true) 

But if people want to make assumptions, by all means. 

2 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

It won’t matter in Loveland if Denver is there. And that is exactly what the committee will think. (Not that it’s necessarily true) 

But if people want to make assumptions, by all means. 

Not really talking about DU, honestly. Talking about us haha. Our fanbase will bring a lot more to Colorado than to Allentown.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Not really talking about DU, honestly. Talking about us haha. Our fanbase will bring a lot more to Colorado than to Allentown.

Well yeah, there’s more of us. :lol:

As of now, Denver still is in no 1 seed territory, so that’ll be something to watch because this conversation is irrelevant if they hold firm there. 

2 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Well yeah, there’s more of us. :lol:

As of now, Denver still is in no 1 seed territory, so that’ll be something to watch because this conversation is irrelevant if they hold firm there. 

Yeah, if we're both 1-seeds, we'll go Allentown. Would be really interesting if Mankato is a 1-seed, too. Three western teams and two of them will need to go east or "Midwest" LOL and one could very well be the No. 1 overall seed. 

1 hour ago, Fetch said:

Is there likely scenarios yet for the playoffs ? Ive heard there is a possibility of playing in Loveland Colorado ? ? ? 

Way to early for Bracketology to really mean anything.  Aside from having to travel to Worcester, it looks like one of the better Regionals to be in.

From the article below:

The Bracket:

Albany Regional (Albany, NY - Host ECAC)
1. Minnesota State vs. 16 Sacred Heart
8. Ohio State vs. 9. Arizona State

Worcester Regional (Worcester, MA - Host Holy Cross)
2. North Dakota vs. 14. Clarkson
7. Bowling Green vs. 10 Massachusetts

Allentown Regional (Allentown, PA - Host Penn State)
3. Cornell vs. 15. Notre Dame
6. Penn State vs. 12. UMass Lowell

Loveland Regional (Loveland, CO - Host Denver)
4. Denver vs. 13. Michigan Tech
5. Boston College vs. 11. Minnesota Duluth

https://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-men/article/2019-12-11/college-hockey-bracketology-how-things-look-heading-winter?fbclid=IwAR1ltfNdFd98fw8a5-zt4I8NvsQz_5YRUtFL7BqAJkFEEAhsUNGUPAy9BNA

47 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Yeah, if we're both 1-seeds, we'll go Allentown. Would be really interesting if Mankato is a 1-seed, too. Three western teams and two of them will need to go east or "Midwest" LOL and one could very well be the No. 1 overall seed. 

Hopefully Denver and und end up as different seeds. Lots of season left. If only und and mankato remain as 1 seeds i could see und in colorado. It will be a flight for either school so maybe that would make the decision easier. For mankato and und

5 hours ago, mattim said:

Since Denver is the HOST, they will be in Loveland no matter where they are seeded. If Both UND and Mankato are #1 seeds and Denver is not a #1 seed, the higher ranked of the other two will go to CO, I think! 

Sounds right to me. My understanding is there’s another variable too — if DU makes the tourney, we can’t be placed in the same regional if it would mean an intra-conference first round matchup, unless unavoidable. So no UND-DU 1/4 seed or 2/3 seed matchup either. Same thing for other NCHC teams of course. Definitely a bummer we’re not hosting after hosting and not making it previously. 

Obviously a lot of hockey left but can’t complain when we’re prognosticating what our matchup will be if we maintain a 1 seed or even #1 overall. 

17 hours ago, Fader said:

Way to early for Bracketology to really mean anything.  Aside from having to travel to Worcester, it looks like one of the better Regionals to be in.

The Bracket:

Anytime Worcester enters the regional equation, the funny math usually pops out of the woodwork and — SURPRISE! — Boston College ends up with a short bus trip instead of a long plane ride.  No way Clarkson or UMass are placed in Worcester, lest those pretty boys from BC be forced to ride coach on Delta as they fly to a part of the US they’d never knew existed.

39 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

*Wilbur rant*

Love how it's okay for FCS football to have home sites for the postseason but hockey is still empty regional sites.....

And the home crowd can actually have a significant impact on a football game, beyond just "hyping up the team."

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Anytime Worcester enters the regional equation, the funny math usually pops out of the woodwork and — SURPRISE! — Boston College ends up with a short bus trip instead of a long plane ride.  No way Clarkson or UMass are placed in Worcester, lest those pretty boys from BC be forced to ride coach on Delta.

Technically, UMass, Clarkson AND BC could all be placed there since at the moment they are different seeds. 

But your point still stands, we’ve seen this play out before. :whistling:

17 hours ago, mattim said:

Since Denver is the HOST, they will be in Loveland no matter where they are seeded. If Both UND and Mankato are #1 seeds and Denver is not a #1 seed, the higher ranked of the other two will go to CO, I think! 

I still think they'd send UND to Colorado over Mankato. The difference between location is nothing since it's a flight either way. They'll send UND to Colorado to get more attendance there and Mankato to Allentown.

20 hours ago, Fetch said:

Is there likely scenarios yet for the playoffs ? Ive heard there is a possibility of playing in Loveland Colorado ? ? ? 

I have my West regional tickets in hand. The Budweiser Center is six miles from my house!

19 hours ago, Fader said:

From the article below:

The Bracket:

Albany Regional (Albany, NY - Host ECAC)
1. Minnesota State vs. 16 Sacred Heart
8. Ohio State vs. 9. Arizona State

Allentown Regional (Allentown, PA - Host Penn State)
3. Cornell vs. 15. Notre Dame
6. Penn State vs. 12. UMass Lowell

https://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-men/article/2019-12-11/college-hockey-bracketology-how-things-look-heading-winter?fbclid=IwAR1ltfNdFd98fw8a5-zt4I8NvsQz_5YRUtFL7BqAJkFEEAhsUNGUPAy9BNA

I'd bet gfhockey's salary that they'd flip the Worcester and Loveland 2 vs. 3 bands, NO. DOUBT. 

While that would be A LOT of fun, it would also be very annoying haha.

2 hours ago, Feff said:

Anyone else find it kind of annoying there's only a single regional west of PA? 

As I recall, Allentown/Penn St was the ONLY bid for the Midwest regional.  Not a lot of options. And judging by the attendance at Sioux Falls and Scheel's Arena last year,  there can be a lot of risk.  Good to see Denver put in a bid too.

23 minutes ago, Fader said:

As I recall, Allentown/Penn St was the ONLY bid for the Midwest regional.  Not a lot of options. And judging by the attendance at Sioux Falls and Scheel's Arena last year,  there can be a lot of risk.  Good to see Denver put in a bid too.

UND put in a bid, (not sure if it was Sioux Falls or Fargo), but only got one of the year’s they bid for. I’m not sure if it was for Midwest or West or why that should matter. (Just rearrange them. ) Next year Midwest will be in Fargo and West will be in Colorado. So at least there will be 2 out “West” next year. 

3 hours ago, Fader said:

UND tried a bid at the Ralph. NCAA had another choice. 

This is the perfect time to evaluate where the team is at heading into the second half of the season. It's fair to say that they have exceeded everyone's expectations, even those that thought they had a really good team coming into the year. 14-1-2 (7-0-1) is something special. The last two years have been rough and disappointing, but the way this team is structured is doing a lot to make that a distant memory. What I mean is the balance and depth on this team is incredible. There isn't one class or one player or one line that is carrying this team, which bodes well for the future (i.e. this isn't a one year window type situation). It's so exciting to see each player either match or exceed expectations. This team won't match this first half in the second, but they should grow. Having the second line being two true freshman and a graduate Senior playing together is only one example of a likely scenario where they will get bet better as they get more comfortable playing together and gain experience (Pinto / Caulfield). I'm ready to enjoy the ride, it'll be a lot of fun knowing they'll have as good of chance as any to win it all. 

• Upvote 2