SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

17 hours ago, petey23 said:

If Poolman, JBD, or Kierstad were a healthy scratch I think that would raise some eyebrows.

Tychonek, Bast, and Peski are your options.

I think dressing 7 d-men makes sense. With all the special team play this last weekend we were rolling 9 forwards quite a bit of the time. If you go down one for an injury it isn't a big deal to double shift a couple guys or roll 3 lines and/or give the other 2 forwards shifts here and there.

Then it's Peski.

19 hours ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

SR- C. Poolman, A, Peski, C.Johnson

JR- G. Bast, M. Kiersted, J. Rieger

SO- JBD, J. Tychonick

FR- E. Frisch

I'm thinking Frisch will get some playing time for both the short term depth and long term benefits. If no one leaves early you'll have to bring in at least two defensemen next year. Rieger hasn't played a ton in his time here and depending how this year goes for each guy we could lose two or three underclassmen. So getting Frisch in there as long as he's not hurting the team maybe very important for next year if they have bring in three or four freshmen.

Be interesting to see how this shakes out.

3 seniors, but really replacing 2 spots.

Kierstad and JBD are potential early exits.

Rieger will most likely be a depth guy. So we have 3-5 slots taken next year and potentially 6 d-man slated to come in. A couple of them will likely be first round draft picks unless their games slip quite a bit this season. 

Slated to come in next year.

Kleven--likely first round draft pick

Sanderson--likely first round draft pick, accelerated his schooling.

Moore---2001 birthdate, 5th round draft pick. In first year in BCHL. Are Red Wings happy if he plays another year of Juniors?

Bast--2000 birthdate, undrafted. Playing in USHL. could delay and play another year in USHL I believe(turns 19 in November) but then doesn't play a year with his brother.

Miller--young 2001(December). playing 2nd full year in USHL this year...likely delay a year.

Reid--2001 birthdate...1 year in BCHL and playing 2nd year in USHL...likely delay a year.

Have not looked that close at the forwards. Zach Yon, Dixon Bowen, Westin Michaud, Cole Smith all graduate. Only 1 or 2 early departures I see?

These guys are slated to come in next year.

Brendan Budy--2000 birthdate, 1 year of college(DU), ages out of Juniors I believe

Griffin Ness--turns 20 in December...out of Junior options

Riese Gaber--just turned 20...last year of juniors

Dane Montgomery--2002 birthdate...probably delays if necessary

Stephen Halliday--2002 birthdate...could delay

Massimo Rizzo--2001 birthdate, 7th round draft pick,,,has battled injuries. could delay

Carter Randklev---turns 20 in a couple weeks...currently still coming back from injuries with The Force...out of options

Jackson Kunz--2002 birthdate...often injured...could delay

Ethan Bowen--2002 birthdate

Braden Costello--turns 20 in the spring, out of options...off to a decent start in BCHL

Michael Mancinelli--2001 birthdate, could delay

8 Seniors and 17 slated to come in. 5 forwards that have to come in next year or go somewhere else.

Some interesting decisions to be made.

Every year I like to break the season down into smaller sets of groups. I'm grouping the next 3 weekends together, all at home against Bemidji, Tech (1) and Miami. These are the ones you can't drop, at home against middle of the road to poor teams. Looking for UND to be 5-0 after this set, 7-1-1 overall going into Denver. 

We all probably feel like it should go that way.  But that is part of the problem.  We get into the trap of assuming those should all be victories, primarily because we are North Dakota and they are . . . lesser hockey schools.  God help us if the players think this way, because it aint so. 

I'm not dissing your thinking, AJS.  Like I said, we all probably look at it that way.

17 minutes ago, burd said:

We all probably feel like it should go that way.  But that is part of the problem.  We get into the trap of assuming those should all be victories, primarily because we are North Dakota and they are . . . lesser hockey schools.  God help us if the players think this way, because it aint so. 

I'm not dissing your thinking, AJS.  Like I said, we all probably look at it that way.

I'm strictly looking at it from the view point that I think UND has a really good team this year, if that's the case, you have to win games at home against teams that will most likely be below 30 in the PWR at the end of the year. For the next three teams, I'm basing the 30 or below in the PWR on where they finished last year, also taking into account the first couple weeks of this year. 

39 minutes ago, AJS said:

I'm strictly looking at it from the view point that I think UND has a really good team this year, if that's the case, you have to win games at home against teams that will most likely be below 30 in the PWR at the end of the year. For the next three teams, I'm basing the 30 or below in the PWR on where they finished last year, also taking into account the first couple weeks of this year. 

That's about as objective as you can be. 

3 hours ago, AJS said:

Yeah, I read it as you're saying that we need to win these next handful of games, not that we should. Well said, IMO.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, tnt said:

Not the people that thought he shouldn’t be on the team.

Never understood those thinkers. I have liked his game, hasn't always been productive but to me he screams old-school UND. Hard working, sticks his nose in when necessary, will hustle all game long, and is about as unselfish as they come.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Feff said:

Never understood those thinkers. I have liked his game, hasn't always been productive but to me he screams old-school UND. Hard working, sticks his nose in when necessary, will hustle all game long, and is about as unselfish as they come.

I think a lot of fans had a bad expectation for him. We've been strapped for scoring for a couple years now and a lot of fans expected him to put up Top 6 points, but he's more of an energy guy. Any goals from him were going to be a plus and it's been great this year.

On 10/23/2019 at 7:40 PM, AJS said:

Every year I like to break the season down into smaller sets of groups. I'm grouping the next 3 weekends together, all at home against Bemidji, Tech (1) and Miami. These are the ones you can't drop, at home against middle of the road to poor teams. Looking for UND to be 5-0 after this set, 7-1-1 overall going into Denver. 

Great work by the team winning these games they really did have to have. Still early, but they've set themselves up nicely. Now they have an eight game stretch, six on the road to finish off the first half. They have the potential to be a pretty special team. I realize they've had a relatively easy schedule, but only giving up 1 goal or less in 7 of their 9 games is spectacular. This will be a playoff team, but the next stretch will tell us if they are challenging for a Top seed or not. 

Optimistic / Thrilled: 6-2 (On pace for a Top seed)

Satisfied / Happy: 5-3 (On pace for a #2 seed)

At worse: 4-4 (#2 / #3 seed)

• Upvote 1

On 11/10/2019 at 4:08 PM, Oxbow6 said:

Gooch the last couple weeks is playing to his skill level. He's been just tremendous......and Adams and Mismash aren't to far behind. Fun to watch those 3 together.

Was texting with a couple of buddies about this on Saturday -- the chemistry these three are developing are showing signs towards being a "named line" in the very near future...

24 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Was texting with a couple of buddies about this on Saturday -- the chemistry these three are developing are showing signs towards being a "named line" in the very near future...

Just think, there's a distinct possibility we get another year of this line intact! Could you imagine this line as Seniors?

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Jordan Kawaguchi - Collin Adams - Grant Mismash...Kinda limited using their initials unless you want to call them the JAM, KAM, MAK, or MAJ(or) line...