SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4796080-Jacob-Bernard-Docker-inches-closer-toward-Team-Canada-Gabe-Bast-inches-closer-toward-return?fbclid=IwAR2JfN_n1KxyLRLwkFZ3vy1QIPGuN8pg77raZL5oXiYt83GFzdEeV9FtvlM

Talks about JBD at WJC and Bast's return:

Junior defenseman Gabe Bast is getting closer to returning after sustaining an upper-body injury in October.

Bast, who hasn't played since Oct. 19 at Minnesota State-Mankato, is skating again and went through all of the team's drills Monday. While it's doubtful that he plays at Western Michigan this weekend, Bast should be ready to return after Christmas break.

UND sweeps weekly NCHC awards. First team to do that since 14-15:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/incoming/4800615-UND-is-first-team-to-sweep-NCHC-weekly-awards-since-the-2014-15-season

Guchi gets his third already this year and is the first forward for UND to earn the weekly award three times in a season. Boeser won it twice in 16-17.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

UND sweeps weekly NCHC awards. First team to do that since 14-15:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/incoming/4800615-UND-is-first-team-to-sweep-NCHC-weekly-awards-since-the-2014-15-season

Guchi gets his third already this year and is the first forward for UND to earn the weekly award three times in a season. Boeser won it twice in 16-17.

As happy as I am for these honors, to play devil's advocate, there wasn't much NCHC action last weekend. But they did run rough shot on UM so it still may have happened with a full slate of games.

4 hours ago, Langster019 said:

As happy as I am for these honors, to play devil's advocate, there wasn't much NCHC action last weekend. But they did run rough shot on UM so it still may have happened with a full slate of games.

“Rough - shod”...

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2019/12/02_Four-NCAA-Selected-to-Team.php

JBD one of four NCAA players selected to Canada's WJC camp roster. Awesome for this guy. Totally deserving, in my book.

This is a dream for Canadian kids.  I hope against hope they don't use him going to college as a way to hold him off like they've done to countless other kids.  

The only way I see him not making Canada based on talent and not politics is if he gets hurt.  

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

This is a dream for Canadian kids.  I hope against hope they don't use him going to college as a way to hold him off like they've done to countless other kids.  

The only way I see him not making Canada based on talent and not politics is if he gets hurt.  

He'll make it, he was one of the final cuts last year and is having a good year so far.

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Well, if they do that, they are making their team worse. I think he gets in, for sure. JBD is a stud.

17 hours ago, Langster019 said:

I feel ya, but three teams did play. Looking at the stats of the players, the only one who may have not gotten it was Scheel, but it is what it is.

17 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I feel ya, but three teams did play. Looking at the stats of the players, the only one who may have not gotten it was Scheel, but it is what it is.

What’s justifiable is that it hadn’t been done in so long. There certainly have been weeks where the same situation has happened in the last 5 years without it happening. So that’s good. 

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Not fitting the style the Canadians plan to play this year could be a factor. (I don't know their plans; I do know you have to pick players for your system.) 

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Not fitting the style the Canadians plan to play this year could be a factor. (I don't know their plans; I do know you have to pick players for your system.) 

I mean, JBD is pretty much an all-around defensmen. He really lacks a deficiency, IMO.

Using “What If” calculator, if the Sioux only split/get 3 point each series their remaining conference games, I could not find a scenario where they would finish lower than 3rd in the conference. Assuming they do better than split, they will have home ice and be a #1 or #2 seed in March. Let’s just hope they stay healthy. As well as they are playing, they have excellent healthy scratches each series so they can handle a couple short term injuries, just none of those season ending ones. I’d like to see Thome on December 28. They’ll need to replace Pinto and JDB for that one too. Any chance Albrecht will see the ice this year? 

14 minutes ago, Fetch said:

Is there likely scenarios yet for the playoffs ? Ive heard there is a possibility of playing in Loveland Colorado ? ? ? 

If we and DU are both 1-seeds, we won't be there. But, if either one is a 1-seed and the other is not, you can absolutely book it, we'll be there.

19 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

If we and DU are both 1-seeds, we won't be there. But, if either one is a 1-seed and the other is not, you can absolutely book it, we'll be there.

Not necessarily. If Mankato ends up the number one overall seed, they’ll get placed first at the regional closest to home, which is Colorado. I have seen very few (if any) scenarios in the last 10 plus seasons where the overall number one was placed at a regional that wasn’t closest to home. 

People can argue on attendance all they want, that didn’t give us the St Paul regional in 2016 over SCSU when they were seeded higher either. We would’ve brought more fans there but NCAA didn’t care. 

1 minute ago, siouxforce19 said:

Not necessarily. If Mankato ends up the number one overall seed, they’ll get placed first at the regional closest to home, which is Colorado. I have seen very few (if any) scenarios in the last 10 plus seasons where the overall number one was placed at a regional that wasn’t closest to home. 

Have you seen any scenarios in the last 10 plus seasons where the closest regional was nearly 800 miles from the #1 seed's home?

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

Have you seen any scenarios in the last 10 plus seasons where the closest regional was nearly 800 miles from the #1 seed's home?

I didn’t make the rules that decided Allentown, PA is in the “Midwest.” 

I’m just saying this is the normal process. If the Committee wants to set a precedent that creates an exception to this, well, that’s up to them.