SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

5 hours ago, Irish said:

I agree that chemistry is very important - I would include in my definition of chemistry having the right skill sets on each line - ones that complement each other and make each player better.  Reading about Janatuien's struggles last year made the second half of last year a bit more understandable.  As to the theme of "a bunch of duds" - if you watched us absolutely struggle to put the puck in the net while almost every other team in the league seemed better up front it is easy to understand.  We added some key pieces this year and I don't underestimate the power of a determined off season.  As to rock stars - don't forget that during our championship season we had a first line of NHL ready talent.  Do you think we would have won it without Boesser and Schmaltz?  Remember, we narrowly got by Denver in the semis - saved in the final seconds by Schmaltz.  It seems to me that we have changed our recruiting a bit - we are more enamored with finding the next Caggula (under the radar high end talent who stays for 4 years) and less with getting in the next Toews, Parise, Oshie, or Boesser.  I think this is the harder path as it is much more difficult to figure out who has great potential and is flying under the radar (especially with younger and younger players being signed.  Just look at our young signees who didn't end up here for next year's class) than it to figure out the impact of a Boesser or Parise.  With our pipeline to the NHL, fans, tradition, and facilities there should be no reason we don't get high end studs on a regular basis.  I hope to see some added to the next couple of classes.

I agree that the influx of talent is the biggest thing, but also that our older guys have taken the next step to be difference makers. However, I don't think we've stopped recruiting top flight players. Our guys are in on ever top tier recruit, but for whatever reason, we haven't gotten them on the forward side of it. I'll put our D recruits up against any group in the country for the next 3 years, though.

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I agree that the influx of talent is the biggest thing, but also that our older guys have taken the next step to be difference makers. However, I don't think we've stopped recruiting top flight players. Our guys are in on ever top tier recruit, but for whatever reason, we haven't gotten them on the forward side of it. I'll put our D recruits up against any group in the country for the next 3 years, though.

Good point about the defense.

13 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Who knows, but the group is another year older. That’s helps immensely and we had a nice crop of freshman come in.  

I agree. Getting a year older and stronger and sprinkling in some nice freshman sure helps. College hockey is tough and it takes some talented players a few years to figure it out which is why it was nice to see a guy like Adams not bail when many thought it was possible he would (ala Murphy and Wilkie). I know it could have been partially a coaches decision with WIlkie and Murphy but you can't tell me those two the last few years wouldn't have helped our scoring challenged teams as upperclassmen. Also, having seniors like Bowen and Smith in energy/3rd-4th line/penalty kill rolls is massive. I really feel our forward depth can wear some teams down and score from all lines. This is certainly something we haven't had in a while even on some of our really good squads.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, AJS said:

What's everyones thoughts on Frisch so far? He's been logging huge minutes and playing in every type of situation. 

Top four role playing a lot against the likes of Brink and Stapely he showed he belongs.

When Bast comes back I could see dressing 7 d men being the norm.

52 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Only time I ever notice him is when he does something well. Exactly what I want from a freshman defenseman.

I didn’t think he deserved a 5 for boarding on Saturday. The refs seemed more to call the result than the action. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AJS said:

What's everyones thoughts on Frisch so far? 

I think two year's from now he'll be a Colton Poolman type player: Lots of minutes in all situations, and leading a group of young but very skilled defenders. 

Disclaimer: I've known Ethan since he was in junior high, so yeah, I'm biased. ;) 

41 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Top four role playing a lot against the likes of Brink and Stapely he showed he belongs.

Potentially.  But 28 needs to play.  That no look pass last Saturday was a beauty.  Get a big kid like that some PT so he becomes more comfortable.  14 needs a top 6 spot too.

10 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Potentially.  But 28 needs to play.  That no look pass last Saturday was a beauty.  Get a big kid like that some PT so he becomes more comfortable.  14 needs a top 6 spot too.

Agreed Caulfield has come along way in a little over a month. Nice to see and could be quite beneficial to the group as he gets more and more comfortable out there.

14 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Shane Pinto would like a word. :)

Dave

• Upvote 3

USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine Men's College Hockey Poll - November 18, 2019

Rank Team (First Place) Last Year's
Ranking
2019-20
Record
Weeks in
Top 15
1. Minnesota State University, 488 (19) T-1 8-1-1 8
2. Cornell University, 483 (15) 4 6-0-0 8
3. University of Notre Dame, 413 3 8-1-1 8
4. University of Denver, 377 T-1 8-2-2 8
5. Penn State University, 356 8 9-2-0 8
6. University of North Dakota, 342 9 8-1-2 4
7. University of Massachusetts, 271 5 7-3-0 8
8. Harvard University, 253 12 5-0-0 3
9. Clarkson University, 233 7 8-3-1 8
10. University of Minnesota Duluth, 199 6 5-4-1 8
11. Ohio State University, 154 11 6-3-1 8
12. Boston College, 133 NR 7-4-0 6
13. Providence College, 130 10 6-4-2 8
14. Northeastern University, 73 14 6-4-2 8
15. Bowling Green State University, 40 NR 7-4-0 1

Then again, USCHO isn't much better this week ... 

1    Minnesota State
2    Cornell
3    Notre Dame
4    Denver
5    North Dakota
6    Penn State
7    Massachusetts
8    Clarkson
9    Minnesota Duluth
10    Harvard
11    Ohio State
12    Providence
13    Northeastern
14    Boston College
15    UMass Lowell

Did all these people miss UND's weekend at DU (win and tie)? 

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

1    Minnesota State
2    Cornell
3    Notre Dame
4    Denver
5    North Dakota
6    Penn State
7    Massachusetts
8    Clarkson
9    Minnesota Duluth
10    Harvard
11    Ohio State
12    Providence
13    Northeastern
14    Boston College
15    UMass Lowell

Quality loses to UMD and UND obviously weighed heavily on the polls!!  :D

6 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I thought we we're going to be log-jammed for playing time at defense; instead, Bast and Tychonick being out have made us fortunate to have eight playable defensemen. 

That said, I was yelling at 20 to turn around (couldn't hear me through TV I guess) just before Saturday's DU goal. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

1    Minnesota State
2    Cornell
3    Notre Dame
4    Denver
5    North Dakota
6    Penn State
7    Massachusetts
8    Clarkson
9    Minnesota Duluth
10    Harvard
11    Ohio State
12    Providence
13    Northeastern
14    Boston College
15    UMass Lowell

Garbage. UND has a couple off years and now needs to prove we are still the best program in the country? Look how bad Minnesota State has choked in the tourney, also what has Notre Dame really have done recently. Garbage

12 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I thought we we're going to be log-jammed for playing time at defense; instead, Bast and Tychonick being out have made us fortunate to have eight playable defensemen. 

That said, I was yelling at 20 to turn around (couldn't hear me through TV I guess) just before Saturday's DU goal. 

The wings were starting to toss a bit by that point of the game.

Just now, UNDBIZ said:

Does the poll placement of UND and DU make sense?  No.  Is it November and thus inconsequential?  Yes.

Indubitably. 

Just the same, I'd like to survey the pollsters with one question:

Is your poll ranking how you see the teams rate:
(a) today
(b) at the end of the season