SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

11 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

And there would’ve been no controversy if the guy had just asked UND :whistling: 

Right?!?! His post came across like he was wishing to find something but in the end, there’s no there there! Sorry, SUCKA!!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

Right?!?! His post came across like he was wishing to find something but in the end, there’s no there there! Sorry, SUCKA!!!

No he knew, he was just teying to insinuate something fishy with UND and wanted that to gain traction in social media.

He knew exactly what hebwas doing... and hes here all the time.

Nice try troll, nice try.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Frozen4sioux said:

No he knew, he was just teying to insinuate something fishy with UND and wanted that to gain traction in social media.

He knew exactly what hebwas doing... and hes here all the time.

Nice try troll, nice try.

I figured as much....his tweet smelled fishy from the get go. 

I'm trying to temper my expectations going into next year, but this Michaud addition is really exciting. It's a rare situation where you can just add a guy that's already proven himself as an above average college player. We already know that he would have lead this team in goals / points, which I realize was in a different style / situation, but still. If we look strictly now at goals lost going into next year, his 13 would cancel out the combined goals scored by Jones / Shaw / JJ. UND needs to replace only 8 goals going into next year, which is almost unheard of. 

I'm very interested to see how the forward roster shakes out for next year, because even if they delay Rizzo, you'd think there would be a couple guys who are currently on the roster that won't be back. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AJS said:

I'm trying to temper my expectations going into next year, but this Michaud addition is really exciting. It's a rare situation where you can just add a guy that's already proven himself as an above average college player. We already know that he would have lead this team in goals / points, which I realize was in a different style / situation, but still. If we look strictly now at goals lost going into next year, his 13 would cancel out the combined goals scored by Jones / Shaw / JJ. UND needs to replace only 8 goals going into next year, which is almost unheard of. 

I'm very interested to see how the forward roster shakes out for next year, because even if they delay Rizzo, you'd think there would be a couple guys who are currently on the roster that won't be back. 

I agree with the excitement.  Wi

3 hours ago, AJS said:

You look at how Denver outplayed UMass and the territorial advantage we had against Denver, and I think you have reason to be very optimistic.  I do think guys like Mismash, Adams, Weatherby and Hain all take steps forward, and with our defense it isn’t going to take a lot to change some outcomes. If our power play is worse, someone will probably lose their job.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, tnt said:

You look at how Denver outplayed UMass and the territorial advantage we had against Denver, and I think you have reason to be very optimistic.  I do think guys like Mismash, Adams, Weatherby and Hain all take steps forward, and with our defense it isn’t going to take a lot to change some outcomes. If our power play is worse, someone will probably lose their job.  

Really?  Our power play could get worse? ;)

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, tnt said:

The signing of Michaud has a benefit all the way down the team.  The experience with him centering one of the lines will be a benefit to the other lines.  The team won't be as dependent on having to have one of the incoming freshmen centering  the top line, although if they can live up to that, makes for pretty solid 2nd and 3rd and 4th lines.  Gardner was a solid player but to have him centering our top line was a weakness as his playmaking skills were somewhat lacking for a top line center.  I really can't see how our power play can get any worse than this past year.

3 hours ago, fsioux said:

The signing of Michaud has a benefit all the way down the team.  The experience with him centering one of the lines will be a benefit to the other lines.  The team won't be as dependent on having to have one of the incoming freshmen centering  the top line, although if they can live up to that, makes for pretty solid 2nd and 3rd and 4th lines.  Gardner was a solid player but to have him centering our top line was a weakness as his playmaking skills were somewhat lacking for a top line center.  I really can't see how our power play can get any worse than this past year.

The power play justifiably gets dissed a lot, but they worked hard, went into corners, passed the puck fairly well and had better puck movement and scoring opportunities as the season progressed.   They just couldn't shoot for shytt.   And I think they never got the confidence to think they were going to score.   The kind of confidence that makes players go to the net and play in the ozone like they smell blood in the water. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, burd said:

The power play justifiably gets dissed a lot, but they worked hard, went into corners, passed the puck fairly well and had better puck movement and scoring opportunities as the season progressed.   They just couldn't shoot for shytt.   And I think they never got the confidence to think they were going to score.   The kind of confidence that makes players go to the net and play in the ozone like they smell blood in the water. 

Scoring is also contagious.  It is one of those things that once you start struggling if becomes more difficult as you start thinking about it too much.  Too many times the passes that were received by the shooter were not in an ideal spot which goes back to play-making.  Not that he is the savior, but if somebody like Michaud or the incoming freshmen can deliver passes a little more accurately, I think you will see Mismash's and Gooch's number improve significantly.  I would also not be

I still have no idea how Shaw can still be employed. Instead of our power play getting slightly better over the years it has progressively gotten worse. Either he needs to be let go or have someone else manage the power play. 

2 minutes ago, crb1 said:

I still have no idea how Shaw can still be employed. Instead of our power play getting slightly better over the years it has progressively gotten worse. Either he needs to be let go or have someone else manage the power play. 

Jacksonville must've told him no. 

Watching two NCHC teams in the Frozen Four that UND was able to hold their own with all season outplay the "best of the best" the rest of the country had to offer, I found tiny bit of optimism growing in me. This was quickly squashed by the scar tissues and pessimism from the last several years, but since we have some folks on here who remain optimistic and we have a lot of talent coming in, I figured I'd crunch some numbers to see what statistically this team would be facing going into next year. By the numbers, I think there's reason to be optimistic, so I thought I'd share for any other number geeks like me. Maybe it'll give some folks something to think about instead of the ongoing unwinnable debate of "It's good that the NCHC won for a 4th consecutive, right?" vs. "But I hate UMD and their fans sooooo much...".

Clarifications:
1. Data pulled from CHN team statistics.

2. Senior Loss is pretty straightforward, and potential Loss accounts for seniors departing as well as a completely unfounded look at impacts if Peski, Johnson, Yon and Rieger also departed.

3. For fun, I added Westin Michaud's numbers in with the assumption he performed exactly the same next year as he did this. Of note, Westin replaces all our lost PPG (actually +1 net) and SHG by himself. With senior losses-only factored, he replaces 62% of goals and 63% of total points lost.

4. All totals or averages are adjusted for skaters vs. players (ie, with or without Bob) as appropriate.

5. Replacement cost / skater factors what average contribution per incoming skater would be necessary to replace the seniors, and then recalculating based on those four (again, completely unfounded) potential departures I'm picking on unfairly, respectively. Replacement cost (WM) readjusts these calculations by incorporating Westin's contributions -- again, assuming same as last year's numbers.

Obviously, everyone can decide for themselves what key observations are, but objectively, this will be one of the easiest years to replace losses I can recall, in a long time. I guess that's the perk of the whole team underperforming when it comes to point production and a relatively small senior class. Of course, that only returns us to the same performance as last year, so you would have to factor in an improvement from both existing players and incoming over and above these numbers to achieve a better result. With UND being just out of the playoff picture this year, it (statistically) should give some hope for a good year -- with Westin's contributions being a potential game changer, by immediately inserting as one of the top producing players and filling a huge void at center.

image.png.043fe66922f1d0e9bdb1dcc61e61f736.png

• Upvote 2

On 4/12/2019 at 9:33 PM, tnt said:

We were on the road for the first round while Duluth and Denver were again in the Frozen 4 and St. Cloud (before their annual choke job) was the highest seeded team in hockey.  Our offense and power play were the worst most fans have seen.  I'm not sure that the fact that we had the puck a lot brings much optimism to me.  Our team was hard to watch this year and we need some serious changes starting with Shaw.  I'm not sure Berry has the will to do what is necessary.  I hope so.  We can't take much more of this as a fanbase and program.  We do have some talent coming in, but we've seen what Berry's program seems to do to scorers.