SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

So no recruiting news, no players being released and or coaches, but they said next year will be different  and if they said it it must be true. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Berry’s going for three misses in a row.

Any recruiting news would be for 21-22 or beyond at this point. 

I don't disagree that Berry maybe should have brought in some extra bodies last year and pushed a few of the guys who just completed their Junior seasons either out or to the press box with less scholarship money, but it is a fine line when you had a hand in recruiting them under Hakstol and you make that move too often and it catches up to you and the program.(see Eaves, Wisconsin)

1 minute ago, petey23 said:

Any recruiting news would be for 21-22 or beyond at this point. 

I don't disagree that Berry maybe should have brought in some extra bodies last year and pushed a few of the guys who just completed their Junior seasons either out or to the press box with less scholarship money, but it is a fine line when you had a hand in recruiting them under Hakstol and you make that move too often and it catches up to you and the program.(see Eaves, Wisconsin)

https://twitter.com/trey_ausmus/status/1112849940294889473

Happy now?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The current trend for this program is down, down and down some more. If we were a stock, I wouldn't buy it. And if I owned it, I would sell as quickly as possible.

I don't blame people for being frustrated, especially since it looks like Berry is going to Stand Pat with everything.

I’ll let you sell...  I’ll bet you a nice chunk of money that the Sioux end the regular season next year higher in the pairwise than they did this year.

Sounds like it should be easy money for you.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

I’ll let you sell...  I’ll bet you a nice chunk of money that the Sioux end the regular season next year higher in the pairwise than they did this year.

Sounds like it should be easy money for you.

Now that's a lofty goal for what is supposed to be a premier hockey program.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Now that's a lofty goal for what is supposed to be a premier hockey program.  

Well if someone here said we were going to win the Natty they’d get called crazy by the downers around here so what are we supposed to say? 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Where? 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/4593343-east-grand-forks-defenseman-trey-ausmus-commits-und?fbclid=IwAR07QHq9fOAp0MZcupH6Jv3LNEzeKqA7PoKLMx2HnW1_Qkno4DynrfkrSKg

Ausmus is the first 2004-born player to commit to UND.

“I’d sit in the summer and talk to Gage about it,” Ausmus said. “He’d always talk about how much he loved it, how much he loved the locker room and culture and how it’s a big family. I want to be a part of that.”

I've seen the culture thing scattered in a few threads, just curious if there is a perceived culture issue going on with hockey program or just speculation by a few posters? And what is the supposed issue, it can't be player character so maybe not a hard enough line by Berry as far as expectations or execution? I have no clue and it's tough to pick up from what I've seen, probably discussed earlier in the year at length somewhere...?

1 minute ago, jodcon said:

I've seen the culture thing scattered in a few threads, just curious if there is a perceived culture issue going on with hockey program or just speculation by a few posters? And what is the supposed issue, it can't be player character so maybe not a hard enough line by Berry as far as expectations or execution? I have no clue and it's tough to pick up from what I've seen, probably discussed earlier in the year at length somewhere...?

Based on postgame comments (and the fact UND has missed the playoffs 2 years in a row), there's a perception the team is satisfied with simply competing with the best, instead of being the best. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

Based on postgame comments (and the fact UND has missed the playoffs 2 years in a row), there's a perception the team is satisfied with simply competing with the best, instead of being the best. 

I guess I just don't buy that. I've never thought one time the players or coaches think missing the tournament is acceptable. Post game comments are nothing but cliches. This is college hockey. Calling out of players by teammates and coaches just won't happen.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

"Talk is cheap......money buys the whiskey." ~ gfhockey

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I guess I just don't buy that. I've never thought one time the players or coaches think missing the tournament is acceptable. Post game comments are nothing but cliches. This is college hockey. Calling out of players by teammates and coaches just won't happen.

I really hope people  are not basing anything off post game comments, interviews, radio show appearances, because that’s ridiculous. No one knows what goes on in that locker room when no one is around, in the off season when no one is around, etc. We only see what they choose to show us. Yeah Berry is a master of Coach Speak. That’s media training. Yeah he uses the same phrases over and over again and the fans hate it. None of that has anything to do with the culture of this program. Oh look, I said that taboo word :blink:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I'll never understand why some of our own fanbase mocks and kicks this program when they're down. You'd almost think some "fans" enjoy it more when we're losing just so they can get their potshot in.

You know, there's a lot of truth to that, there's a certain amount of fans who really lay in the weeds until the wheels come off and then jump on board indicating this coach/player/administration/scheme/facility/(insert anything else debatable) was a bad decision from day 1, even though they said nothing in the beginning. Seen it quite a few times during our football regression, humans love to say "I told you so".

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

That’s a lot of pressure to put on the freshman class.

I don't think our entire hopes rest with the freshman class.  Hain and Senden's futures look promising.  Same goes for Gooch as he goes into his 3rd year.  Hopefully Mismash stays healthy and he has the type of year that I believe he is capable of.  Adams and Weatherby are question marks.  We have had players in the past that didn't really figure it out until their later years.  With the amount of time that Jones was hurt this past year and Gardner, in my opinion not a first line center, we hopefully  see improvement in that position. 

1 minute ago, fsioux said:

I don't think our entire hopes rest with the freshman class.  Hain and Senden's futures look promising.  Same goes for Gooch as he goes into his 3rd year.  Hopefully Mismash stays healthy and he has the type of year that I believe he is capable of.  Adams and Weatherby are question marks.  We have had players in the past that didn't really figure it out until their later years.  With the amount of time that Jones was hurt this past year and Gardner, in my opinion not a first line center, we hopefully  see improvement in that position. 

I had heard  Guch was playing with an injury most of the season, so hopefully he can get healthy in the offseason and be at full strength next season.