SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

Got an email today saying that they won’t be running shuttle buses next year from the parking ramp, but stating that Coaches Club membership comes with a parking pass.  That’s right, while attendance is going down, find more reasons for fans to want to stay home. Didn’t use the shuttle, but I would think they should be looking for parking solutions to make it easier for fans.

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, tnt said:

Got an email today saying that they won’t be running shuttle buses next year from the parking ramp, but stating that Coaches Club membership comes with a parking pass.  That’s right, while attendance is going down, find more reasons for fans to want to stay home. Didn’t use the shuttle, but I would think they should be looking for parking solutions to make it easier for fans.

Need to start saving up money to buy that curtain for the upper bowl.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Need to start saving up money to buy that curtain for the upper bowl.

Won't need it because next year's team is going to be fun to watch...just wait and see! (fingers crossed)

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, tnt said:

UND is forcing through a tiered parking system this fall. Parking ramp pass and on campus parking is going to be raised from ~$300/yr to $650/year. They need to make sure all the spots are cleared out everyday in order to not anger permit holders who spend that much. So sports fans affected by this change are the least of their concerns right now.

7 hours ago, dynato said:

UND is forcing through a tiered parking system this fall. Parking ramp pass and on campus parking is going to be raised from ~$300/yr to $650/year. They need to make sure all the spots are cleared out everyday in order to not anger permit holders who spend that much. So sports fans affected by this change are the least of their concerns right now.

If true that UND is raising a parking pass to $650 a year that is purely outrageous.  Not sure how that compares to other institutions but this is  still Grand Forks.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

If true that UND is raising a parking pass to $650 a year that is purely outrageous.  Not sure how that compares to other institutions but this is  still Grand Forks.

I have attended and worked at several Universities and while $650 is much higher than NDSU charges, it is not nearly as much as you see at some of the larger Universities across the country.  I have colleagues who pay close to or over $1000 a year for parking.

8 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Won't need it because next year's team is going to be fun to watch...just wait and see! (fingers crossed)

Doubtful for next year, I say in two years. 

Either way, the tide will definitely turn if they start winning again. All these negative signs will wash away if they're a top 5 team again. 

2 hours ago, TheFlop said:

Rumor has it Kennedy proposed this as to help fund the restart of women's hockey.......... :tinfoilhat:

It's a ridiculous sum if true but it's low hanging fruit on the back of the students. Would not expect anything else from the administration at UND.

On 4/2/2019 at 4:27 PM, petey23 said:

I'll add one more number. 105.

Our Power Play conversion rate percentage and Penalty Kill Effectiveness rate percentage need to total 105 or better.

If we met that number this year, that is a difference of 16 goals.

Ideally those numbers are at 20%+ and 85%+ so both special teams units are effective but even if one is higher and one is lower, that is 16 goals that we either scored or didn't give up.

That's called PDO for those of you interested in advanced stats or have heard that term thrown around.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, dynato said:

Here are the actual current rates. I'm not sure what the usage is for the parking ramp or the shuttle services, I'd be curious about that before getting worked up about the change.

Permit Types and Rates

Type Permit Cost
Faculty and Staff A $225
Residence Hall Directors AHR $225
Deans and Associate Vice Presidents AD $810
President and Vice Presidents AVP $810
Evening Workshift (4 p.m. – 7a.m.) PMA $65
Park & Ride PR $125
Parking Ramp RCA $400

Campus Housing Permits 

Residence Hall Permit Full Year 8/16/18-8/15/19 3/20/19-5/5/19 5/6/19-8/15/19
Johnstone, Fulton, Smith HJFS $190 $75 $50
Selke, Brannon, McVey, Noren, West, U Place H18 $190 $75 $50
Swanson Hall, Conference Center, Greek Housing HMU $190 $75 $50
Walsh, Bek, Hancock, Squires, Greek Housing HPR $190 $75 $50

Other Student Permits

Permit Full Year 8/16/18-8/15/19 3/20/19-5/5/19 5/6/19-8/15/19
Off-Campus Student Parking S $190 $75 $50
On-Campus Student Housing Apartments HAPT $190  $75 $50
Evening Parking (4 p.m. - 11 p.m.)  PM $65 $39 $16
Park & Ride PS $125 $75 $31
Ramp and Student Lots RCS $400 Call Parking Call parking

Ramp pass was $300 before I switched to a Staff/Faculty ($225) pass last year. Both numbers were off slightly (sorry!), as they plan on charging $625 not $650. This bump in charges is almost explicitly because of the massive debt of the parking ramp, where the parking department is financially unable to keep up with payments and the state government is no longer going to subsidize their debt's. Attached is an e-mail from someone on the inside of the parking committee letting staff/faculty what the University is trying to push through. I'll attach the comprehensive parking study they referenced as justification for price change later when I'm off mobile.1446435659_2019-4-5_17-50-122.thumb.PNG.7de2ef8574b2f673c2365cc6720df76f.PNG

• Upvote 1

I think next year's team takes a couple steps forward.

One, because our offense/PP can't get any worse.  Just not possible.
Two, our incoming recruiting class is already more talented than our outgoing players.
Three, the rest of the league (and outside of NCHC as well) is losing a ton of players to early departures.

Already looking forward to next season.
And I'm cheering for UMass at the Frozen Four.  It'd be cool to see the title stay in the NCHC, but I really can't cheer for DU or UMD.  Let is go East for one season before coming back West next year.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, brianvf said:

I think next year's team takes a couple steps forward.

One, because our offense/PP can't get any worse.  Just not possible.
Two, our incoming recruiting class is already more talented than our outgoing players.
Three, the rest of the league (and outside of NCHC as well) is losing a ton of players to early departures.

Already looking forward to next season.
And I'm cheering for UMass at the Frozen Four.  It'd be cool to see the title stay in the NCHC, but I really can't cheer for DU or UMD.  Let is go East for one season before coming back West next year.

I thought that a year ago, yet here we are. 

• Upvote 3

On 4/2/2019 at 8:33 PM, jdub27 said:

I'd argue that if he wants to move up the food chain in general, calling FB, MIH and BB aren't bad to have on your reel. Moving up the Midco chain doesn't get your real high.

The move has more to do with being closer to family with a second child on the way. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, snova4 said:

I thought that a year ago, yet here we are. 

Truth be told, I thought the same thing as well, but it’s funny how perception and stats don’t always mesh.  I did a double take when I saw our power play was at 21.5 percent last year which by numbers is good.  It didn’t always past the eye test, but those numbers are quite acceptable and had we met them this past year we would have been sitting pretty well.   Our penalty kill was much more of a problem the previous season.  If we can get our power play back up over 20 percent next season, I am thinking we get back in the tourney and finish top 3 in the league. If special teams don’t improve the hot seat gets hotter, because they know where the focus needs to be again.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Truth be told, I thought the same thing as well, but it’s funny how perception and stats don’t always mesh.  I did a double take when I saw our power play was at 21.5 percent last year which by numbers is good.  It didn’t always past the eye test, but those numbers are quite acceptable and had we met them this past year we would have been sitting pretty well.   Our penalty kill was much more of a problem the previous season.  If we can get our power play back up over 20 percent next season, I am thinking we get back in the tourney and finish top 3 in the league. If special teams don’t improve the hot seat gets hotter, because they know where the focus needs to be again.

A big reason for the dropoff in power play production was the loss of Wolanin as he had 8 of our 37 PP goals and to a lesser extent, Gersich who had 5.  This past year, we had nobody that scored more than 3 PP goals of our total of 21.  If Mismash can stay healthy at the same time as getting more accuracy on his shots he should certainly improve on his numbers.  Same for Gooch.  

Seems CC's Michaud is coming for the 2019-2020 season as a grad transfer (immediately eligible with one year left). 

He has a career line of 114 games, 29 goals, 33 assists, 62 points. That makes him the highest college career scorer on UND's roster for 2019-2020 (Poolman 115 games, 14-44-58). 

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2019/4/10/mens-hockey-westin-michaud-to-transfer-to-und.aspx 

Makes this fall's roster all the more interesting ... 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Seems CC's Michaud is coming for the 2019-2020 season as a grad transfer (immediately eligible with one year left). 

He has a career line of 114 games, 29 goals, 33 assists, 62 points. That makes him the highest college career scorer on UND's roster for 2019-2020 (Poolman 115 games, 14-44-58). 

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2019/4/10/mens-hockey-westin-michaud-to-transfer-to-und.aspx 

Makes this fall's roster all the more interesting ... 

Definitely a big get. Immediately becomes our top centerman, IMO. 

• Upvote 1

Posted in other thread, oops...

Nice!  I was hoping we'd land him after he announced he was transferring.
He'll instantly provide a boost at center, a position where we lost 2 seniors.

Big get (for one year)!

Should make the CC series more interesting.  ;) 
He would have been UND's top goal and point scorer this year.

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Definitely a big get. Immediately becomes our top centerman, IMO.  

Agreed.
I wonder if this pushes Rizzo back (or anyone)?  Someone posted that Berry had mentioned that Rizzo might go back for one more year of juniors after all his injuries.

3 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Agreed.
I wonder if this pushes Rizzo back (or anyone)?  Someone posted that Berry had mentioned that Rizzo might go back for one more year of juniors after all his injuries.

That was me. They hadn’t decided yet on Rizzo when I posted that. I was speculating they were waiting on Michaud’s decision. 

3 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

That was me. They hadn’t decided yet on Rizzo when I posted that. I was speculating they were waiting on Michaud’s decision. 

Yeah, I heard it was even prior to Michaud entering the transfer portal that they wanted him there for one more year. Sounded like Guchi was slotted as the top center. Seeing him play that spot at times late this season maybe was his try out? 

Anyway, big get for us, IMO. Gives Rizzo more seasoning, too and he can get healthy completely, if that's the plan.