SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

18 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Yes, it's great news and yes he's a great recruit...but don't be silly and try to argue he wasn't a shoe-in. That would've been an absolute joke if someone else picked him up. Your argument is that Gage ALMOST went to a different school? But he didn't, he came to UND, and he played there for 4 seasons and captained for 2. All the while his little bro got to grow up watching probably every single home game and bring home a ring that I'm sure he's held on his finger. He may as well of had a UND logo tattooed on his face. 

No, my "argument" was that Gage committed to another team, another coach (not Hak) and when that coach left, he came to UND. You were using Trey committing as a slight on Bubbs, but he was the one who actually got him to commit. Regardless if he was a "shoe-in", he got the job done. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Not really sure where to put this and it may not have an impact on hockey as I heard he wants to keep doing it but rumors that Alex Heinert is moving back to SD. 

That would be a shame. He's really been great, IMO. Can't say I'm surprised as he's really talented and I'm sure he's moving up to help his career.

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Not trying to start an argument, just disagreeing with your opinion. I said it's mind blowing, "to me". When did I say that I don't see a dip from the 20 year trend of success? Of course it's a dip. We haven't made the playoffs. It's not a loser mentality to take a deep breath and realize it's not really that bad. We're close and our recruiting can absolutely help us get back to where we need to be. The perspective I'm asking for is the perception that we are so far off. We're not. If you want to have the opinion that we are, that's fine. I disagree.

I don't know what needs to be tweaked, but I'd like your opinion on it. If we have actual things to discuss rather than "we've gotta fire this guy" or "we've gotta cut this kid", etc, I think I'd be less frustrated with the conversation. All of this roundabout for a bunch of guys on a message board who don't actually coach college hockey, haven't coached in the pros and didn't play in the NHL. Not that these are all prerequisites to criticize, but these things all get so overblown. 

I'll mightily argue against Jost leaving for his concerns over his development because it's just simply not true. 

Okay, I can understand that then.

My tweaks? I would at least try a few changes. I'd try fixing what's broken and that might even mean tweaking a few things that aren't broken to help fix the broken. Don't laugh at my recommendations, but here are a few things I'd try. Let me know what you think

Either let Shaw go, or shuffle duties around with the coaching staff. The ST units have progressively gotten worse 3 seasons in a row, and are now in the bottom 10 on PP and bottom 25 in PK in the entire country. Strength of schedule skews those stats, but that's absolutely unacceptable. Get someone new in there, and have them try something different. If it's not working, shake things up. Have 3-4 different PP set-ups and match it up to fit the competition every weekend. Teams will throw the film out and will just have to wait to see what UND is going to do on the PP. Forcing the same style on every single team is getting UND nowhere on the PP. It's not 1990, the PP is no longer one size fits all. 

For the PP I would try more of Bast and JBD, especially on the zone entry. Poolman is a great all-around player, and penalty killer, but he's the wrong guy to QB the PP. I'd use JBD on PP1 and Bast on PP2. With such a hard shot, I'd try Peskie on one of the PP units more often as well. He doesn't get enough playing time IMO. The defensemen need to criss-cross and set up off hand one-timers sometimes. Taking the time to set up to take a shot will surely get blocked, and UND should know that better than anyone else at this point. They're keeping CCM afloat in the shin-pad business. Also, screw having a dedicated net front guy on the PP. Every forward should be a net front guy on the PP depending on who has the puck and when. Shuffle around and move the puck. You outnumber them as it is, but shuffling will create even better shooting lanes. Shoving a place mat player in front of the net turns it into 4x4 and that drives me crazy. Way too easy to cover, and way too easy for the goalie to work around when he knows who will be screening him and when. Lastly, Adams should be on PP1. 

Cut Johnson and Rieger 100%...then maybe even Yon if the recruit pipeline timing works out. Do this ASAP and bring in guys early or guys that are waiting because of roster limitations. Throw everything you have at that CC grad transfer. Make the hard decision and offer him Johnson's scholarship. Move on and up. Johnson should've been gone a year ago and is wasting a roster spot. That spot could've been used by a kid who is coming into his 2nd season now so why make that mistake once again and bury that roster spot another year? No sense in keeping a Joe Webb type guy around on the team just because he filled a void once upon a time. Cutting those 3 would be no loss to this team, so the risk of bringing in someone too early or of a recruit not panning out is still lesser than keeping those 3 on the team IMO. When the injury bug hits, this team will rely on those depth guys and the current caliber of depth-guys is clearly hurting productivity. 

Let Adams play his role. He's a small playmaker that gets knocked off the puck easily. He does not belong on a grinder line, he belongs on a line with 2 other quick forwards who can move the puck and can create space for one another with their speed and playmaking abilities. Putting Adams on a line with two bruisers isn't helping protect him, it's just bogging him down and holding him back. 

Have the weakside winger bust the zone once in awhile and cross center ice behind the defensemen during break-outs. It'll keep their defensemen honest all game long and will help greatly with exiting the zone. Worst case you at least pull one defenseman off the blue line and create some space. Best case you create some odd man rushes and wait for it...fast break scoring opportunities. You have to keep them guessing. I think this team has the speed, skill and work ethic to do all of this but they're just coached into a corner. 

This is much more minor compared to the offensive and PP problems, but get the defensemen to take some risks and step up before or right at zone entry every now and then. Enough of sitting back and letting them gain the zone scotch free so often. Shaw wouldn't hit the puck carrier at the blue line if he freaking ran into him. Create some big hits, create some quick turnovers and fast breaks the other way. The defensive mindset and mentality is weighing down the offense. Scoring chances can be created in your own zone and I think UND forgets that. Yes they've been pretty good at keeping shots down and odd man rushes to a minimum, but they need to get more aggressive and cause some chaos. 

Lastly, sit down every player on your team and tell them to NEVER. EVER. lay or dive into the crease to lay on or grab the puck. Between Poolman, Shaw and Peskie, I swear I saw this happen 2 dozen times this season and I don't get it. Panic? Being told to? What's the deal? Same with Bowen trying to shove the puck into Scheels pad to freeze it that turned into a goal. CLEAR THE PUCK and live to fight another day. Stop looking like a little candy cock and diving on the puck. You'll either allow time for their guys to come in and shove the puck into the net or create a penalty shot. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Okay, I can understand that then.

My tweaks? I would at least try a few changes. I'd try fixing what's broken and that might even mean tweaking a few things that aren't broken to help fix the broken. Don't laugh at my recommendations, but here are a few things I'd try. Let me know what you think

Either let Shaw go, or shuffle duties around with the coaching staff. The ST units have progressively gotten worse 3 seasons in a row, and are now in the bottom 10 on PP and bottom 25 in PK in the entire country. Strength of schedule skews those stats, but that's absolutely unacceptable. Get someone new in there, and have them try something different. If it's not working, shake things up. Have 3-4 different PP set-ups and match it up to fit the competition every weekend. Teams will throw the film out and will just have to wait to see what UND is going to do on the PP. Forcing the same style on every single team is getting UND nowhere on the PP. It's not 1990, the PP is no longer one size fits all. 

For the PP I would try more of Bast and JBD, especially on the zone entry. Poolman is a great all-around player, and penalty killer, but he's the wrong guy to QB the PP. I'd use JBD on PP1 and Bast on PP2. With such a hard shot, I'd try Peskie on one of the PP units more often as well. He doesn't get enough playing time IMO. The defensemen need to criss-cross and set up off hand one-timers sometimes. Setting up to take a shot will surely get blocked, and UND should know that better than anyone else at this point. They're keeping CCM afloat in the shin-pad business. Also, screw having a dedicated net front guy on the PP. Every forward should be a net front guy on the PP depending on who has the puck and when. Shuffle around and move the puck. You outnumber them as it is, but shuffling will create even better shooting lanes. Shoving a place mat player in front of the net turns it into 4x4 and drives me crazy. Way too easy to cover, and way too easy for the goalie to work around when he knows who will be screening him and when. Lastly, Adams should be on PP1. 

Cut Johnson and Rieger 100%...then maybe even Yon if the recruit pipeline timing works out. Do this ASAP and bring in guys early or guys that are waiting because of roster limitations. Throw everything you have at that CC grad transfer. Make the hard decision and offer him Johnson's scholarship. Move on and up. Johnson should've been gone a year ago and is wasting a roster spot. That spot could've been used by a kid who is coming into his 2nd season now so why make that mistake once again and bury that roster spot another year? No sense in keeping a Joe Webb type guy around on the team just because he filled a void once upon a time. Cutting those 3 would be no loss to this team, so the risk of bringing in someone too early or of a recruit not panning out is still lesser than keeping those 3 on the team IMO. When the injury bug hits, this team will rely on those depth guys and this caliber of depth-guys is clearly hurting productivity. 

Let Adams play his role. He's a small playmaker that gets knocked off the puck easily. He does not belong on a grinder line, he belongs on a line with 2 other quick forwards who can move the puck and can create space for one another with their speed and playmaking abilities. Putting Adams on a line with two bruisers isn't helping protect him, it's just bogging him down and holding him back. 

Have the weakside winger bust the zone once in awhile and cross center ice behind the defensemen during break-outs. It'll keep their defensemen honest all game long and will help greatly with exiting the zone. Worst case you at least pull one defenseman off the blue line and create some space. Best case you create some odd man rushes and wait for it...fast break scoring opportunities. You have to keep them guessing. I think this team has the speed, skill and work ethic to do all of this but they're just coached into a corner. 

This is much more minor compared to the offensive and PP problems, but get the defensemen to take some risks and step up before or right at zone entry every now and then. Enough of sitting back and letting them gain the zone scotch free so often. Shaw wouldn't hit the puck carrier at the blue line if he freaking ran into him. Create some big hits, create some quick turnovers and fast breaks the other way. The defensive mindset and mentality is weighing down the offense. Scoring chances can be created in your own zone and I think UND forgets that. Yes they've been pretty good at keeping shots down and odd man rushes to a minimum, but they need to get more aggressive and cause some chaos. 

Lastly, sit down every player on your team and tell them to NEVER. EVER. lay dive into the crease to lay on or grab the puck. Between Poolman, Shaw and Peskie, I swear I saw this happen 2 dozen times this season and I don't get it. Panic? Being told to? What's the deal? Same with Bowen trying to shove the puck into Scheels pad to freeze it that turned into a goal. CLEAR THE PUCK and live to fight another day. Stop looking like a little candy cock and diving on the puck. You'll either allow time for their guys to come in and shove the puck into the net or create a penalty shot. 

Lots of good stuff in here. I agree with a lot of it. Much more constructive conversation, in my eyes, than fire this, fire that, you know? 

Honestly, I'm fine with Shaw being let go because it's been a very specific pain point. But, I also think it's heavily due to lack of quality scoring forwards. We have some, but not nearly consistent enough. I'd be willing to give him some time to bring it back up with some new blood. Our PP was fine (well, it was ok) when we had high end forwards, IMO.

I think it's going to be really hard to have a team that's having trouble scoring to learn 3 or 4 different PP systems. I like the idea, but I'd think we should work on one and stick with it. I've seen teams like St. Cloud have consistently good PPs over the last handful of years and they do the same thing week in and week out.

I'm fine with more Bast and JBD on the top PP. Both can make great plays. However, Pooly is also a bit better defensively and there needs to be at least some responsibility there. Peski is going to have a tough time cracking the lineup, next season. Kid can hit it hard, but I'm not sure he's a PP guy, for me. Honestly, I feel like we did a lot of criss-cross one timers this year. I'll definitely agree about getting shots through. Bast struggled with that this year, IMO. We had a dedicated net front guy because a lack of scoring forward, IMO. Our PP was set to give our d-men, our most talented players, space and try to pick corners. That's why a guy like Casey Johnson was in that spot. He's a big body and is trying to get in the way. That's literally it for him.

Why would we offer him anyone's scholarship? We have that available. Feels like we'd be getting rid of a guy just for the sake of getting rid of him. Because we don't like him. However, on the ice play is only one part. Michaud is, and will, get a full push from UND. He'd be a HUGE get for this team as I'm not sure Rizzo is coming in, this year. Guys like Reiger and Peski may see the writing on the wall, IMO. We'll see with that. Yon and Johnson have roles on this team and their role is only exacerbated by our lack of forward scoring. If that improves, we won't need those guys in Top 9 spots. They can play their fourth line energy spot as both can provide this team in that role.

Adams was a huge pain point for me, too. But, he's partly doing it to himself. Kid needs to get bigger and stronger on his skates. He's getting there. Having him in a Top 6 role is a must and will happen this year unless he doesn't produce. He's showed flashes these past two years and if he takes a step, it'll be huge for this team, IMO. 

I think we let teams behind us a lot in chips because this team was really freakin' good on the walls. That's my take with that. 

Good stuff.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

Not really sure where to put this and it may not have an impact on hockey as I heard he wants to keep doing it but rumors that Alex Heinert is moving back to SD. 

If he wants to move up the Midco food chain he needs to get back to the main studios. 

3 hours ago, SJHovey said:

We then went to what, seven Frozen Fours in eleven years.

Nobody is going to do that again.  

Duluth is going to their 3rd straight.

DU is going to number three in four years.

It's not out of the realm of possibility for one to go 4 more times in the next 8 years.

• Upvote 2

Good discussion - I think almost everyone feels some changes need to be made - some want bigger ones than others.  Much of the frustration is that we haven't seen, nor probably will we, any indication that Berry is making any changes so far (not saying he isn't).  My thoughts - our biggest need is more talent up front.  Even though we brought in some guys with a good upside the fact remains that no one scored more than 10 goals this season.  Check out scoring for other teams in the NCHC and it's enough for you to shudder.  We have been carrying some non-scorers for 3 years now.  Time for Berry to do the hard work and make some serious roster changes.  Even if the replacements aren't instantly successful. they have to have a higher upside than someone who has not scored much at all for 3 years.  Next - examine what the assistants bring to the program.  Shaw is in charge of the power play and doesn't seem to have any hot recruiting connections.  Next - reconsider our offensive philosophy.  I know we have good corner guys - they spend enough time there (at times all 3 in one corner) - How many times did we get a break-away or even an odd man rush?  Not very often.  Chipping it off the glass just doesn't cut it for me.  I know that Berry worked hard to keep up the work ethic in the face of frustrating times.  Time he re-examines everything about the program and make some changes. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

If he wants to move up the Midco food chain he needs to get back to the main studios. 

I'd argue that if he wants to move up the food chain in general, calling FB, MIH and BB aren't bad to have on your reel. Moving up the Midco chain doesn't get your real high.

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Lots of good stuff in here. I agree with a lot of it. Much more constructive conversation, in my eyes, than fire this, fire that, you know? 

Honestly, I'm fine with Shaw being let go because it's been a very specific pain point. But, I also think it's heavily due to lack of quality scoring forwards. We have some, but not nearly consistent enough. I'd be willing to give him some time to bring it back up with some new blood. Our PP was fine (well, it was ok) when we had high end forwards, IMO.

I think it's going to be really hard to have a team that's having trouble scoring to learn 3 or 4 different PP systems. I like the idea, but I'd think we should work on one and stick with it. I've seen teams like St. Cloud have consistently good PPs over the last handful of years and they do the same thing week in and week out.

I'm fine with more Bast and JBD on the top PP. Both can make great plays. However, Pooly is also a bit better defensively and there needs to be at least some responsibility there. Peski is going to have a tough time cracking the lineup, next season. Kid can hit it hard, but I'm not sure he's a PP guy, for me. Honestly, I feel like we did a lot of criss-cross one timers this year. I'll definitely agree about getting shots through. Bast struggled with that this year, IMO. We had a dedicated net front guy because a lack of scoring forward, IMO. Our PP was set to give our d-men, our most talented players, space and try to pick corners. That's why a guy like Casey Johnson was in that spot. He's a big body and is trying to get in the way. That's literally it for him.

Why would we offer him anyone's scholarship? We have that available. Feels like we'd be getting rid of a guy just for the sake of getting rid of him. Because we don't like him. However, on the ice play is only one part. Michaud is, and will, get a full push from UND. He'd be a HUGE get for this team as I'm not sure Rizzo is coming in, this year. Guys like Reiger and Peski may see the writing on the wall, IMO. We'll see with that. Yon and Johnson have roles on this team and their role is only exacerbated by our lack of forward scoring. If that improves, we won't need those guys in Top 9 spots. They can play their fourth line energy spot as both can provide this team in that role.

Adams was a huge pain point for me, too. But, he's partly doing it to himself. Kid needs to get bigger and stronger on his skates. He's getting there. Having him in a Top 6 role is a must and will happen this year unless he doesn't produce. He's showed flashes these past two years and if he takes a step, it'll be huge for this team, IMO. 

I think we let teams behind us a lot in chips because this team was really freakin' good on the walls. That's my take with that. 

Good stuff.  

Good points. 

I actually think the lack of scoring could be blamed on the lack of playmakers more so than lack of scorers. I think UND has some true blooded scorers on this team that are just struggling to get open opportunities. Some of this could be do to the offensive strategy but I think it's mostly due to a lack of Nick Schmaltz style players (exaggerated example). Some of these guys have proven they can pot the puck in their years before UND, but they're not being presented those same opportunities.  

Folks won't believe me, but here are my concerns going into 2019-2020:

1. 0.894 and 0.903 Those numbers are not good enough. Not much more to say; the data speaks for itself. 

2. Lack of centers, offensively dynamic or not. We have Senden and a bunch of guys shuffled to center and back to wing (Weatherby, Hoff, Bowen) and back. With Gardner and Jones we'd win draws (and then do nothing with it). I suspect we'll be losing more draws and doing more chasing. 

3. Scoring. My hope is that last season was a perfect storm and we return to the mean. But I really have nothing to base that on than hope. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Good points. 

I actually think the lack of scoring could be blamed on the lack of playmakers more so than lack of scorers. I think UND has some true blooded scorers on this team that are just struggling to get open opportunities. Some of this could be do to the offensive strategy but I think it's mostly due to a lack of Nick Schmaltz style players (exaggerated example). Some of these guys have proven they can pot the puck in their years before UND, but they're not being presented those same opportunities.  

Great point. I think we have a couple guys coming in who are gonna be like this. 

Adams is a guy that needs a playmaker and I think he'll make a good jump up if he plays with Guchi next year.

7 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

If only UND had Jost back for his Sr. season

If Boeser was a senior and Jost was a junior I'm sure things would look different right now. 

However, it's on the coaches (recruiting) to have a plan for when guys turn pro early. 

I feel like they thought they'd have Boeser for three and Jost for two. When that didn't happen along comes the obvious hole that is the last two seasons. 

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

If Boeser was a senior and Jost was a junior I'm sure things would look different right now. 

However, it's on the coaches (recruiting) to have a plan for when guys turn pro early. 

I feel like they thought they'd have Boeser for three and Jost for two. When that didn't happen along comes the obvious hole that is the last two seasons. 

Jost was definitely a surprise from what I was told. Boeser sounded like he was two and done, though. I also think Gersich was expected to be a four year player. 

37 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Anyone worried about any unexpected departures? 

Not really. 

The defensive and goalie recruits pipeline is well set so if someone left there's someone ready to step in (albeit maybe a year early). 

The forwards recruits pipeline gives me more optimism that what's rostered right now (save for Guch, Mash, Senden, Smith, and Hain). 

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

Duluth is going to their 3rd straight.

DU is going to number three in four years.

It's not out of the realm of possibility for one to go 4 more times in the next 8 years.

My statement "nobody is going to do that again" referred to the entire paragraph that preceded it, but whatever.  Could someone do it?  Of course.  We did it.  Do I think it's likely? No.  Yeah, DU is going to their third in the last four years.  They've been to six in the last what, 45 years? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Folks won't believe me, but here are my concerns going into 2019-2020:

1. 0.894 and 0.903 Those numbers are not good enough. Not much more to say; the data speaks for itself. 

2. Lack of centers, offensively dynamic or not. We have Senden and a bunch of guys shuffled to center and back to wing (Weatherby, Hoff, Bowen) and back. With Gardner and Jones we'd win draws (and then do nothing with it). I suspect we'll be losing more draws and doing more chasing. 

3. Scoring. My hope is that last season was a perfect storm and we return to the mean. But I really have nothing to base that on than hope. 

I'll add one more number. 105.

Our Power Play conversion rate percentage and Penalty Kill Effectiveness rate percentage need to total 105 or better.

If we met that number this year, that is a difference of 16 goals.

Ideally those numbers are at 20%+ and 85%+ so both special teams units are effective but even if one is higher and one is lower, that is 16 goals that we either scored or didn't give up.

Not sure where to put this, but boy is it interesting:

https://www.neutralzone.net/mens/2019/04/01/ncaa-d1-mens-hockey-recruiting-class-rankings-study-2016-2019/

image.png.031cf5fa95c6c8d4e4e5e640cd740ebf.png

Since their rankings are based on both quality and quantity, some of UND's classes were highly ranked because they were large, replacing early departures from earlier years.  But still.  One may not agree with their methodology, but I'm guessing it is at least consistently applied to all teams.