SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Yeah, I heard it was even prior to Michaud entering the transfer portal that they wanted him there for one more year. Sounded like Guchi was slotted as the top center. Seeing him play that spot at times late this season maybe was his try out? 

Anyway, big get for us, IMO. Gives Rizzo more seasoning, too and he can get healthy completely, if that's the plan. 

Well that has me perplexed. If a guy like Keane was here last year than rizzo should play next year.  I mean, it’s not like he has Bast type injuries. He played 40 plus games this past season.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Well that has me perplexed. If a guy like Keane was here last year than rizzo should play next year.  I mean, it’s not like he has Bast type injuries. He played 40 plus games this past season.

This is where Berry needs to make the hard decisions and earn his keep to make this team better.  Rizzo is more talented than a couple upperclassmen, so it would seem logical to cut an under-performing upperclassman to make room for Rizzo/Michaud to both come in.

• Upvote 3

Re Rizzo: In general, do I feel in most situations would an extra year of Juniors be beneficial to a player, absolutely. I don't necessarily disagree with delaying Rizzo a year, especially given he's currently a Senior in HS. It's VERY, VERY important though that the lines of communication are open and clear between Rizzo and the UND coaches. What happened with Donovan earlier this year has left me a very cautious of these type of situations. Rizzo is still a high end player and even with injuries early, still put together a year better than most of our recent Forward recruits. Will be interesting to follow, there's no need to get excited right now, but another Donovan situation would be a major black eye for Berry.

47 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Seems CC's Michaud is coming for the 2019-2020 season as a grad transfer (immediately eligible with one year left). 

He has a career line of 114 games, 29 goals, 33 assists, 62 points. That makes him the highest college career scorer on UND's roster for 2019-2020 (Poolman 115 games, 14-44-58). 

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2019/4/10/mens-hockey-westin-michaud-to-transfer-to-und.aspx 

Makes this fall's roster all the more interesting ... 

But how are his faceoff numbers??  :p

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

Re Rizzo: In general, do I feel in most situations would an extra year of Juniors be beneficial to a player, absolutely. I don't necessarily disagree with delaying Rizzo a year, especially given he's currently a Senior in HS. It's VERY, VERY important though that the lines of communication are open and clear between Rizzo and the UND coaches. What happened with Donovan earlier this year has left me a very cautious of these type of situations. Rizzo is still a high end player and even with injuries early, still put together a year better than most of our recent Forward recruits. Will be interesting to follow, there's no need to get excited right now, but another Donovan situation would be a major black eye for Berry.

from what I have heard, it was my understanding  that UND had told Donovan that they would like him to play a year in the USHL(either this season or next season) and he was agreeable and was going to play in the USHL this season...at some point over last summer he changed his mind and decided he would play High School hockey again this year and didn't want to play in the USHL the following season....not sure how that comes back on Berry.

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, brianvf said:

This is where Berry needs to make the hard decisions and earn his keep to make this team better.  Rizzo is more talented than a couple upperclassmen, so it would seem logical to cut an under-performing upperclassman to make room for Rizzo/Michaud to both come in.

What player should he cut? Rizzo will be a scholly player. Rizzo has underperformed when he was healthy this year, so it would probably be good for him.

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

It's not comparable, honestly. Walk on vs. scholly. 

41 minutes ago, petey23 said:

from what I have heard, it was my understanding  that UND had told Donovan that they would like him to play a year in the USHL(either this season or next season) and he was agreeable and was going to play in the USHL this season...at some point over last summer he changed his mind and decided he would play High School hockey again this year and didn't want to play in the USHL the following season....not sure how that comes back on Berry.

Is Donovan still a recruit? That’s how.

53 minutes ago, AJS said:

I couldn't agree more. Very well stated. I love the Michaud get, but I would like to see Rizzo also. Make room for very good prospects. 

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Is Donovan still a recruit? That’s how.

He left on his own volition, though. UND told him what best suited the team. The kid disagreed, so they went their separate ways. Donovan didn't feel like a recruit UND should break its back to keep at all costs.

Re Rizzo, what if he's just not ready, and the hard thing to do is actually the right thing, which is to let him develop more before coming?  PP, PK, big minutes in juniors, or low minutes on the fourth line because he's not ready for a top six spot in college.

10 hours ago, jk said:

Re Rizzo, what if he's just not ready, and the hard thing to do is actually the right thing, which is to let him develop more before coming?  PP, PK, big minutes in juniors, or low minutes on the fourth line because he's not ready for a top six spot in college.

I don't think anyone is going to dispute that an extra year of Juniors is a bad thing for him, in fact,  I think most people would agree that overall it would help him out. Like I said, as long as everyone is on the same page (Rizzo, his parents and UND), then him returning to Penticton is a win for everyone.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

It's not comparable, honestly. Walk on vs. scholly. 

I'm speaking in the terms of talent.  Keane played a lot of games last year.  We could use Rizzo's talent.  I'm all for letting a kid develop longer, but we could use some talent now.  And it's not like he absolutely struggled in juniors.  Definitely didnt light it up but was not remotely close to a slouch either.  Could fill a nice depth role for us...or more who knows.  Not a biggie, just a bit shocking to me given our current roster.  Again, I don't mind kind developing longer and constantly preach that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, burd said:

I wonder what Gardner's % would figure out to be if you consider those he couldn't win from the P box. 

What faceoff % makes up for taking penalties when you're already on the PK?  Asking for a friend.

21 hours ago, petey23 said:

Hers's how you could make that case (not a Donovan fan but here is a scenario I see) We have a recruit with a decent up-side whom we want to play USHL another year.  He doesn't want to and signs with another program.  Meanwhile we have 4 players who will be Juniors or Seniors on the roster who scored 3 goals or less last year.  Berry was unwilling to make roster room for Donovan - and he probably needed another year of seasoning - but he has to be as good next year as several of our returners and then we have him in our program to possibly develop into a good offensive player.  No way 4 of our returners are going to do that.  It comes down to hard roster decisions.  Still waiting for Berry to do what is necessary. 

48 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

What faceoff % makes up for taking penalties when you're already on the PK?  Asking for a friend.

My friend wants to know what percentage makes up for not scoring a goal from November until the end of the season.

2 minutes ago, Irish said:

Hers's how you could make that case (not a Donovan fan but here is a scenario I see) We have a recruit with a decent up-side whom we want to play USHL another year.  He doesn't want to and signs with another program.  Meanwhile we have 4 players who will be Juniors or Seniors on the roster who scored 3 goals or less last year.  Berry was unwilling to make roster room for Donovan - and he probably needed another year of seasoning - but he has to be as good next year as several of our returners and then we have him in our program to possibly develop into a good offensive player.  No way 4 of our returners are going to do that.  It comes down to hard roster decisions.  Still waiting for Berry to do what is necessary. 

Is Donovan going to be a scholarship player?