SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

Greatly agree about Karl’s work ethic and intelligence as a student of the game.. I have know him just through our kids activities. I got an extreme sense of honesty coming from him. I would never bet against his success.

True epitome of: “The harder you work, the luckier you get”

So. If anyone missed it or doesn’t have Twitter  UND plays at Minnesota ON Thanksgiving. Thursday/Friday series to accommodate the Saturday  Gopher/Badger football game. 

Was prepared for Thanksgiving weekend, not actually Thanksgiving  :angry:

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

So. If anyone missed it or doesn’t have Twitter  UND plays at Minnesota ON Thanksgiving. Thursday/Friday series to accommodate the Saturday  Gopher/Badger football game. 

source.gif

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, siouxforce19 said:

This is why we should NEVER, EVER join the Little 7 Conference. I am surprised they haven't scheduled hockey games to start at 9am yet.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

On the positive side, it gives Minnesota another excuse for bad attendance.

5 minutes ago, tnt said:

On the positive side, it gives Minnesota another excuse for bad attendance.

Don’t forget about the state prep football tournament that weekend. That will certainly curtail attendance at the ‘john’

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

32r9kj.jpg

I'm actually excited for this as tickets just went from being tough to get to being much easier to obtain. 

Keep up the great work, Tom "Providence College Terriers" McGinnis!"  :D  

8 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

They said they wanted to avoid a Saturday game. Fine by me, so why not a home and away series?

21 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

They said they wanted to avoid a Saturday game. Fine by me, so why not a home and away series?

Not in the contract I would suppose. Personally I would have just moved the Gopher football game to Thanksgiving instead. People already watch football on Thanksgiving. 

13 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

I'd guess their scheduling is almost entirely dictated by the B1G network or FSN.

Correct and most football game times aren't announced until a week or two before the game. They often try to bump better matchups to the later time slot for more viewership.

So Minnesota, having no idea what time that football game will be played, didn't have much of a choice aside from a Friday/Sunday series and most people seem to despise college hockey being played on a Sunday and/or a day off in the middle of a series. Televised college football games are averaging almost three and a half hours these days(which is ridiculous, but that is a different discussion). If that football game ends up being a 2:30-3ish kickoff.....well, I'm not great at math but that would be a MESS with traffic, (lack of) parking, bars/restaurants, etc coinciding with hockey fans arriving.

I don't really like it either but there wasn't much of a choice with the particular weekend, JMHO. That said, if it's ok with my family I might just make an appearance at Mariucci after our traditional early afternoon Thanksgiving meal.:D

14 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Not in the contract I would suppose. Personally I would have just moved the Gopher football game to Thanksgiving instead. People already watch football on Thanksgiving. 

Doubt they would do that because it would be an absolute waste trying to go up against the NFL games for any neutral viewers. Minnesota has big time football attendance issues as well so I don't think they'd want to go up against family time. You'd cut into potential Wisconsin travelers as well that way.

I know a few B1G teams play Friday of Thanksgiving weekend but that still wouldn't help this situation unless, again, you go to a Sunday game. But you'd be going up against the NFL again if you do a Sunday game that weekend although that is a bye week for the Vikings which would be a minor plus in favor of a Sunday game in the Twin Cities at least I suppose.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Yea, it's called PRO football.  Not only are you talking a college football game, you're talking a MAJOR rivalry game.  Can you imagine Ohio State/Michigan being moved to Thanksgiving Day?  

I'm fine with moving a hockey game to Thanksgiving Day.  And I'm thankful for all the local Gopher fans who will be looking to dump their tickets off so they can enjoy the day with their respective families and/or wait in line someplace for Black Friday deals.  :lol:

15 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

?

15 hours ago, Blackheart said:

The late Dan Rather?

Hahaha it means "Too long, didn't read"... just me picking on your meme game, MM. You not knowing what TL;DR means coupled with your meme game makes me very happy and I'm not being facetious and it's not an insult. The varied ages, personality types and opinions are a huge part of what I like about our little world, here :) 

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Yea, it's called PRO football.  Not only are you talking a college football game, you're talking a MAJOR rivalry game.  Can you imagine Ohio State/Michigan being moved to Thanksgiving Day?  

I'm fine with moving a hockey game to Thanksgiving Day.  And I'm thankful for all the local Gopher fans who will be looking to dump their tickets off so they can enjoy the day with their respective families and/or wait in line someplace for Black Friday deals.  :lol:

You have to call it what it is...College hockey much like FCS football is a very regionalized sport/following and will never compete with the big advertising dollars going to FBS football, major hoops, NFL and so on.  In return, they are placed at the bottom of barrel for TV scheduling when going up against most other sports...Follow the money! 

23 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This is why we should NEVER, EVER join the Little 7 Conference. I am surprised they haven't scheduled hockey games to start at 9am yet.

Because from time to time it wont be a Friday/Saturday series? Oh the horror!

• Upvote 2