SiouxSports.com Forum

Who would UND hire?

F'n Hawks

Why do UND football fans want to compare their program to NDSU's?

Let's look at a more reasonable benchmark: Why can't UND compete on the same level as SDSU, an average-at-best football program in DII?

How did UND manage to fall below what SDSU has accomplished in football? The Jacks got into DI more for basketball, not football. Yet they've managed to become a contender in football with their DII coach.

What has stopped UND doing the same? (If you're going to go with a usual drivel answer, please don't.) 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Just anecdotal, but plan on more specific conversations soon. Ultimately, as I’ve said, I think the agreement with REA/Engelstad, McGarry has also been limiting. REA takes in 52% of ticket revenue - all of that just directly or indirectly goes to hockey. UND has no say in that going to football. 

That might be a pretty good deal. With the limited attendance at other revenue sports, hockey probably accounts for much more than 52% of all ticket revenue!

8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Multiple reasons, and surprised you'd have to ask.

A) As a school, NDSU represents the primary alternative for ND / northern MN kids who are also considering UND, so they are a natural rival, both competing for the same students.  This makes for many friends/families with ties to each school, creating interpersonal dynamics, hopefully not taken too seriously, but oftentimes is.  We want our school to show up as the "superior" in athletic contests, because, hey, who doesn't want their team to win?

B) UND / NDSU football (and all sports, really) is/was a classic college rivalry.  It had (and still should have) a trophy.  A contest was played every year for decades (and now finally again).  Same conference for decades (and now finally again).  Just as the schools compete the same students, the football programs compete for the same student-athletes.  Lots of interpersonal dynamics at play here again.

C)  UND holds a winning record over NDSU head-to-head.  Throughout time, UND has beaten NDSU more times than lost, so why wouldn't we want more of that??  We ultimately expect it.  We ultimately deserve it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Dustin said:

A) As a school, NDSU represents the primary alternative for ND / northern MN kids who are also considering UND, so they are a natural rival, both competing for the same students.  This makes for many friends/families with ties to each school, creating interpersonal dynamics, hopefully not taken too seriously, but oftentimes is.  We want our school to show up as the "superior" in athletic contests, because, hey, who doesn't want their team to win?

B) UND / NDSU football (and all sports, really) is/was a classic college rivalry.  It had (and still should have) a trophy.  A contest was played every year for decades (and now finally again).  Same conference for decades (and now finally again).  Just as the schools compete the same students, the football programs compete for the same student-athletes.  Lots of interpersonal dynamics at play here again.

C)  UND holds a winning record over NDSU head-to-head.  Throughout time, UND has beaten NDSU more times than lost, so why wouldn't we want more of that??  We ultimately expect it.  We ultimately deserve it.

It used to be a great rivalry - every town had a contingent of NDSU fans and one of UND fans.  Game day was a big event.  Now outside of Grand Forks there isn't much of a UND following and on game day we just have to hope it isn't a blow out.  Our failure to move up when they did and our commitment to mediocre coaches who are allowed to stay too long has made this rivalry a joke.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

That is just not true. You're going to sit there with a stone cold face and believe that? How many people still talk about those games in the NCAA tournament? ZERO. How many people talk about College Game Day being in Fargo or 5 straight national championships NDSU won? 

Let's call it brand recognition. I'm not saying what I'd chose as a fan, I'm saying national eyeballs. What would be the biggest on any given year?

• Making the Men's NCAA Basketball Tournament
  • Winning the Frozen Four
  • Winning the FCS Title Game

Am I off base here? It's definitely making the NCAA Basketball Tournament. Which do you think it is?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Irish said:

It used to be a great rivalry - every town had a contingent of NDSU fans and one of UND fans.  Game day was a big event.  Now outside of Grand Forks there isn't much of a UND following and on game day we just have to hope it isn't a blow out.  Our failure to move up when they did and our commitment to mediocre coaches who are allowed to stay too long has made this rivalry a joke.

Indeed.  The question was WHY we want to compare our FB program to NDSU’s.  I think I laid that out pretty bare.  Again, surprised he would have to ask.  I think all were asking for is to have what we once had - a classic in-state college FB rivalry that you get to have a shared experience with all the people, UND and NDSU alike.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

It’s UND’s rival. Regionally, UND is naturally compared to NDSU. 

SDSU is not UND’s rival from a regional standpoint, at least not before NDSU is.  Kids from North Dakota and northern Minnesota will naturally compare UND to NDSU, and vice versa. Has to do with geography and tradition/history. 

Lastly, NDSU football should be the benchmark (or at least the program to strive to become) for all FCS football programs, including UND football. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Let's call it brand recognition. I'm not saying what I'd chose as a fan, I'm saying national eyeballs. What would be the biggest on any given year?

• Making the Men's NCAA Basketball Tournament
  • Winning the Frozen Four
  • Winning the FCS Title Game

Am I off base here? It's definitely making the NCAA Basketball Tournament. Which do you think it is?

From an eyeballs standpoint, especially if you win a NCAA mens basketball tournament game, it is NCAA mens bb tournament. 

from a sense of accomplishment standpoint, including pride as fans and alumni, it would be a national championship in hockey and/or football. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Shawn-O said:

Well, there it is; not surprising which sport is more popular (and therefore success in said sport has more potential to grow a university). 

16 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Agreed. SDSU got a leg up on UND by moving up along with NDSU. 

From a pure head to head standpoint (SDSU vs UND), SDSU has recruited better players then UND (AND DEVELOPED - they’ve had the better S&C program).

We need more high-end players.  They are the one's that win games

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

So why aren't we ahead of SDSU? 

4 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Recruiting 

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Agreed. SDSU got a leg up on UND by moving up along with NDSU. 

From a pure head to head standpoint (SDSU vs UND), SDSU has recruited better players then UND (AND DEVELOPED - they’ve had the better S&C program).

I know things are changing, but if we are wondering why SDSU has been more successful since we moved D1, especially in regard to recruiting, is it really that much of a mystery?  I know the high performance center is great, but Bubba has been incredibly successful if you consider the overall facilities that he's been working with in comparison to the top teams in the fcs (besides EWU).  The locker rooms at memorial were literally going to be condemned weren't they?  Compare that to SDSU and the Dykhouse Center, which actually has locker rooms and other football facilities attached to it.  Bubba hasn't been playing with a full deck of cards but he's been fairly competitive anyways.   Guarantee UND starts recruiting better once Memorial Village and Pollard phase two are complete.

image.png.f1cf10eca58cc319dcd51b8a6d812c1f.pngimage.png.3014f839de2d895739fde4e4b81214ee.png

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Dustin said:

The UND/ NDSU game in Fargo sold out first, not the SDSU “rival game” 

Ag U can pretend they are better than us but they have to play us every year intil

they find somewhere to move up!

6 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Not sure most schools look at discussions about firing a head coach as positive. 

Fair point.   Even so, it's a minority of posts and posters that are seeking a change.   (These posts are generally well reasoned and thoughtful.)

Many others are seeing increased and consistent success as requiring broader change than coaching. I agree with those, generally. (One contrary argument I might say is that winning conference titles in two of the past six seasons is not too bad for a program making transition to a new conference, closer to our natural recruiting footprint.) 

I think finishing the high performance center is one important aid to recruiting, conditioning, and training.  And I would hope the Athletic Department is looking top-to-bottom at all aspects of gameday experience, promotion, and revenue aids to help fund the many things which need funding.  

• Upvote 2

On 9/26/2022 at 6:12 PM, Frozen4sioux said:

Does UND compete in the top division of NCAA football.

Not sure if your kid plays on a tram and you want to pretend or what but no.

Ask any real D1 athlete.

FCS is not D1 other than for stroking egos of donors and the weakminded.

Do we watch D2 institutions hang national championship banners in football after our team loses to them in the playoffs? No, because Duluth is D2 and we’re D1.