SiouxSports.com Forum

UND - Weber State Game Day Thread

SiouxFan100

17 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Watched UND FB from pool side cabana, definitely a new one for me.  I am being lazy and I am sure you guys caught it but most suprising to me was our D Line was manhandled, nothing works for the D when that happens.

Would prefer a 4-3 scheme. More meat up front.  If tank/Greer are off their game ....the entire front 7 is out of sync.  The LBs were not helping either.  Their o line is good....no sacks for und . Their rb is very quick and put together ....tough as nails. Ran with authority yet swiftness.

Und isn’t ready 

27 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

giphy (4).gif

You think they are ready to compete for a national championship?? Do you deep down feel und is right there to take home the gold?  

Lets hear your thoughts on it ......post it with words not a cartoon pic  

Its been way to fu@king long since und has been relevant .....frustrating as hell.    

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

You think they are ready to compete for a national championship?? Do you deep down feel und is right there to take home the gold?  

Its been way to fu@king long since und has been relevant .....frustrating as hell.    

UND just lost to the #5 team in the country by less than a TD and NO ONE here thinks it was a good effort. That could give a casual fan to think maybe, just maybe things are going in the right direction.

For those who want to dump the staff, bear in mind the team has few seniors and an argument could be made that the RS frosh and next year's recruits (Cedric Case especially) look really good. Add to that a nice Soph class and things are looking up.

• Upvote 1

You know that photo of the empty student section worries me much more than coaching errors..... much more. The only word is pathetic....sad....and really the saddest for our student athletes….even Muss had better student attendance....this is serious...

My first thought was if they quit selling beer...do they sell beer inside? I don't know; I have never had one.

Man something has to be done about this...I mean the GF GOBC needs to get all over it and offer pizza or coupons for food or SOMETHING....at the end of the season now but GET ON IT over winter.  Are other sports as poorly attended???? Who looks into this??

The only thing to cheer me up is this:

https://youtu.be/efFt8-Eg7BI

Well this is the B & W Hamms Beer Bear Commercial form the 1950s

Is anyone asking how long UND will fund football with all those empty seats???

1 minute ago, Mama Sue said:

You know that photo of the empty student section worries me much more than coaching errors..... much more. The only word is pathetic....sad....and really the saddest for our student athletes….even Muss had better student attendance....this is serious...

My first thought was if they quit selling beer...do they sell beer inside? I don't know; I have never had one.

Man something has to be done about this...I mean the GF GOBC needs to get all over it and offer pizza or coupons for food or SOMETHING....at the end of the season now but GET ON IT over winter.  Are other sports as poorly attended???? Who looks into this??

I can promise you Miss didn’t have better student attendance.  I didnt bother reading after that.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

You know that photo of the empty student section worries me much more than coaching errors..... much more. 

Ummmm, that photo doesn't show anything..except what the entire west stands are empty a half hour before kickoff.

Some people are more worried about what happens in the stands than on the field.

1 hour ago, Longtime fan said:

If you would pay attention, you would notice that UND is relevant right now......

As far as National Championship talk goes, we just lost by one possession to a team that was in the semi-finals last season, and could very well be playing in Frisco come January.  So honestly to answer your question, we are maybe not as far away as you think.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

The college crowd has become fickle everywhere - The fact is that it isn't pizza or coupons that will do it - it is putting an exciting team on the field - one that people think is going to make a national splash and is exciting to watch. Like it or not, the Gold Standard is 70 miles south.   The sad fact is that Bubba and company have a history of very frustrating home performances when the stakes are high.  Usually during these losses fans go home believing that we have been visibly out-coached.  Other than a mediocre Montana team, we have had two shots at making a statement - Idaho State was a fiasco and now this.  How many times do we have to be out adjusted in the 3rd for Bubba to wake up?  Just like with Rudy he just doesn't get it and probably never will.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

If you would pay attention, you would notice that UND is relevant right now......

As far as National Championship talk goes, we just lost by one possession to a team that was in the semi-finals last season, and could very well be playing in Frisco come January.  So honestly to answer your question, we are maybe not as far away as you think.

Only if they outlawed any adjustments for the second half or didn't count the third quarter.  

2 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

I gave und credit for 8 mins of a nice looking offense.....that will not cut it in the playoffs ( if they are to make it). They need a competent offense that’s capable of sustaining long drives and finishing those drives with points on a consensus basis (regardless of opponent) to succeed on the national scene and to become a true contender.

The glaring weakness on D is speed.  The lack of speed will not cut it in playoffs ( if they are to make it)  The D more often than not is pretty sound.  When they are off their game ...the offense is incapable of helping out.  The D is not allowed a bad game .....and when they do we witness Idaho st and Weber games.  

Perhaps the biggest issue for both the O and D is the lack of adjusting.  This regime is extremely hard headed.  They resist the notion to adjust accordingly to how the game is being played. They set their plan A and thats that!!!   Playing a talented team and getting out played on both sides of the ball and no change.  They live and die with plan A.  That will not cut it in the playoffs. 

Without question......Rudolph.  He’s been needing to be gone for 4 years now. 

I agree with you that this staff seems to get out adjusted at halftime. My point is that it's not just offense. Look at the stats for the bubba tenure. The reason this team only won 3 games last year was not because the offense.

As far as being a contenter for a national title, I'm with you, it's frustrating that we are not in the conversation for a title but I will ask you this, name more than one team that is? SDSU, UNI, Weber State, non of these teams have a chance of winning a national championship. Should their coaching staffs all be let go?

1 hour ago, Tangolou said:

As far as being a contenter for a national title, I'm with you, it's frustrating that we are not in the conversation for a title but I will ask you this, name more than one team that is? SDSU, UNI, Weber State, non of these teams have a chance of winning a national championship. Should their coaching staffs all be let go?

This, although I think Weber could have a legit shot at making it to the Championship game.  But really NDSU is just better than everyone this year, JMU doesn't seem to be what they were last year.  There really is not much of a big threat to NDSU by anyone this year, and they don't get out coached so it's not like that will magically happen during the playoffs.    Montana State might as well can their coach, he's been there a couple years and they haven't done anything and likely aren't sniffing the playoffs this year. 

Not saying our coaching staff has what it takes to do it though, but lets see how this season plays out.  Not going to fire anyone during the season.  I think we are capable of beating any of the teams outside the top 5-7, not like that is the goal but that's about where we are at.  Need to keep recruiting, 2019 seemed to be a good class and our OL is young. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Tangolou said:

I agree with you that this staff seems to get out adjusted at halftime. My point is that it's not just offense. Look at the stats for the bubba tenure. The reason this team only won 3 games last year was not because the offense.

Great point.  UND is in a tough position sharing the same state as NDSU and constantly being compared.  I agree, from what I have seen this year there is no team in FCS that will challenge NDSU.  UND has a good team which is improving.  UND IMO is still missing some pieces to challenge NDSU although anything can happen on a given Saturday.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Irish said:

The college crowd has become fickle everywhere - The fact is that it isn't pizza or coupons that will do it - it is putting an exciting team on the field - one that people think is going to make a national splash and is exciting to watch. Like it or not, the Gold Standard is 70 miles south.   The sad fact is that Bubba and company have a history of very frustrating home performances when the stakes are high.  Usually during these losses fans go home believing that we have been visibly out-coached.  Other than a mediocre Montana team, we have had two shots at making a statement - Idaho State was a fiasco and now this.  How many times do we have to be out adjusted in the 3rd for Bubba to wake up?  Just like with Rudy he just doesn't get it and probably never will.  

It is a trend everywhere, Alabama has troubles getting students to games.

1 hour ago, CMSioux said:

It is a trend everywhere, Alabama has troubles getting students to games.

Alabama???? Seriously..... wow I am way behind....I will have to pay more attention to the stands when I watch college games on TV....some of those multi-multi million dollar stadiums were planning to use ticket sales to pay off bonds....wow

12 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Does it take a national title to be "relevant" because UND football has done that exactly 1 time ever.  If you expect UND to have the same success NDSU has had recently you are going to be waiting a long time because a run like this will most likely never happen again.  

I would say making the playoff is relevant, conference title is relevant.  I would say it hasn't been that long since UND football was relevant but last season did suck.  

I was frustrated with the game but it was clear the ILB were out of position for a lot of the game.  The offense wasn't very good but I wasn't expected a lot against a very good defense.  20 points on the board should have won the game if the defense played well at all.  The blame doesn't fall to one group or player but the defense was the biggest problem for me considering they were playing a below average offense.  Giving up all the 3rd and long plays was hard to watch!

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, BigGame said:

Does it take a national title to be "relevant" because UND football has done that exactly 1 time ever.  If you expect UND to have the same success NDSU has had recently you are going to be waiting a long time because a run like this will most likely never happen again.  

I would say making the playoff is relevant, conference title is relevant.  I would say it hasn't been that long since UND football was relevant but last season did suck.  

As much as winning a national championship in football is probably the ultimate goal, I think being the team that takes down NDSU from reigning supreme, even if it didn't result in a natty, would be enough for most.  What that says about UND football you can come to your own conclusions.  People seemed pretty happy about it in the '90s, even though we weren't winning the big one.

1 hour ago, Mama Sue said:

Alabama???? Seriously..... wow I am way behind....I will have to pay more attention to the stands when I watch college games on TV....some of those multi-multi million dollar stadiums were planning to use ticket sales to pay off bonds....wow

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2018/10/upset_with_small_crowd_nick_sa.amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/sports/2018/10/04/nick-saban-complains-about-alabamas-student-section-again/

Not only does he want students to show up early and stay the entire game (even when it is 28-0 at the end of the first quarter) he want you to cheer the entire game as well. 

8 minutes ago, BigGame said:

I kind of lost my !@#$ in the 4th quarter when Rodgers had the RB for a stop on 3rd and long but didn't wrap up and just tried to knock him down or push out of bounds.  

I lost mine too, but that is where the TOP comes into play.  UND's 9 minutes TOP in 2nd half is awful.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Boogieman said:

I’d like to add, if I could, that I love the all green uniforms!  Lose the gray and stick with the head to toe green.  Looks sharp!

Lose the gray period. I hate that look. Green jerseys with white pants need to be worn far more often ...

But yes, green jersey and green pants is a fine true alternate look. The gray is just ... meh!

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Watched UND FB from pool side cabana, definitely a new one for me.  I am being lazy and I am sure you guys caught it but most suprising to me was our D Line was manhandled, nothing works for the D when that happens.

Spot on!!

UND consistently wins only when they win in the trenches. Against Weber State, UND couldn't consistently run the ball nor stop the run. As a result, Weber scored 35 points and UND's offense only scored 13. Quite fortunate the game was as close as it was, really.