SiouxSports.com Forum

UND - Weber State Game Day Thread

SiouxFan100

15 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Would prefer a 4-3 scheme. More meat up front.  If tank/Greer are off their game ....the entire front 7 is out of sync.  The LBs were not helping either.  Their o line is good....no sacks for und . Their rb is very quick and put together ....tough as nails. Ran with authority yet swiftness.

Und isn’t ready 

I'm afraid a simple defensive front switch wouldn't fix the defense's ability. Nice easy way of thinking of things, though. 

Whether you have 3 down linemen or 4, it still comes down to leverage and winning against the guy in front of you. Don't get caught up in the details before the fundamentals. 

When it comes to the crowd, the students will come only with consistent winning, but, even with that, it is not guarenteed as evidenced around the country.

One major action that can be done with this situation immediately is moving the student section. The size/amount of seats can stay the same, just allow the paying season ticket holders to sit from the 30 to the 30. It would be more practical (has to be moved in postseason anyways) and aesthetically appealing (tv broadcast faces that direction). 

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I lost mine too, but that is where the TOP comes into play.  UND's 9 minutes TOP in 2nd half is awful.

Sure but the Defense has to get themselves off the field by making plays on 3rd down and they didn't do it almost the entire game.  Going into the game I figured this was going to be tough for the offense but I also figured the defense would be able to hold a sub par offense and they didn't.  

2 minutes ago, BigGame said:

Sure but the Defense has to get themselves off the field by making plays on 3rd down and they didn't do it almost the entire game.  Going into the game I figured this was going to be tough for the offense but I also figured the defense would be able to hold a sub par offense and they didn't.  

0 sacks tells the story there. Defense didn't get enough pressure on third down. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WiSioux said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2018/10/upset_with_small_crowd_nick_sa.amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/sports/2018/10/04/nick-saban-complains-about-alabamas-student-section-again/

Not only does he want students to show up early and stay the entire game (even when it is 28-0 at the end of the first quarter) he want you to cheer the entire game as well. 

WOW. I consider myself educated! Thanks!

29 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Their QB was a stud and took over the game and was a big part of why they won.

Weber had a great plan on third down and their QB knew exactly where to go when we brought pressure.  I said it earlier, but their first TD play was ALL on their coaching staff.  The formation drew our ILB's out to cover the slot receivers so the middle was wide open and the QB could almost walk into the end zone.

40 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Weber had a great plan on third down and their QB knew exactly where to go when we brought pressure.  I said it earlier, but their first TD play was ALL on their coaching staff.  The formation drew our ILB's out to cover the slot receivers so the middle was wide open and the QB could almost walk into the end zone.

They switched the strength of formation quickly before snapping a lot of times.  There were many plays the defense was looking around at the snap. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BigGame said:

Except he isn't really a stud but had a good game, oh and the defense made it pretty easy for him.  

Big Sky offensive player of the week.

Of course we can blame the defense, but sometimes individual players just have great games....especially after getting benched.

He was a 3 Star recruit out of high school who signed with Boise State. 

• Upvote 1

Wow am I disappointed in the defense. 0 sacks and barely much pressure. Overall the tackling looked like last year. There is no excuse for that. Also like last year, Weber seemed to get free years unbtouched all the time. Without some fluky luck on special teams they kick our ass. You could tell from the first snap that they just have better looking athletes than us. The speed difference on both sides of the ball was incredible. We were out schemed the entire game on both sides. They were proactive, we were reactive. I could go on and on but it’s better to move on to Idaho.

5 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Wow am I disappointed in the defense. 0 sacks and barely much pressure. Overall the tackling looked like last year. There is no excuse for that. Also like last year, Weber seemed to get free years unbtouched all the time. Without some fluky luck on special teams they kick our ass. You could tell from the first snap that they just have better looking athletes than us. The speed difference on both sides of the ball was incredible. We were out schemed the entire game on both sides. They were proactive, we were reactive. I could go on and on but it’s better to move on to Idaho.

Agree with being out coaches and tackling.  

Disagree with most of the others.  I think having our true #2 and #3 WRs makes our offense look a lot different   Hopefully one of them can get back soon   Not an excuse, you play with what you have  I also don’t think our special teams plays were lucky  we were close on a kick block all game and the KR was just breaking a tackle and going   

Also agree it’s time to move on to Idaho. 

43 minutes ago, Cratter said:

The UND offense averaged four points a quarter.

A UND defensive player had to score a TD for UND to keep the game close.

Did you do the math on the defense? 8 points a quarter.

So, the defense gets credit for good special teams plays? 

BTW, what's your point?

1 hour ago, Kap said:

BTW, what's your point?

This UND team has two losses at home this year. One to one of the best teams in FCS, the other to Idaho State.

The defense vs Idaho State gave up 566 total yards.

The defense vs Weber State gave up 450 total yards.

The defense has gotten better against a much better opponent.

The offense vs Idaho State got 469 total yards and 23 first downs.

The offense vs Weber State got 321 total yards and 18 first downs.

If the offense gets 469 yards like they did against Idaho state, UND wins this game easily...or if the teams switch quarterbacks. :whistling:

Simplistic terms: Defense got better. Offense got worse.

You can twist this all you want. The defense allowed 35 points to a poorly ranked offense. Your numbers above prove ISU has abetter offense than Weber and Weber has a better defense than ISU. Again, what's your point?

Accept it and move on. 

The season is not lost, the team has a real chance to make the playoffs.

• Upvote 3

We were really missing some speed on offense this week. We need some speed to get guys open against their good corners. I thought we would be fine without Izzy and Santiago but it was glaring that we didn’t have the same level of speed. 

The team played their hearts out and only lost by 5 points. The loss sucks but we were right with them if we could have got a couple stops or got something going on offense. We need to get healthy and win out. We can make a run if some guys can step up and fill these voids.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

This UND team has two losses at home this year. One to one of the best teams in FCS, the other to Idaho State.

The defense vs Idaho State gave up 566 total yards.

The defense vs Weber State gave up 450 total yards.

The defense has gotten better against a much better opponent.

The offense vs Idaho State got 469 total yards and 23 first downs.

The offense vs Weber State got 321 total yards and 18 first downs.

If the offense gets 469 yards like they did against Idaho state, UND wins this game easily...or if the teams switch quarterbacks. :whistling:

Simplistic terms: Defense got better. Offense got worse.

Image result for god have mercy on your soul meme

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, bincitysioux said:

The defense has been a bigger liability than has the offense this year.  

I dont disagree with this. That's why it was obvious from the first drive if UND was going to win this game the offense was going to need to put up some points.

The UND Defense gave up 58 more yards than their season average.

The UND offense had 124 less yards than their season average.

That's why, IMO, this loss "doesn't entirely rest on the defense."

11 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I dont disagree with this. That's why it was obvious from the first drive if UND was going to win this game the offense was going to need to put up some points.

The UND Defense gave up 58 more yards than their season average.

The UND offense had 124 less yards than their season average.

That's why, IMO, this loss "doesn't entirely rest on the defense."

K, but knowing the opponent has one of the best defenses in fcs and one of the worst offenses in fcs, we should expect our team's stats to adjust accordingly. Defense didn't do its job Saturday. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

K, but knowing the opponent has one of the best defenses in fcs and one of the worst offenses in fcs, we should expect our team's stats to adjust accordingly. Defense didn't do its job Saturday. 

I wasn't at the game, but watched the limited amount that was shown on the out door screen at the Orleans (they had issues keeping the game on). Weber's offense didn't look like one of the worst in fcs, stats are one thing, but was it really our defense or could their offense be considerable better than what the stats show. They played JM well enough to win in last years playoffs?