SiouxSports.com Forum

UND - Weber State Game Day Thread

SiouxFan100

4 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I wasn't at the game, but watched the limited amount that was shown on the out door screen at the Orleans (they had issues keeping the game on). Weber's offense didn't look like one of the worst in fcs, stats are one thing, but was it really our defense or could their offense be considerable better than what the stats show. They played JM well enough to win in last years playoffs?

I think they played a good game on offense with a good game plan but it was a lot of easy passes for the QB to guys that for the most part were wide open.  

8 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Spin it how you want, but IMO the defense has been a bigger liability than has the offense this year.  

Idaho St's offense is light years ahead of Weber's.  And Weber's defense is light years ahead of Idaho St's.  

Comparing ISU and Weber is an apples to bowling balls comparison.,...,

Man, be careful. I disagree. Both sides of the ball have been at least equally at fault. 

The offensive output in the second half this season has been atrocious. I don’t see how anyone with a football mind can overlook that. 

Also, the untimely turnovers by the offense have been huge momentum killers. Goal line fumble against Idaho State? Interception while tied against Weber State? At least 7 of the 35 points UND allowed against Weber were off a turnover - partial blame to offense. Remember how the UND offense looked against Washington? Defense kept UND in the game for 3 quarters!

I just don’t agree with this newfound bashing of the defense and ignorance of the offensive mistakes. Both sides of the ball (and of course special teams!) need to improve in order for UND to be a competent playoff team.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Cratter said:

This UND team has two losses at home this year. One to one of the best teams in FCS, the other to Idaho State.

The defense vs Idaho State gave up 566 total yards.

The defense vs Weber State gave up 450 total yards.

The defense has gotten better against a much better opponent.

The offense vs Idaho State got 469 total yards and 23 first downs.

The offense vs Weber State got 321 total yards and 18 first downs.

If the offense gets 469 yards like they did against Idaho state, UND wins this game easily...or if the teams switch quarterbacks. :whistling:

Simplistic terms: Defense got better. Offense got worse.

Before Saturday, Weber offense was averaging 266 ypg and 25 points

Idaho State averaged 543 ypg and 43 points.

Statistically, the offenses are apples and oranges.....but keep going....

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Also, the untimely turnovers by the offense have been huge momentum killers.

I havent looked up the stats but it seems like Ketteringham is good for at least one interception a game.

(Of course one could argue they aren't all his fault.)

20 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I havent looked up the stats but it seems like Ketteringham is good for at least one interception a game.

(Of course one could argue they aren't all his fault.)

He seems to run very hot and cold.  He makes some very good plays at times and other times some really poor decisions. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Apparently UND sucks on D and O and ST........................shouldn't they be 3-5???

They would be if they had to play anyone but the teams they beat suck. Even if they make the playoffs, they will get killed.

(I don't believe that, just speaking for the "football minds" around here.

Here is a question for the couch coaches around here. After we scored on the blocked punt, I believe it was around 3 minutes left, we chose to onside kick. Do you think that decision was made because we are so poor at covering kicks? As in, what's the difference if we kick deep and they run it out to the 40 or we on side kick and if we miss they are at mid field. Or do you think it had more to do with the fact we had no timeouts left?

I was surprised they onside kicked with that much time left.

2 hours ago, Tangolou said:

Here is a question for the couch coaches around here. After we scored on the blocked punt, I believe it was around 3 minutes left, we chose to onside kick. Do you think that decision was made because we are so poor at covering kicks? As in, what's the difference if we kick deep and they run it out to the 40 or we on side kick and if we miss they are at mid field. Or do you think it had more to do with the fact we had no timeouts left?

The way they had been picking us apart, converting on third downs, dominating time of possession, I’m thinking possibly our coaching staff didn’t have enough confidence in being able to stop them.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Tangolou said:

I wasn't surprised, the defense had not been able to get off the field on 3rd down all game long and we had no timeouts left.  IMO it was the right call.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Tangolou said:

They only had 1 guy back so no one to block. (should be able to cover in that case.)  I thought we would kick deep in that case.  I'm sure they would fair catch and take ball at 25.  IMO much better chance to force 3 and out and take ball close to mid field with 40 sec left.  I think they forced a 3 and out after on side kick.

6 hours ago, BigGame said:

I wasn't surprised, the defense had not been able to get off the field on 3rd down all game long and we had no timeouts left.  IMO it was the right call.

I really wasn't questioning the call, I was just curious what everyone else thought. I was surprised at first but now I think it was the right call with no timeouts.

On 10/30/2018 at 9:07 AM, BigGame said:

He seems to run very hot and cold.  He makes some very good plays at times and other times some really poor decisions. 

This is a big part of the problem with the offense.  Kett is good for 3 or 4 bonehead plays per game, which can easily turn the game in the wrong direction if they happen at the wrong time.  He continues to stare down his primary reciever and telegraph his throws.  Zimm should get some game time reps or a half just to see what he can do with the clock running, but the coaching staff keeps the blinders on once a decision has been made.  

2 hours ago, ep92501 said:

This is a big part of the problem with the offense.  Kett is good for 3 or 4 bonehead plays per game, which can easily turn the game in the wrong direction if they happen at the wrong time.  He continues to stare down his primary reciever and telegraph his throws.  Zimm should get some game time reps or a half just to see what he can do with the clock running, but the coaching staff keeps the blinders on once a decision has been made.  

There's been many times that I've been thankful this team finally has a bona fide QB. He is not perfect, but he's much better than any we've had in the past few years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ep92501 said:

agree with him staring down wr's and predetermining where/who he's gonna throw too...he'll get better at those (hopefully!) as he becomes more comfortable with his teammates and the system...i just wish rudy would use his running ability and his damn toughness more get him up to around 40 or 50 yards rushing every game (and use the te's)!!!

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

agree with him staring down wr's and predetermining where/who he's gonna throw too...he'll get better at those (hopefully!) as he becomes more comfortable with his teammates and the system...i just wish rudy would use his running ability and his damn toughness more get him up to around 40 or 50 yards rushing every game (and use the te's)!!!

I agree and I think running him is worth the risk.  I don't feel like it is a big difference between Ket and Zim or even Boltmann so just cut them loose and if an injury happens... deal with it.  If he runs the ball last week a 5 to 10 times time I think the entire game changes because the Weber D were flying to the ball on every handoff.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shep said:

There's been many times that I've been thankful this team finally has a bona fide QB. He is not perfect, but he's much better than any we've had in the past few years.

Totally agree. He’s made some very impressive throws.  Having the receiver corps we do makes quick strikes possible, like at the end of the first half against Weber.  That wouldn’t have happened previously. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Ketteringham is head and shoulders the best QB on the roster. UND finally has some quality backups if QB1 was to go down, but it really isn't even that close and there would be a drop-off.

Not saying bench him but that account flys against the people who watched the qb competition.