SiouxSports.com Forum

UND - Weber State Game Day Thread

SiouxFan100

16 hours ago, ep92501 said:

This is a big part of the problem with the offense.  Kett is good for 3 or 4 bonehead plays per game, which can easily turn the game in the wrong direction if they happen at the wrong time.  He continues to stare down his primary reciever and telegraph his throws.  Zimm should get some game time reps or a half just to see what he can do with the clock running, but the coaching staff keeps the blinders on once a decision has been made.  

Ketteringham is one of the best quarterbacks UND has had in a while. He needs more experience, weapons, and better play-calling, which he will hopefully get as time goes on. Get off the damn Zimmerman bandwagon

All this conjecture doesn’t surprise me, though. You know what they say about who everyone’s favorite player is? (Hint: it’s not the starter).

He makes about 2-3 bad passes per game and they usually happen when he is rushed and throws off his back foot.  If he can mentally catch himself in those situations and either throw it away quickly or take the sack (or try to scramble) UND will be much better off as an offense.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

He makes about 2-3 bad passes per game and they usually happen when he is rushed and throws off his back foot.  If he can mentally catch himself in those situations and either throw it away quickly or take the sack (or try to scramble) UND will be much better off as an offense.  

This.  I'd like to see Kett call his own number a bit more when the pocket breaks down rather than throwing a floater off his back foot.

7 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Ketteringham is one of the best quarterbacks UND has had in a while. He needs more experience, weapons, and better play-calling, which he will hopefully get as time goes on. Get off the damn Zimmerman bandwagon

All this conjecture doesn’t surprise me, though. You know what they say about who everyone’s favorite player is? (Hint: it’s not the starter).

I’d take Hansen, Hendrickson, and Mollberg over him so I would not say a while.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Seriously, Mollberg?  :blink::silly:

I know people like to !@#$ on him but most don’t consider that he was asked to carry a bad team as a fr. I believe the tragedy is that he was on the precipus of greatness when he got injured. He was just about to turn the corner. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I know people like to !@#$ on him but most don’t consider that he was asked to carry a bad team as a fr. I believe the tragedy is that he was on the precipus of greatness when he got injured. He was just about to turn the corner. 

He played well in the 2nd half of the Montana game in 2014 and followed that up starting 7/8 against Portland State.  Got a concussion in the 1st quarter against PSU, was hurt again early the following week again SUU, and was never given another chance.  With that said, he was a little slow-footed from what I remember.

6 hours ago, SiouxBoys said:

I would take all three of their wide receiver units over our current. Would love to see what Kett could do with Hardin and Golladay 

Fantastic duo. Add in Jameer....great trio.

Nate would have similar numbers as he does now.  Rudy would have Kenny in the backfield powering him up the middle and Hardin would be used on the occasional jet sweep.  

• Like 2

On 11/1/2018 at 11:16 AM, UND-FB-FAN said:

It's the coaching staff who makes the decisions as to who is going to play as we know, and if you recall, last year Heidlebaugh ahead of Zimm.  I probably don't have to remind you what that !@#$ show looked like when Studs went down.  Heidlebaugh looked like a deer in the headlights had never played QB in his life.  So please don't suggest that the coaching staff always plays the best guy at each position.  Another example is this year at NG.  The opening depth chart had Morrison ahead of Greer, so take another look at that coaching call after the spring and fall camps after 8 games. The coaching staff consistently makes decisions and puts the blinders on.  They have no ability to look left or right or take a chance by shaking things up.  You should stop drinking the cool aide and open your eyes to all of the possibilties around taking some chances moving personnel around.  Kett may get better with experience, but so far this season he continues to make the same mistakes. 

On 11/1/2018 at 11:24 AM, UND-1 said:

D1 starting QB's don't continually make those same mistakes game after game and continue to start for long.  There is too much depth and competion.  They all have the tools or they wouldn't be there.  At this point what is happening is between their ears.  Did anyone notice the difference between Kett and Weber's QB last week as to decision making and scanning the secondary looking for the open reciever?  Their guy had his eyes downfield going through his progressions, and ours was missing open guys while he was locked into his primary often throwing into double coverage.  Kett has the tools but he needs to be coached up, or they need to see who else at the position can play in game time situations instead simply evauating them in practice situations.

Kett is a good QB. He didn’t allow 35 points to a poorly ranked WSU offense. I have seen many long passes that were right on the money. I haven’t seen that type of success or back shoulder completions for years. 

Nobody would be saying anything if UND hadn’t lost last Saturday.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ep92501 said:

D1 starting QB's don't continually make those same mistakes game after game and continue to start for long.  There is too much depth and competion.  They all have the tools or they wouldn't be there.  At this point what is happening is between their ears.  Did anyone notice the difference between Kett and Weber's QB last week as to decision making and scanning the secondary looking for the open reciever?  Their guy had his eyes downfield going through his progressions, and ours was missing open guys while he was locked into his primary often throwing into double coverage.  Kett has the tools but he needs to be coached up, or they need to see who else at the position can play in game time situations instead simply evauating them in practice situations.

Weber has the most success throwing short.  Their QB didn’t impress me as much as their game plan 

2 hours ago, ep92501 said:

It's the coaching staff who makes the decisions as to who is going to play as we know, and if you recall, last year Heidlebaugh ahead of Zimm.  I probably don't have to remind you what that !@#$ show looked like when Studs went down.  Heidlebaugh looked like a deer in the headlights had never played QB in his life.  So please don't suggest that the coaching staff always plays the best guy at each position.  Another example is this year at NG.  The opening depth chart had Morrison ahead of Greer, so take another look at that coaching call after the spring and fall camps after 8 games. The coaching staff consistently makes decisions and puts the blinders on.  They have no ability to look left or right or take a chance by shaking things up.  You should stop drinking the cool aide and open your eyes to all of the possibilties around taking some chances moving personnel around.  Kett may get better with experience, but so far this season he continues to make the same mistakes. 

So you’re suggesting you know better than the coaching staff? That’s a bold move, especially on this website.

If you think Ketteringham is the reason UND lost to Washington, Idaho State, and/or Weber State, AND it’s not the defense, special teams, offensive linemen, or skill position players making mistakes also, AND the schemes and play-calling is already at a winning level, then sure, I guess go with Zimmerman. 

The thing is, UND did not lose 3 games because of solely Ketteringham. UND did lose 3 games because multiple players and coaches did not execute their job to the level needed. UND does not currently have the offensive coaching, schemes, and play-calling for quarterbacks to put up big numbers and play mistake free football. 

So, all things considered, Zimmerman going in wouldn’t change anything major. Don’t play musical chairs with quarterbacks - that NEVER works and I’m steadfast on that. Allow Ketteringham to grow in the Rudolph offense (if that’s possible) and continue to gain valuable experience. 

14 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

For QB who was the ??? Caswell Cannon and when did he play.... I clearly remember radio announcers calling him that.... didn’t they say he would go home and drive his tractor all the time? I just remember him being good and also Bubba’s brother.

Tony Stein from Cogswell, ND was/is the Cogswell Cannon.  He played at UND 1997-99.  Great kid, great arm!

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

So you’re suggesting you know better than the coaching staff? That’s a bold move, especially on this website.

If you think Ketteringham is the reason UND lost to Washington, Idaho State, and/or Weber State, AND it’s not the defense, special teams, offensive linemen, or skill position players making mistakes also, AND the schemes and play-calling is already at a winning level, then sure, I guess go with Zimmerman. 

The thing is, UND did not lose 3 games because of solely Ketteringham. UND did lose 3 games because multiple players and coaches did not execute their job to the level needed. UND does not currently have the offensive coaching, schemes, and play-calling for quarterbacks to put up big numbers and play mistake free football. 

So, all things considered, Zimmerman going in wouldn’t change anything major. Don’t play musical chairs with quarterbacks - that NEVER works and I’m steadfast on that. Allow Ketteringham to grow in the Rudolph offense (if that’s possible) and continue to gain valuable experience. 

No where in any of my posts do I suggest that the losses were Kett's fault.  What I am saying is that Kett, Zimm and Boltmann all have the tools.  These guys are all teamates, and the goal of everyone is to win games.  So when one guy is erratic, why not give one of the others a shot and see what he does in a game situation.  And I am not suggesting playing musical chairs at the QB position.  What I am saying is get your athletes on the field in a game, evaluate them in real time, and see if one of them rises to the top.  Our offense would lose nothing to give Zimm  or even Boltmann a half to see what they can do.  It would also help prepare them should the guy ahead of him go down.  As to the coaching staff, they have shown an inability to deviate or shake things up time after time and demonstrated blocked headedness not just as to who is playing but in game planning.

• Upvote 1

On 11/1/2018 at 12:01 PM, geaux_sioux said:

Mollberg was quite possibly the most over-hyped recruit UND ever landed.  He had a good arm, but always thought Bartels was the  better QB on the roster in that era.  I agree with you on Hansen and Hendrickson though.  Was always more partial to Hendrickson myself.........