SiouxSports.com Forum

UND - Weber State Game Day Thread

SiouxFan100

I may be in the minority here, but the punt on 4th and one foot, in the 3rd quarter, completely showed me what this coaching staff's attitude is.  They don't have one.  And that trickles down to the players.  I understand we're on our own 20. But for crying out loud, we don't need the second coming of this "oh, golly gee shucks" nonsense we got with the Muss regime.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, shep said:

In the sober light of morning, this is what hit me. Weber is a top 5 team in the country. UND did not have a very good game and lost by 5.  UND can't take any games off the rest of the way, but should make the playoffs and make some noise in the playoffs.

The part that worries me is that UND didnt have a good game when they needed it, at home, and a big part of that was the defense.

• Upvote 1

Does UND get in at 8-3? My Magic 8 Ball answered "Don't count on it".

Read this in another thread.....does UND 8-3 get in over 7-4 ISU with both having same conference record and ISU beating UND on the road? Good question.

9 hours ago, bison73 said:

Where are the fans??????

What you are seeing is the student section. It needs to be moved immediately to the 20 yard line, not the 50 yard line. It would need to be moved in postseason anyways. It looks pathetic empty like that. Don’t buy the Las Vegas game excuse because what you’re seeing empty is the student section. 

Paying fans/season ticket holders deserve the 50 yard line seats on both sides. It’s the way it is around the country in DI football. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, bincitysioux said:

This loss falls squarely on the defense, and it's really not up for debate.  UND put up 30 points against the best defense in the Big Sky and it wasn't enough.  That is the highest point total that Weber has allowed all year against an FCS team.  

On the other hand, Weber has the worst offense in the Big Sky by quite a bit, and they managed their second highest point output of the season against us.  Their QB, who was benched a week ago for poor play, had a career game against us.

I don't feel that the sky is falling.  UND lost a close game to what I think is one of the 5 best teams in the country that has a legit shot to make it to Frisco.  I'm frustrated that they didn't beat Weber, because the opportunity was there.  But North Dakota is still an above average team, that could make the playoffs if we win the next 3.  And anything can happen then.

I agree the defense needed to play way better, particularly based on Weber’s Offensive stats coming into this game. 

Anytime a Bubba/Schmidt led defense has 0 sacks, things probably didn’t go as planned.

But let’s not let the offense off the hook. They needed to play way better also. They only scored 3 points in the entire second half! That is not a recipe for success either.

Quite frankly, I chalk the loss up to UND again playing a poor second half and it cost them this game. Weber came out and took the game in the 2nd half like a winning program does. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Read this in another thread.....does UND 8-3 get in over 7-4 ISU with both having same conference record and ISU beating UND on the road? Good question.

You better shake your 8 ball again.  One of ISUs win is against D2 power Western State (currently 2-7).  No chance ISU gets in at 7-4

9 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I don’t know about your magic ball but I know UND deserves to be in at 8-3 and not at 7-4. 

UND needs to win the next three games, two of which are on the road; that’s not easy or a guarantee by any stretch. 

On to Idaho. Would be nice to see UND crush them in the Kibbie Dome after the whipping they gave Mussman’s teams in 2010 and 2011. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I don’t know about your magic ball but I know UND deserves to be in at 8-3 and not at 7-4. 

UND needs to win the next three games, two of which are on the road; that’s not easy or a guarantee by any stretch. 

Fair enough.......need to win out.

20 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

What you are seeing is the student section. It needs to be moved immediately to the 20 yard line, not the 50 yard line. It would need to be moved in postseason anyways. It looks pathetic empty like that. Don’t buy the Las Vegas game excuse because what you’re seeing empty is the student section. 

Paying fans/season ticket holders deserve the 50 yard line seats on both sides. It’s the way it is around the country in DI football. 

I was shocked at the empty seats on the photos.... seriously this is an issue. I was skeptical when someone posted coaches were handing out free tickets in the library or something like that a year or two ago. WOW Now I see why....apathy is much worse than negativity. Need to get students in those seat and yes they should be moved..... WOW. What an eye opener!!

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The stands behind the UND bench was filled in. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mama Sue said:

I was shocked at the empty seats on the photos.... seriously this is an issue. I was skeptical when someone posted coaches were handing out free tickets in the library or something like that a year or two ago. WOW Now I see why....apathy is much worse than negativity. Need to get students in those seat and yes they should be moved..... WOW. What an eye opener!!

I'm not shocked, and yes this is a big problem.  Same crowds I was used to a few years back as a student

Will UND/Nodak Nation do anything about it?  I wouldn't hold my breath. 

I love that the coaches do that and all.... however that shouldn't be the only thing being done. 

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I agree the defense needed to play way better, particularly based on Weber’s Offensive stats coming into this game. 

Anytime a Bubba/Schmidt led defense has 0 sacks, things probably didn’t go as planned.

But let’s not let the offense off the hook. They needed to play way better also. They only scored 3 points in the entire second half! That is not a recipe for success either.

Quite frankly, I chalk the loss up to UND again playing a poor second half and it cost them this game. Weber came out and took the game in the 2nd half like a winning program does. 

I'm not saying the offense was stellar by any means, but I feel they did enough against one of the best defenses in the entire country to win the game if our defense would have done their part.  30 points combined by the offense and special teams should be enough to win against one of the nation's most anemic offenses.

If they win out, they will be in. I have no doubt about that. 

UNDFB360 guys made a good tweet about how Weber protected the QB and how the next 3 teams can do the same thing.

the D is going to have to figure that part out. 

Take some frustration out in Moscow and go from there. 

• Upvote 3

This was a Team loss, offense, defense and special team all played a part in it. 

Offense: couldn't stay on the field in the second half. Bad time of possession.

Defense: couldn't stop the run. They consistently got 4 to 5 yards on first down. Allowed way to many 3rd down conversions to the worst offense in the Big Sky. 

Special Teams: our inability to kick deep and/or cover a kick off allowed Weber to have great field position all day. They consistently had the ball at the 35 or better all day. We were inside the 25 all day. Huge difference.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Goon said:

The stands behind the UND bench was filled in. 

That’s not what we’re discussing. The photo brought into question clearly showed the student section. The tv broadcast also shows the student section empty for all to see in disgust. 

We all know that the seats on the UND sideline are consistently full - that’s not the issue or the topic at all. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

That’s not what we’re discussing. The photo brought into question clearly showed the student section. The tv broadcast also shows the student section empty for all to see in disgust. 

We all know that the seats on the UND sideline are consistently full - that’s not the issue or the topic at all. 

I noticed that during the Montana game the student section was lacking in fans sitting in the stands. If the students don't want to attend sell those seats to folks that want to sit there. 

• Upvote 1