SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 Season

shep

45 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

Is it surprising not seeing Ev Williams on the 2 deep?

Personally I don't think so for a couple reasons:

1) Even though he is an FBS drop down and no doubt talented and big, he is still proving himself to the coaches and team.

2) Injuries last year aside, we have decent depth at MLB. I believe he will get plenty of playing time one way or the other.

4 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Ya, total athlete that you don't get from the other guys.  Look for Morrison on passing situations and he'll be tagged to pressure the QB or lay back for an RB on a screen.  I am not sure how UND plays it but normally if you see a guy that isn't pass rushing with full effort it's because he's assigned to smoother any offensive player lingering for a screen pass.

Tank and Greer - plug the middle - stop the run - put the O in 3rd and long - bring in Morrison. 

Also, with depth charts, if a player isn't happy with where he is at, it's up to the player to change that. (Greer/Ev Williams/many other guys)  So, although a good initial look, I wouldn't put too much into the 1st depth chart.

This makes sense. As always - Thanks gundy

1 minute ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

First preseason poll is out.  No surprise at #1.  UND is in the not too favorable "others recieving votes" part of the poll.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/polls.asp?div=fcs

Sam Houston at #4.  Need to win that one.  They should come into the game with us 1-0 (first game is against prairie view a&m).

12 minutes ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

Sam Houston at #4.  Need to win that one.  They should come into the game with us 1-0 (first game is against prairie view a&m).

No question, would be huge for UND to win that game versus Sam Houston State. Opportunity is there with this game being scheduled; is UND up to the task??

While we have mostly fallen off the radar after last years debacle, it is nice that we still got some votes. If we can upset Sam Houston I think that would likely jump us into the top 25.  If we won the next two after that we could potentially be 4-1 heading into a home game at Montana.  That Sam Houston game is going to be big, obviously.  That game will give us a good gauge as to where we are at.  We should win easy first game, Washington.....well yeah, Sam Houston will be the game we will know.  

40 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

While we have mostly fallen off the radar after last years debacle, it is nice that we still got some votes. If we can upset Sam Houston I think that would likely jump us into the top 25.  If we won the next two after that we could potentially be 4-1 heading into a home game at Montana.  That Sam Houston game is going to be big, obviously.  That game will give us a good gauge as to where we are at.  We should win easy first game, Washington.....well yeah, Sam Houston will be the game we will know.  

Talk about a teeter totter those first two weeks: start out at home against possibly the worst team in FCS and then go on the road against a top 5 FBS team ... WOW

That 3rd game against Sam Houston State, considered one of the best FCS teams (#4 in ranking), is huge ... that is where we want UND to be (top of FCS); therefore, we absolutely need to expect UND to win that game.  I for one am also really looking forward to UND competing and potentially beating both Montana and Idaho (would be huge for playoff chances). 

DISCLAIMER: As we saw in 2016, UND can start the season 1-2 and yet make the playoffs (not ideal by any means).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Talk about a teeter totter those first two weeks: start out at home against possibly the worst team in FCS and then go on the road against a top 5 FBS team ... WOW

That 3rd game against Sam Houston State, considered one of the best FCS teams (#4 in ranking), is huge ... that is where we want UND to be (top of FCS); therefore, we absolutely need to expect UND to win that game.  I for one am also really looking forward to UND competing and potentially beating both Montana and Idaho (would be huge for playoff chances). 

DISCLAIMER: As we saw in 2016, UND can start the season 1-2 and yet make the playoffs (not ideal by any means).

The Sam Houston game is a must win for UND!   I have more doubts than positives for that game but if und wants to be taken seriously on a national level and garner confidence back to the fans and team ....they need to win against teams that have a national name and that have been perennially top shelf as of late.....like Sam.  They can definitely do it but will take a collective effort.   

Unds pass rush needs to dictate the game. Not confident in the secondary containing their burners....so the front 7 need to be massively disruptive.  They are a finesse team that will back off with aggression and physicality. “ Punch em in the nose”... and continue doing so.    

The o line needs to bring their A game, the play calling needs to be more than Santiago powering it up the middle and last but not least......hoping for heavy rain  ;)  Lol.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

First preseason poll is out.  No surprise at #1.  UND is in the not too favorable "others recieving votes" part of the poll.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/polls.asp?div=fcs

After the big slip last season, right out the shoot - getting "STATS FCS Poll" votes is a good thing, someone sees potential in us. We - of course all know we have potential. This is a ladder we can climb, a Sam Houston win would be a formidable leap. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Yeah I’m honestly surprised we had as many votes as we did. 

I think our votes came from reputation.   After about the  15th spot a lot of voters really don't know much about the current state of the team or just start marking the ballot.   Since we are somewhat of a known national commodity we get the votes.    This isn't a bad thing at all.   It shows we are getting our brand out there and people realize even after a dismal year like last year they still throw a bone our way due to recognition.

9 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

I am confident that we are going to give Sam Houston a surprise........................

The game plan is set up perfectly. The execution, particularly in the secondary, will be the ultimate determination of how the game goes. The odd thing is, even though though it will be the 3rd game of the year, I'm not sure if anyone will have a good pulse on how the team is sitting due to the extremes of the first two opponents.

44 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

The game plan is set up perfectly. The execution, particularly in the secondary, will be the ultimate determination of how the game goes. The odd thing is, even though though it will be the 3rd game of the year, I'm not sure if anyone will have a good pulse on how the team is sitting due to the extremes of the first two opponents.

Please please please, Schmidt, don’t just leave our corners on an island all game.... ever

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, AJS said:

Deion's interview last night got me really excited, I mentioned this about a week ago as well, but Harris being fully healthy is about as big of a game changer as there is on the FCS level.

Agreed.  Doesn't hurt to have an All American corner that will be playing in the NFL next year fully health and ready to take over games!!