SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 Season

shep

2 hours ago, Tangolou said:

I agree the O-Line needs to be much better. It has been the most disappointing position group during the Bubba era. There should be 5 year sr's. and 4 year jr's on this roster and there isn't many. Lots of misses in the first two recruiting classes.

That said, I checked SU's roster, they have 4 OL's over 300 and they avg 301lbs. We have 7 over 300 and avg 315. I don't think weight is the problem.

If this group is not better this year, the hot seat will be real..

Since Bubba got hired on like December 30th, I don't really count that first class truly as his class.  His first full what I'd call true Bubba class, if redshirted, would be juniors right now.  Brady and Santiago were in Bubba's first true recruiting class, but of course we had to pull their shirts so they are seniors.  Our redshirt seniors right now......were in a no mans class...kind of in the middle.  Not that there wasn't some decent guys in there, but you can't blame Bubba for not have recruited top OL in that class..   Thank god the early recruiting was in effect then or thought would have been really tough going without a coach for a month.  

5 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

JJ.....6’1” 250!!!   Good lord.  Big rb

He was big last year at 230....put on 20 to get to 250....damn!  Do you think they are going to maybe use him as FB or something and told him to bulk up?  If he is just going to be a RB....can he still be as nimble as he was when he is at 250?

5 hours ago, shep said:

Seguin +10 I really liked him in the spring game

Williams +5

Swenson +4

Bennett +22 (257)

Geier +13

Ott +3

Tobin +1

Nguon +10

Rooney +12

Russon +9

Jenkins +30 (now at 305, a MONSTER)

Helgren +8

Here's the weird part.

Dline. Tank -3, Cieslak -8, Morrison -10, Engwall -14 and on the O Line, poor Blair is down 4 though he may not have been 270 as the spring roster shows.

By the way I counted 6 over 300 and Helgren is at 298 and Russo at 294. Who is calling for the firing of the strength coach? Some of you just look for excuses to fire anyone!

No one said fire the strength coach, if I recall correctly. But increased weight needs to translate into being more stout and physical on the field in the trenches. Especially in the A and B gaps (on both sides of the ball). . As for skill guys, they key is to not sacrifice speed and agility while adding more weight. Increased muscle mass is needed to be more explosive and durable late in the game. Seems like step one has been taken care of. Lets see if it reflects on the field. I personally called for revamped and improved...that doesn't mean fire anyone.

10 hours ago, Tangolou said:

I agree the O-Line needs to be much better. It has been the most disappointing position group during the Bubba era. There should be 5 year sr's. and 4 year jr's on this roster and there isn't many. Lots of misses in the first two recruiting classes.

That said, I checked SU's roster, they have 4 OL's over 300 and they avg 301lbs. We have 7 over 300 and avg 315. I don't think weight is the problem.

If this group is not better this year, the hot seat will be real..

I wouldn't look too far into the weights for the offensive linemen. 

I would, however, get caught up in the lack of production from the offensive line during the Bubba era. There has been a combination of physical inability from the players and lack of coordination/discipline coming from the coaching staff. Also, one could argue the scheme hasn't done the o-line any favors either.

Lots of blame to go around. Football is based on results; I don't care how much the line weighs if UND can consistently run the ball and protect the passer. Last year, they couldn't do either and we saw a measly 3 wins. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, shep said:

7-4 does not make the playoffs.

One may have to accept that playoffs could be a rarity for UND under Bubba. Is that acceptable with UND's administration? Most likely, football is vastly overlooked. When not the DI transition, Mussman, or injuries, one must find another excuse or embrace reality. Interestingly, and simultaneously disappointing, 7-4 without playoffs could be the reality many are content with regardless of excuses.

Bubba has had 4 seasons (fair sample size) and has won 52% of his games (52% won't make postseason). Obviously there will be an additional season (2018) to add to him and his staff's record and I find it to be tremendously important in assessing the current trajectory of UND football. 

8 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Not that there wasn't some decent guys in there, but you can't blame Bubba for not have recruited top OL in that class.

Speaking of, here's an additional excuse (of many) that was recently posted. Man, one can't do wrong at UND unless you've been there for at least 5 years I guess. 

2018 will be a huge season for the direction of UND's football program. 

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

One may have to accept that playoffs could be a rarity for UND under Bubba. Is that acceptable with UND's administration? Most likely, football is vastly overlooked. When not the DI transition, Mussman, or injuries, one must find another excuse or embrace reality. Interestingly, and simultaneously disappointing, 7-4 without playoffs could be the reality many are content with regardless of excuses.

Bubba has had 4 seasons (fair sample size) and has won 52% of his games (52% won't make postseason). Obviously there will be an additional season (2018) to add to him and his staff's record and I find it to be tremendously important in assessing the current trajectory of UND football. 

Not disagreeing with all of your points, but I think you can throw out the first season for the most part. None of his recruits, just starting to install his schemes, etc.

I don't think you can throw out last season, but it was sort of an anomaly in terms of injuries. That being said, it also exposed the lack of depth that Bubba had built.

I do agree that this season is huge in terms of the trajectory of UND Football under Bubba. Repeat of last season, and you need to start looking at your options. Though I expect to see a vast improvement, and some surprises this year. 

I always like Studs, but I think we will see much more complete play at the QB position this season. The size and talent is there at TE (use 'em). We have both size and speed in a nice WR core. RB, 'nuff said. D Line will be solid. LB core will look far better than the depleted group from last season. Corners should be fine, especially with added depth.

My biggest concerns: O-Line (which could be a surprise), Safety, O-Coordinator (So many tools to work with here, use 'em)

https://undfootball360.com/news/what-we-know-heading-into-2018-season/

Someone asked about why the safety from the Netherlands was not on the roster and the 360 guys confirmed he is going through some compliance issues and actually could be a junior. There is also another OL who is not on the roster who will be on the field. Overall good stuff from the 360 guys.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

https://undfootball360.com/news/what-we-know-heading-into-2018-season/

Someone asked about why the safety from the Netherlands was not on the roster and the 360 guys confirmed he is going through some compliance issues and actually could be a junior. There is also another OL who is not on the roster who will be on the field. Overall good stuff from the 360 guys.

Vrede is the linebacker who is listed as a senior.  Two Netherlands guys...haha!

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Not disagreeing with all of your points, but I think you can throw out the first season for the most part. None of his recruits, just starting to install his schemes, etc.

I don't think you can throw out last season, but it was sort of an anomaly in terms of injuries. That being said, it also exposed the lack of depth that Bubba had built.

I do agree that this season is huge in terms of the trajectory of UND Football under Bubba. Repeat of last season, and you need to start looking at your options. Though I expect to see a vast improvement, and some surprises this year. 

I always like Studs, but I think we will see much more complete play at the QB position this season. The size and talent is there at TE (use 'em). We have both size and speed in a nice WR core. RB, 'nuff said. D Line will be solid. LB core will look far better than the depleted group from last season. Corners should be fine, especially with added depth.

My biggest concerns: O-Line (which could be a surprise), Safety, O-Coordinator (So many tools to work with here, use 'em)

Safety is my biggest concern. It doesn't seem like many have talked about it (in comparison to the OL, O Coordinator and LBs)

3 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Wow so Bubba's 3rd year he had us in the playoffs, ahead of most peoples schedule, then we take a step back last year with a rash of injuries (yes it's an excuse but it's also fact I don't need a post from you telling me injuries aren't an excuse) and now we should assume it will be a rarity for UND to ever make the playoffs under Bubba.  Whatever.   We get snubbed from playoffs in his second season, top 8 seed his 3rd year, then don't make the playoffs last year.  If you average the last 3 years not sure how you come up with it will be a rarity UND will make the playoffs under Bubba. Even many NDSU people think we should have made the playoffs that year, so if we didn't get screwed that is 2 of the last 3 years in the playoffs.  I'm sure others on here would agree.....we expect to make the playoffs every year going forward. 

Yeah Bubba should have signed better lineman in that class when 95% of recruits already new where they were going by the time he was hired.  

Fall camp is here, most of us are excited.  Yes we do still have questions and concerns....but can you just stop for a while and let this season playout, or at least start?  Three negative posts from you before noon today already.....we get it.  

Nice rant. Full of excuses as has been par for the course around here. 1st season doesn’t count, shortened recruiting season, snubbed by FCS playoff committee, NDSU fans feel sorry for us, injuries, etc.

UND has won 52% of games in last 4 years; overall not playoff quality. 1 playoff season in 4 total; 25% up to your expectations? [insert excuse here]

My final statement was 2018 will be a huge season for the direction of UND football; as such, as I said, let’s see what happens. Results speak far greater and louder than all this conjecture; all the talk in the world won’t change 52% and 25%. 2018’s results will change those numbers, though. 

If UND does well, there will be praise for the coaches and players (deservedly so). If UND does poorly, there will likely be new excuses. It’s been the pattern thus far. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3