SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Gophers - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

59 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

So much this... you ever notice how the schools that get attacked the most have the most successful programs. You don't hear anyone saying "Man that AIC has some dipshit fans, and don't even get me started on Alabama Huntsville!'

If you hope to please everyone and want everyone to like our fanbase you're going to be pretty miserable. They take shots at 'being obnoxious' because they need to steer the conversation away from anything that has to do with the actual sport at hand, which is hockey. Kinda like when people say 'there's nothing to do in Grand Forks so that's why they have so many fans'. It's just them lashing out because their team isn't nearly as exciting to follow.

I don't lose any sleep hoping everyone likes our fan base.  I swear a lot and am far from a prude, i just don't think any crowd shouting 'F*uck the <fill in the blank>' adds anything to the game but if it makes someone happy then by all means go for it. 

33 minutes ago, NDinCO said:

I don't lose any sleep hoping everyone likes our fan base.  I swear a lot and am far from a prude, i just don't think any crowd shouting 'F*uck the <fill in the blank>' adds anything to the game but if it makes someone happy then by all means go for it. 

I think it does... it adds about 5-7,000 fans screaming in unison at one time during a big game. Keeps the crowd going. Can this be done in other ways? Sure. But this seems effective. 

17 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

So when one Gopher flops on the ice, is he embarrassing himself or his whole team?  

How about one Sioux player dragging an opposing player out if the handshake like to tango? A negative reflection on only him or his whole team?  

A number of years ago at the Final Five, I sat in the same section as a drunk, obnoxious, potty-mouthed UND fan.  After this bozo dropped a stream of f-bombs as a young kid walked by, I walked down to his seat and told him that he was embarrassing every Sioux fan within earshot.  This 20something adult's mommy came sprinting down the steps to tell me to leave her son alone and joined in swearing at me.  Security finally made its way down to chat with the drunken duo and as I walked back to my seat, I was applauded by the fans in the section.  So, I guess we agree to disagree on the effects a single fan or group of fans can have on the whole group.

I vaguely remember that incident happening a few rows away.  I remember the cheers too.  

I once gave a dude $50 to shut his obnoxious mouth at the Final Five.

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

So when one Gopher flops on the ice, is he embarrassing himself or his whole team?  

How about one Sioux player dragging an opposing player out if the handshake like to tango? A negative reflection on only him or his whole team?  

A number of years ago at the Final Five, I sat in the same section as a drunk, obnoxious, potty-mouthed UND fan.  After this bozo dropped a stream of f-bombs as a young kid walked by, I walked down to his seat and told him that he was embarrassing every Sioux fan within earshot.  This 20something adult's mommy came sprinting down the steps to tell me to leave her son alone and joined in swearing at me.  Security finally made its way down to chat with the drunken duo and as I walked back to my seat, I was applauded by the fans in the section.  So, I guess we agree to disagree on the effects a single fan or group of fans can have on the whole group.

Every fanbase has these types of fans. To me, it doesn't embarrass me one bit to see another fan do stupid things. You could have changed that Sioux logo to a M on the front and that wouldn't have surprised me at all. That is on them. I'm embarrassed for them, but I couldn't care less if someone else is going to judge me on the actions of someone else, because that's nonsensical. 

I also see these two situations as non-related. You're speaking of the actions of one obnoxious, drunkard. Not a group of fans uniting in a chant against an opponent. 

2 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

It's like a coffee shop in here full of old bitchy women. Everyone all across the world needs to STOP being so sensitive!

F**CK YOU A$$HOLE!!!!   I guess this is alright then. (ps: just trying to be funny - don't take it personally. I agree this whole chain (that I contributed to) is kinda silly and somewhat pointless)

32 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I also see these two situations as non-related. You're speaking of the actions of one obnoxious, drunkard. Not a group of fans uniting in a chant against an opponent. 

So because a bigger group is doing it, that makes it better? Think about the fact that some of the largest crowd involvement during a game comes from the following:

• Fans chanting an explicit, which would probably be a little more passable if it was coming from just the student section, but it's not even close to being the case
  • Chanting a nickname that was retired 5 years ago is not being let go
  • Booing the nickname of the school

There used to be (and still is) some pretty good ones that come out of the student section but it is nowhere near as creative as it used to be. I can think of a lot better crowd involvement cheers that I'd rather UND be known for. Except for the wave. The wave is the worst.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, NDinCO said:

F**CK YOU A$$HOLE!!!!   I guess this is alright then. (ps: just trying to be funny - don't take it personally. I agree this whole chain (that I contributed to) is kinda silly and somewhat pointless)

So you think that you specifically degrading me is the same as a student section going after an old nasty rival? I can't believe I have to point this out to anyone. I thought college made people smarter....:blink:

19 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

So because a bigger group is doing it, that makes it better? Think about the fact that some of the largest crowd involvement during a game comes from the following:

• Fans chanting an explicit, which would probably be a little more passable if it was coming from just the student section, but it's not even close to being the case
  • Chanting a nickname that was retired 5 years ago is not being let go
  • Booing the nickname of the school

There used to be (and still is) some pretty good ones that come out of the student section but it is nowhere near as creative as it used to be. I can think of a lot better crowd involvement cheers that I'd rather UND be known for. Except for the wave. The wave is the worst.

THE WAVE CAN BURN AND BURN FOR ETERNITY.

I get your point, I really do. I also get Mafia's point. I just don't get offended by the actions of others very often and if someone wants to judge me for the actions of others, so be it.

1 hour ago, Boogieman said:

Not that I can recall.  And I've been in 306, just a section over from the students, since the building opened.

The students gave it a go back when the Ralph opened and the whole standing vs sitting thing was going down. 

UND President wrote a letter to all students in the Dakota Student telling them swearing reflects poorly on the university.

They also tried to leave out sh!t of, ”who's he? He sucks.” But it just didn't have the same punch! :)

5 hours ago, bigskyvikes said:

So you think that you specifically degrading me is the same as a student section going after an old nasty rival? I can't believe I have to point this out to anyone. I thought college made people smarter....:blink:

Being a little sensitive aren't you? What part of 'just trying to be funny - don't take it personally' don't you understand?  I thought college made people smarter....:blink: