SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to Summit/MVFC

UND92,96

2 hours ago, Tolna said:

Another small recruiting tidbit, now that UND is joining the MVFC is their contract with ESPN. Every game is on ESPN3, makes it easy for parents to watch their son play. Also very nice for fans. 

Actually this is not good for all fans, with CenturyLink I can't get ESPN3 with any of their packages.....and I live in AZ so I won't be able to watch any of their games unless I change providers. With watchbigsky.Com I can watch all the games and I don't have to worry if I am somewhere else....all I need is an Internet connection to watch the game.  The viewing option actually gets more difficult for some. I'm glad it's a few years away.....I've got plenty of time to change providers. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Actually this is not good for all fans, with CenturyLink I can't get ESPN3 with any of their packages.....and I live in AZ so I won't be able to watch any of their games unless I change providers. With watchbigsky.Com I can watch all the games and I don't have to worry if I am somewhere else....all I need is an Internet connection to watch the game.  The viewing option actually gets more difficult for some. I'm glad it's a few years away.....I've got plenty of time to change providers. 

It might also be more accessible by then.  

14 hours ago, darell1976 said:

So when 2020 comes around and we play NDSU every year do we get a new trophy to play for or brush the dust off of the nickel? I know it's got an Indian side of it but it is a "historical" coin.

Probably won't be the Nickel, but deffinitely need to play for something.  Just as long as it is not something as dumb as the Dakota Marker!!! 

Faison had better be working on some attractive road game destinations for 2020 and beyond, because Macomb is Greeley minus the mountain scenery and San Luis Obispo and Davis, CA, have bowel movements that look like Cedar Falls. 

Yeah, that's a bit harsh, but have you seen Cedar Falls? I'm sorry, but just as a travel destination there is no comparison. Don't try. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

You can purchase watchESPN and have it on any of your devices. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Faison had better be working on some attractive road game destinations for 2020 and beyond, because Macomb is Greeley minus the mountain scenery and San Luis Obispo and Davis, CA, have bowel movements that look like Cedar Falls. 

Yeah, that's a bit harsh, but have you seen Cedar Falls? I'm sorry, but just as a travel destination there is no comparison. Don't try. 

I agree on the OOC games but I live in the Twin Cities and if my kid was being recruited I would rather know that I could easily drive to about half of the away games every year.  To me that would be an important factor and I am sure it is for many players and their parents.  I am guessing the new conference will be as much a positive for some as a negative for others considering our main recruiting areas.

6 hours ago, nodak651 said:

It might also be more accessible by then.  

This was one of the first things that came to mind when the conference move was announced.  The WatchBigSky app/Eversport is a great benefit for those of us who can't travel.  I hope Faison and Co. can have some discussions about a similar option with the new conferences.  I know a lot more games will be picked up by Midco now, but once you head east, not so much.

3 minutes ago, MadScout03 said:

This was one of the first things that came to mind when the conference move was announced.  The WatchBigSky app/Eversport is a great benefit for those of us who can't travel.  I hope Faison and Co. can have some discussions about a similar option with the new conferences.  I know a lot more games will be picked up by Midco now, but once you head east, not so much.

I was immediately pumped about the ESPN coverage. So much more enjoyable to watch through the Roku than through Eversports. Whenever Eversports is good, its good. When it is bad, its awful.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

The Dakota Marker is actually a pretty solid trophy I think.  Historical significance marking the boundary between the two states.  I would be open to ideas anyone else has on coming up with a better one. 

I agree, it's not a bad trophy.  Rivalry trophies are not as much about the actual trophy, as much as the significance of the rivalry itself.  An old brown jug and a pig could be considered dumb too if you just look at the actual trophies.  But when you take the history into account, they are among the best rivalry trophies out there.  Whatever the UND-NDSU trophy ends up being, it may seem dumb at first.  But after each team wins it a couple times, and a few close games, it will definitely mean something.

I would also like to see UND resume a rivalry trophy with USD.  Sitting Bull is obviously out in our P.C. environment, so we'll need a new one for that rivalry too. 

28 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

I'm up for reviving the Nickel Trophy.  I doubt the NCAA would care that much, it's an historical item.  

Bring it out of retirement.  Renew the series.  

I don't think the Nickel is an historical item in the same way as team pictures, and other things that can't be changed.  It is, for instance, impossible to put the members of a championship team into new uniforms and take pictures.  You have to show them in the Sioux uniforms or lose part of your history,  However, you couldn't get by wearing old uniforms with the Sioux logo by claiming that they're "historical items." It's just as easy to adopt a new travelling trophy as it is to change uniforms.

1 hour ago, JohnboyND7 said:

The Dakota Marker is actually a pretty solid trophy I think.  Historical significance marking the boundary between the two states.  I would be open to ideas anyone else has on coming up with a better one. 

Its not bad trophy, I'm just not a huge fan. As MKSioux stated, its really just about the significance of the win. The trophy becomes cool over times, because of how is signifies the rivalry. Part of why I say, stick with historical significance and continue using The Nickel. Brings some flare back to the rivalry. Those of us who saw the Nickel won will enjoy it (granted my first game watching the rivalry was actually the last one played in 2003). Really can't see an NCAA issue in using The Nickel.

No way the PCers in charge at either school would allow the original nickle to be resurrected. Plus you can bet there would be "outrage" and peace walks against it. They can certainly create another nickle with an eagle on one side and a thundering turd on the other. But I suppose even that might hurt someone's feelings.

I think they should come up with something but display the nickle at the state museum in Bismarck...Sioux side out.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

No way the PCers in charge at either school would allow the original nickle to be resurrected. Plus you can bet there would be "outrage" and peace walks against it. They can certainly create another nickle with an eagle on one side and a thundering turd on the other. But I suppose even that might hurt someone's feelings.

I think they should come up with something but display the nickle at the state museum in Bismarck...Sioux side out.  

Put it in a glass case in the middle of a room...both sides out.