SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to Summit/MVFC

UND92,96

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Folks, the Nickle Trophy is dead because it has "that image" on one side. Nothing more. 

Possibly. I'm sure the schools will discuss it. That is a replica of a US coin. Hardly controversial, especially now that UND has changed names and logos. 

Personally, I'd rather lose it to NDSU than see it retired. Though, I'm sure they will come up with some sort of dumb POS trophy.

18 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Possibly. I'm sure the schools will discuss it. That is a replica of a US coin. Hardly controversial, especially now that UND has changed names and logos. 

Personally, I'd rather lose it to NDSU than see it retired. Though, I'm sure they will come up with some sort of dumb POS trophy.

Like the Cy-Hawk trophy that was so bad, it was scrapped?

8 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

Why not? 

You don't want a new trophy or are you unwilling to give up possession of the old trophy? I would remind you that NDSU is not a party to UND's agreement with the NCAA.

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

The nickel belongs to the winner.

Absolutely. I would rather see NDSU win it, than retire it.

1 hour ago, siouxfanofcourse said:

i think it's cool to have possession of the nickel trophy here in Grand Forks. However, no one really sees it much. I work on campus and I don't even recall running across it anywhere. Just my personal opinion; but I would like to see it retired and brought out to the state capitol in Bismarck and put on display there. It could include information about the series as well as all the scores. Then it could be shared with many people all across the state.

Or how about in the Alerus Center, along with the Sitting Bull Trophy and the 2001 NCAA National Title trophy. Alerus is the home of UND football, lets see more than just banners from the ceiling. Lets see the hardware. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

The nickle is only on the line for conference games. Same as it was back in th day. When we played in the playoffs it was never on the line.

Hmm, I thought it was regular season games. In any case, there will be a conference game in 2020. Bring it.

9 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

The nickle is only on the line for conference games. Same as it was back in th day. When we played in the playoffs it was never on the line.

Wikipedia (not the best source obviously) doesn't mention conference games,  just says it is determined by regular season games.

5 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

Hmm, I thought it was regular season games. In any case, there will be a conference game in 2020. Bring it.

Trophies get retired all the time. Our Sitting Bull trophy with South Dakota has been retired for quite sometime, and they didn't bitch about it when we moved to the Great West, or last season when we played them. I am sure a new trophy will be thought of before 2020. Doesn't matter anyways its not like you are going to be in possession of that one either. ;)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, darell1976 said:

Trophies get retired all the time. Our Sitting Bull trophy with South Dakota has been retired for quite sometime, and they didn't bitch about it when we moved to the Great West, or last season when we played them. I am sure a new trophy will be thought of before 2020. Doesn't matter anyways its not like you are going to be in possession of that one either. ;)

UND can't unilaterally decide to keep the trophy. It's not theirs to keep.

• Downvote 1

To paraphrase the Trumpster "Only the trolls care" about the location of the Nickle.  I absolutely guarantee the Nickle Trophy as it exists now will not be a part of the new rivalry. I'm also pretty sure the only way the Nickle leaves UND is if someone at the state historical society or within the state goverment makes a request for it to be donated to them.  Then SU can send their homecoming royalty to Bismarck to try and recover it - since no one in this generation of SU students has seen it in person.