SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to Summit/MVFC

UND92,96

25 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

To paraphrase the Trumpster "Only the trolls care" about the location of the Nickle.  I absolutely guarantee the Nickle Trophy as it exists now will not be a part of the new rivalry. I'm also pretty sure the only way the Nickle leaves UND is if someone at the state historical society or within the state goverment makes a request for it to be donated to them.  Then SU can send their homecoming royalty to Bismarck to try and recover it - since no one in this generation of SU students has seen it in person. 

A couple of  "Fate of the Nickel Trophy" articles in the Forum and the Herald might raise the heat on UND officials enough to require some action. Hiding the trophy is the worst possible outcome. The people of North Dakota deserve better.  

35 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

UND can't unilaterally decide to keep the trophy. It's not theirs to keep.

I feel the same way about Sitting Bull and you are wrong in that USD people aren't interested in getting that back.  That trophy belongs to USD as much as UND.  Just because you ended up with it last doesn't mean it is yours to keep.  It belongs somewhere neutral on display if it is not going to be played for, same as the Nickel. 

This is akin to taking your ball and going home so nobody else can have it.

14 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

I feel the same way about Sitting Bull and you are wrong in that USD people aren't interested in getting that back.  That trophy belongs to USD as much as UND.  Just because you ended up with it last doesn't mean it is yours to keep.  It belongs somewhere neutral on display if it is not going to be played for, same as the Nickel. 

Hiding these trophys doesn't do any good. 

Playing for them adds a lot of conversation and excitement with the fans, and then there's that chance of getting it back before the next game. The press loves it.

20 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

It's a little more difficult with an interstate rivalry. There really aren't any neutral locations in either state. But the same logic applies, It isn't UND's to keep.

Show some class UND. If it can't be played for anymore, figure out a reasonable way the people of the state can see the trophy and learn about its significance from both sides. That can't happen in a closet somewhere on campus, or permanently on display in the Alerus.

• Downvote 1

I'm sure with both NDSU and USD, what to do with the old trophies will be an item of discussion when the schools are discussing a new trophy.  I don't see anything wrong with displaying them at a neutral location.  That should be easy enough with the Nickel. With Sitting Bull, it's a little more complicated, but maybe it could alternate between the two states or something (but is there is enough interest in Sitting Bull to maintain an alternating schedule?).  

9 minutes ago, mksioux said:

I'm sure with both NDSU and USD, what to do with the old trophies will be an item of discussion when the schools are discussing a new trophy.  I don't see anything wrong with displaying them at a neutral location.  That should be easy enough with the Nickel. With Sitting Bull, it's a little more complicated, but maybe it could alternate between the two states or something (but is there is enough interest in Sitting Bull to maintain an alternating schedule?).  

The Nickel trophy really is a valuable artifact. Image how much money it might bring it were to be sold at a public auction. Not that it ever would be.

9 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

in all seriousness who will the summit replace uipuo and uipfw with when they leave soon?  mankato, st cloud, duluth, grand valley, northern colorado (if so denver leaves again)?

The remaining WAC schools, of course.  Then we will use the WAC name to move up to FBS.  :tinfoilhat:

• Upvote 1

As the Alerus was being built, in a picture in the Herald of The Nickel, it showed it with the beams of the Alerius in the background. That showed location and time, clever idea. It was brought to Roger Thomas before the game on that Sat. at Memorial Field. That process of recovering it and bring to game day happened many times by both schools and never was it defaced or hurt, that should tell your something. If we can politically bring it back, then we do. Maybe we ask premission from Standing Rock and Spirit Lake for both trophies to be brought back. The hell with the NCAA, it an't worth talking to them, they are more arrogant than any fan in the Dakotas.

7 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

As the Alerus was being built, in a picture in the Herald of The Nickel, it showed it with the beams of the Alerius in the background. That showed location and time, clever idea. It was brought to Roger Thomas before the game on that Sat. at Memorial Field. That process of recovering it and bring to game day happened many times by both schools and never was it defaced or hurt, that should tell your something. If we can politically bring it back, then we do. Maybe we ask premission from Standing Rock and Spirit Lake for both trophies to be brought back. The hell with the NCAA, it an't worth talking to them, they are more arrogant than any fan in the Dakotas.

There will be zero appetite from the administrators from either school to bring back the Nickel.  Gone are the days of fighting with the NCAA.  Gone are the days of going to Standing Rock and Spirit Lake and asking for permission for anything.   Those days are gone and they're not coming back.   Neither side wants anything to do with re-visiting that controversy in any way, shape, or form.  There will be a new trophy.

14 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Given whats on their plate out there, I wouldn't ask Standing Rock for anything.