SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to Summit/MVFC

UND92,96

17 hours ago, darell1976 said:

So when 2020 comes around and we play NDSU every year do we get a new trophy to play for or brush the dust off of the nickel? I know it's got an Indian side of it but it is a "historical" coin.

i think it's cool to have possession of the nickel trophy here in Grand Forks. However, no one really sees it much. I work on campus and I don't even recall running across it anywhere. Just my personal opinion; but I would like to see it retired and brought out to the state capitol in Bismarck and put on display there. It could include information about the series as well as all the scores. Then it could be shared with many people all across the state.

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

So how about a giant coin with our new logos on it? Call it the toonie?

I don't see why we couldn't have a new Nickel as you suggest (strike the Canadian reference, of course). The significance of the old trophy has faded anyway. It's been almost eighty years since the Buffalo Nickel was withdrawn from circulation. Very few people have ever seen one, at least not in circulation.

2 minutes ago, siouxfanofcourse said:

i think it's cool to have possession of the nickel trophy here in Grand Forks. However, no one really sees it much. I work on campus and I don't even recall running across it anywhere. Just my personal opinion; but I would like to see it retired and brought out to the state capitol in Bismarck and put on display there. It could include information about the series as well as all the scores. Then it could be shared with many people all across the state.

Possession of the Nickel is predicated on making it available for the other team to win the next time the teams play. I'll accept that it only applies to an annual game as an excuse for why it wasn't in the FargoDome in 2015.  But, now that there will be an annual game bring it to the game, donate it to the State Historical Society, or lose your rights to it.

13 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

Possession of the Nickel is predicated on making it available for the other team to win the next time the teams play. I'll accept that it only applies to an annual game as an excuse for why it wasn't in the FargoDome in 2015.  But, now that there will be an annual game bring it to the game, donate it to the State Historical Society, or lose your rights to it.

There isn't anything that would be better, bring it out of mothballs, let the games begin! That in itself would help us re-unite, and the press always loved that traveling trophy, "The Nickle". What about all the people that had their hands on it, that's a deal maker right there.

9 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

There isn't anything that would be better, bring it out of mothballs, let the games begin! That in itself would help us re-unite, and the press always loved that traveling trophy, "The Nickle". What about all the people that had their hands on it, that's a deal maker right there.

I think there should be a ceremony at halftime of the next game to officially retire the Nickel Trophy and inaugurate a new trophy. Officials of the State Historical Society could be on hand to receive the old trophy for display in Bismarck. Generations of Bison and Sioux players deserve that.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gothmog said:

I think there should be a ceremony at halftime of the next game to officially retire the Nickel Trophy and inaugurate a new trophy. Officials of the State Historical Society could be on hand to receive the old trophy for display in Bismarck. Generations of Bison and Sioux players deserve that.

Nope

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

I don't think the Historical Society would understand enough as how to secure it properly, someone would steal it. The only safe place is play for it, because that way if it gets stole, it'll always show up, history has proven that. I've had my hands on it a few times. They say you never forget how, once you milked a cow.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Whoever wins gets Hillsboro for the year (the residents of Hillsboro have no say in the matter).

I was going to suggest they play for a replica of that old barn along I-29 in the Hillsboro area, that was always tagged with anti-ndsu and anti-UND graffiti back in the late 90's.  But, a rickety old barn fits in so much better on the Ag College campus than it does on the UND campus.  ;)

http://www.inforum.com/content/taking-out-trash-0

EDIT: didn't see Siouxperfan7's post above mine. Great minds think alike I guess :lol:

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Westside said:

I was going to suggest they play for a replica of that old barn along I-29 in the Hillsboro area, that was always tagged with anti-ndsu and anti-UND graffiti back in the late 90's.  But, a rickety old barn fits in so much better on the Ag College campus than it does on the UND campus.  ;)

http://www.inforum.com/content/taking-out-trash-0

plus, they've already got Minard Hall.