SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to Summit/MVFC

UND92,96

7 minutes ago, jacksfan29 said:

SDSU beat 2. One is the #1 seed who we beat on the road and the other was rated just outside the top 10 all year. We laid an egg against Cal Poly and it is hard as hell to get through the MVFC without a loss. But hey, your killer schedule has been noted. Where did USD finish in the MVFC? Just about where UND would have finished.

This is why I really wanted UND to be in the same POD as SDSU and NDSU. That said, I've heard Richmond may be getting their #2 QB back. If that happens I'm not sure UND gets a trip to Cheney.

Hard as hell to go undefeated in the Big Sky as well. I don't think anybody is saying the su's aren't great teams but why do some have to come here and say UND isn't good???

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

No, it doesn't, but the point was that your record doesn't always say much about you.

BTW - Sagarin is not about rewarding anyone for winning games. It's about finding an unbiased way of rating teams across varying schedules. IMO, people have a hard time with the idea that ratings are not really about "rewarding" teams.

Saragin is biased.  It is an outlier ranking system.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, jacksfan29 said:

SDSU beat 2. One is the #1 seed who we beat on the road and the other was rated just outside the top 10 all year. We laid an egg against Cal Poly and it is hard as hell to get through the MVFC without a loss. But hey, your killer schedule has been noted. Where did USD finish in the MVFC? Just about where UND would have finished.

This is why I really wanted UND to be in the same POD as SDSU and NDSU. That said, I've heard Richmond may be getting their #2 QB back. If that happens I'm not sure UND gets a trip to Cheney.

Half the teams in the MVFC finished below .500.  

Based on your logic I think SDSU would have finished about where Cal Poly finished in the Big Sky?   

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CMSioux said:

You're joking right - look at the past 5 years and how easy it has been for SU to make the NCAA tourny in a variety of sports because of weak competition within the conference. Also there were several teams the football team played this year that were ranked when we played them - we beat them and they moved down out of the rankings - cause/effect. 

What sports are getting these easy post season trips?

The softball team is pretty good I think,  the football and basketball teams are also pretty good. I would not know about any of the other teams really. 

4 hours ago, Gothmog said:

OK, let's say that a team had a incredible string of injuries to start the year and ran up an 0-6 record to start the year. But, when those players came back in week 7 they turned things around and finished 5-6, including wins against several ranked teams. What does their 5-6 record say about them? 

It says they didn't have enough depth to handle the injuries they had and it's too bad they lost those first 6 games.  If they had won two of them they would have deserved to be in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

It says they didn't have enough depth to handle the injuries they had and it's too bad they lost those first 6 games.  If they had won two of them they would have deserved to be in the playoffs.

I agree with this a lot. Exactly zero people cared that our bad losses last year were without out qb and stud safety. You want the best and most talented teams in there, but the team  (replacements included) has to earn it. You don't get to live on hype .

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Anyone else think it's weird that all we've ever heard from the bizun bros during our D1 transition is there's no such thing as a moral victory, but then they put on their MVFC bro hats and are trying to tell us a 5-6 team is really good because they were close in their 6 FCS losses?

The selection committee started the good loss bad loss BS last year so its now unfortunately  part of the conversation.

4 hours ago, jacksfan29 said:

But hey, your killer schedule has been noted. Where did USD finish in the MVFC? Just about where UND would have finished.

USD finished just one game back of UNI in the standings. And UNI is apparently awesome, of course according to Sagarin and every fan of a Valley school.............

And I think those pesky Yotes beat that vaunted UNI team this year too.......and maybe ISUr? 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, dakotadan said:

Geography absolutely counts. And it is pretty remarkable how well the geography of the Big Sky mirrors many of the primary locations that large groups of UND alumni are found. As our teams, especially football, continue to establish themselves as title contenders in the Big Sky and are making the national tournaments, the Alumni Association and Foundation is going to love being able to have fundraisers and host tailgating parties in places such as Arizona, Colorado, Oregon, Washington and California. 

I really don't think we are going to realize all of the potential benefits of the Big Sky until some time has gone by. Once we have established ourselves in the conference and had time to grow into a full Division I university and fanbase, at that point I think the benefits of being in the Big Sky will really become apparent. 

Amen, brother!  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dakotadan said:

Geography absolutely counts. And it is pretty remarkable how well the geography of the Big Sky mirrors many of the primary locations that large groups of UND alumni are found. As our teams, especially football, continue to establish themselves as title contenders in the Big Sky and are making the national tournaments, the Alumni Association and Foundation is going to love being able to have fundraisers and host tailgating parties in places such as Arizona, Colorado, Oregon, Washington and California. 

I really don't think we are going to realize all of the potential benefits of the Big Sky until some time has gone by. Once we have established ourselves in the conference and had time to grow into a full Division I university and fanbase, at that point I think the benefits of being in the Big Sky will really become apparent. 

Well said

11 hours ago, dakotadan said:

The Big Sky is growing on me but one counterpoint.  I would guess our biggest alumni base outside of GF is in the Twin Cities.   The Summit and MVFC make a lot more games accessible to those people.  NDSU, SDSU, USD and UNI are all within 4 hours of the TC as is Sioux Falls for the Summit post season bb tourney.  

There are no schools in the Big Sky that are within driving distance of the TC.   

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Siouxperman8 said:

The Big Sky is growing on me but one counterpoint.  I would guess our biggest alumni base outside of GF is in the Twin Cities.   The Summit and MVFC make a lot more games accessible to those people.  NDSU, SDSU, USD and UNI are all within 4 hours of the TC as is Sioux Falls for the Summit post season bb tourney.  

There are no schools in the Big Sky that are within driving distance of the TC.   

Do many alumni from the cities drive to GF for games?

30 minutes ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

Hockey covers the cities and points to the east of Grand Forks.  Football should cover the west.

I am a hockey fan too but that does nothing for me as a football fan living in MN.  I would guess that a majority of our football players in the past 40 years came from MN and points east of GF also. 

Hockey fans in Colorado get a lot of exposure to UND hockey game locally.

11 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

up to faison...move to slummit/midcon

up to kennedy...stay in BSC...

we know who wears the pants around here (faison just wears them a little higher than normal)

At this stage BF should be only seen........not heard!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Good.  I just don't know of anybody that does.  I sure some do and glad you and your family does. 

My wife and I also traveled to Stony Brook for the game and plan to go to SUU next year.

I have always been disappointed at the lack of attendance/support by former players from the 80s and 90s.  I just don't see them involved much other than maybe one game a year and the letterwinner golf event in the Twin Cities.   I see a lot more former players from the 60s and 70s at games.

I live in Williston.  season tickets.  I made it to all Montana and state games last 4 years except this year I had to work.  Made it to NAU 3 years ago in flagstaff.  Wyoming game.  I also plan to be in Utah if possible.  Missed both N Colo games in Greeley because of family conflicts.

• Upvote 2