SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to Summit/MVFC

UND92,96

30 minutes ago, homer said:

We nearly doubled their playoff attendance on Saturday.  Can't really spin that.  

There is some doubt about that attendance number, apparently the scanners weren't working properly.

But, I guess they can't handle the cold down south.

18 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

There is some doubt about that attendance number, apparently the scanners weren't working properly.

But, I guess they can't handle the cold down south.

I saw that.  The speculation is by fans on their fan site.  Others also complain about the poor attendance   

I will go off what their associate AD is reporting since they choose not to list it elsewhere.  I am sure it is under reported but usually that is by a thousand or so (give or take).  That seems to be what schools are doing. 

4 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

As the game was going on, their writer from the Argus Leader guessed it was well below 8,000.  So that number is probably pretty close.  

Well, there are reasons that all the other FCS schools in the Dakotas have indoor stadiums. Playoff attendance is at the top of that list.

1 hour ago, Gothmog said:

Well, there are reasons that all the other FCS schools in the Dakotas have indoor stadiums. Playoff attendance is at the top of that list.

But I thought SDSU football generated more interest than UND and it wasn't even close.  

Pretty important game to just not have half (or more) of the usual people show up.  

Cripes, UND had 9,000+ in NYC at the same time.  

28 minutes ago, homer said:

But I thought SDSU football generated more interest than UND and it wasn't even close.  

Pretty important game to just not have half (or more) of the usual people show up.  

Cripes, UND had 9,000+ in NYC at the same time.  

9,000+? Do you have a link for that? Official attendance ws just over 11,000. Are you saying that there were only 2,000 BC and other fans there?

1 minute ago, Gothmog said:

9,000+? Do you have a link for that?

Same site that informed us there were 30,000 NDSU fans at Metrodome vs. Gophers.  

Oh wait, here:  Schossman:   "If I had to guess, I would say that about 8,000 of the 11,348 were UND fans. I'm not the best at estimating numbers like that."

So not 9,000.  Only 8,000.  

23 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Same site that informed us there were 30,000 NDSU fans at Metrodome vs. Gophers.  

Oh wait, here:  Schossman:   "If I had to guess, I would say that about 8,000 of the 11,348 were UND fans. I'm not the best at estimating numbers like that."

So not 9,000.  Only 8,000.  

Estimates of attendance at road games are almost always wildly exaggerated. It's human nature to do so.

I wasn't in NYC this weekend, but I'd say it's very likely that 9,000 or even 8,000 out of 11K is a wild overestimate. Not sure which game at the Metrodome you're referring to, but I was at all of them, and I'm absolutely sure that weren't nearly 30K Bison fans there at any of them.

• Downvote 1

50 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

9,000+? Do you have a link for that? Official attendance ws just over 11,000. Are you saying that there were only 2,000 BC and other fans there?

No link.  I was averaging the link posted above and the over exaggeration of KFGO  this morning stating it was 90% Hawk fans.   Official attendance was 11,348 so that put it slightly over 10,000.  

10 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

BC fans don't travel well.
To them, having to play in a regional in Providence or Manchester is having to go way, way west. 

I'll honestly believe 2/3 of the attendance was UND fans.

I would be very surprised is that was true, but as I said, I wasn't there.  They can't ever be verified, so these things become urban legends very quickly.

5 hours ago, homer said:

6,154 is what is being reported by their Associate AD- Tyler Merriman on his twitter feed.  

On TV the crowd on both sides of the field was small and they looked cold, 6,154 sounds a little inflated.  When I switched to the Bison game, it was snowing pretty good in Brookings.

4 minutes ago, Air Force One said:

On TV the crowd on both sides of the field was small and they looked cold, 6,154 sounds a little inflated.  When I switched to the Bison game, it was snowing pretty good in Brookings.

Looked about right to me,  endzone had a decent chunk.  

Remember,  it's a pretty big place. People in suites too I'd guess?

2 hours ago, Gothmog said:

Estimates of attendance at road games are almost always wildly exaggerated. It's human nature to do so.

I wasn't in NYC this weekend, but I'd say it's very likely that 9,000 or even 8,000 out of 11K is a wild overestimate. Not sure which game at the Metrodome you're referring to, but I was at all of them, and I'm absolutely sure that weren't nearly 30K Bison fans there at any of them.

There was easily 8000 Sioux fans, probably closer to 9000.  Walking the concourse it looked like a home game at the Ralph.  The only way there were fewer than 8000 Sioux fans was if some BC fans decided to wear Sioux jerseys. 

20 minutes ago, rochsioux said:

There was easily 8000 Sioux fans, probably closer to 9000.  Walking the concourse it looked like a home game at the Ralph.  The only way there were fewer than 8000 Sioux fans was if some BC fans decided to wear Sioux jerseys. 

Again, I wasn't there. My experience is that such estimates are usually exaggerated.

2 hours ago, Gothmog said:

Again, I wasn't there. My experience is that such estimates are usually exaggerated.

Well to trying and compare attendance between games being played in a dome against a game being played outside during a snow storm and cold temps is a stretch in itself. Then throwing in a hockey game to boot is---well---amusing.:D

There must've been "a few" UND fans there. 

The BC Heights acknowledged "the large contingent from Grand Forks, N.D. screamed louder than hustle and bustle of even New York City." 
http://bcheights.com/sports/hockey/mens-hockey/2016/north-dakota-bc-college-hockey-showdown/

BC doesn't acknowledge anybody does anything better than them. :D

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Well to trying and compare attendance between games being played in a dome against a game being played outside during a snow storm and cold temps is a stretch in itself. Then throwing in a hockey game to boot is---well---amusing.:D

Yes.  Move those goal posts.  Very--well--amusing. 

Continue to try and downplay everything UND football. 

55 minutes ago, homer said:

Yes.  Move those goal posts.  Very--well--amusing. 

Continue to try and downplay everything UND football. 

Honestly, what do you think the attendance at UND's playoff game this weekend would have been had it been played outdoors in bad weather? We do know that SDSU attracted 5,000+ more fans than UND during the regular season, that is an apples to apples comparison.

6 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

Honestly, what do you think the attendance at UND's playoff game this weekend would have been had it been played outdoors in bad weather? We do know that SDSU attracted 5,000+ more fans than UND during the regular season, that is an apples to apples comparison.

Maybe 3500