SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to Summit/MVFC

UND92,96

3 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

SDSU took a huge risk in telling the MVFC: "If you don't take NDSU, you won't get us."  

NDSU owes SDSU big time for that, otherwise you would have been a wandering independent.

Agreed, but that has nothing to do with NDSU scheduling UND.

2 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

Right. that would require doing something that is in the best interests of the state and not just themselves, something NDSU and Fargo have shown little willingness to do.

Again, that's probably hypocrisy on your part. If you're going to criticize NDSU for not putting the State's interests before its own now (an argument I personally think is ridiculous), what did you have to say when UND did the same thing 12-13 years ago?  

2 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

Right. that would require doing something that is in the best interests of the state and not just themselves, something NDSU and Fargo have shown little willingness to do.

If UND was all about doing whats best for the state, why did they quit playing NDSU in all sports?  Something about....doing what was best for them?  

lol (drops mic)

1 hour ago, JohnboyND7 said:

If UND was all about doing whats best for the state, why did they quit playing NDSU in all sports?  Something about....doing what was best for them?  

lol (drops mic)

Maybe cause the level playing field wasn't level. NDSU had more scholarships than UND did. Plus at least in football you got punished come playoff time for playing an FCS team. Of course NDSU didn't care they were playoff eligible until 2008.

5 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Maybe cause the level playing field wasn't level. NDSU had more scholarships than UND did. Plus at least in football you got punished come playoff time for playing an FCS team. Of course NDSU didn't care they were playoff eligible until 2008.

Now you're just giving possible reasons why UND thought it wasn't in its best interest to schedule NDSU back then. Which, of course, completely fails to even consider the state's best interests, whatever they may have been.

• Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I thought we are all about doing what is best for the state?  Not the institution?  

5 minutes ago, homer said:

After the last couple weeks, why would the AD and President still be considering this?  Fans have been the entire transition plus a few for success like this. 

If you're referring to UND probably making the playoffs, your standards of "success" are very modest.

7 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

SDSU took a huge risk in telling the MVFC: "If you don't take NDSU, you won't get us."  

NDSU owes SDSU big time for that, otherwise you would have been a wandering independent.

Yes, it is clear that NDSU's rivalry with SDSU is much better, much more constructive, more mutually beneficial than its rivalry with UND ever was. SDSU going to bat for NDSU when it needed it is a great example of that.

4 hours ago, Gothmog said:

If you're referring to UND probably making the playoffs, your standards of "success" are very modest.

Despite what FU fans think there is more than football in an athletic dept   I was actually referring to our volleyball team winning the postseason tournament yesterday as well  

You can't win anything more if your sitting at home when the playoffs start so yeah, waiting to hear your name called on the selection show is a success  

We have been close in some sports the last few years but seem to be off to a good start this year with two conference championships and two post season appearances this fall. 

2 hours ago, homer said:

Despite what FU fans think there is more than football in an athletic dept   I was actually referring to our volleyball team winning the postseason tournament yesterday as well  

You can't win anything more if your sitting at home when the playoffs start so yeah, waiting to hear your name called on the selection show is a success  

We have been close in some sports the last few years but seem to be off to a good start this year with two conference championships and two post season appearances this fall. 

Hmm, I wasn't aware that UND was thinking of leaving the Big Sky because it thought its teams would be more successful on the field in a different conference, as your posts imply. To my knowledge, no one has even suggested that UND move to an "easier" conference. I would hope that merely qualifying for the playoffs would not be enough to affect your president and AD's decision-making process.

19 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

Hmm, I wasn't aware that UND was thinking of leaving the Big Sky because it thought its teams would be more successful on the field in a different conference, as your posts imply. To my knowledge, no one has even suggested that UND move to an "easier" conference. I would hope that merely qualifying for the playoffs would not be enough the affect your president and AD's decision-making process.

Why make a lateral (depends on opinion) move when you are just starting to build momentum in your athletic dept. and your current conference   

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, homer said:

Why make a lateral (depends on opinion) move when you are just starting to build momentum in your athletic dept. and your current conference   

As I understand it, money and fan interest are the primary factors driving the review process. UND winning a couple conference championships doesn't make the Big Sky schools any closer to Grand Forks.

3 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

As I understand it, money and fan interest are the primary factors driving the review process. UND winning a couple conference championships doesn't make the Big Sky schools any closer to Grand Forks.

I'm guessing conference titles have helped with fan interest.  

Tom Miller had a recent article regarding travel costs.  

The best thing UND could have done to save money was cut programs.  

It impressive to have this success with 21 programs and supporting women's teams as well

• Upvote 3

On 11/20/2016 at 1:34 AM, Gothmog said:

maxresdefault.jpg

2016 Volleyball: Regular season and Tournament champions; off to the NCAAs next. 

0b52dxj0kvwfrmnvquguta2pwsza.jpg?itok=Sx

2016 Big Sky regular season co-champions; NCAA FCS playoff #7 seed

Oh and then there's that minor detail of being the reigning NCAA National Champion in men's ice hockey ... 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Gothmog said:

Geography doesn't change; but, as already shown by various media outlets, travels costs are basically the same whether UND would be in the Big Sky or some other league. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Geography doesn't change; but, as already shown by various media outlets, travels costs are basically the same whether UND would be in the Big Sky or some other league. 

Geography doesn't count? Travel costs are only a one part of why geography is important. Scheduling teams your fans and recruits actually give a damn about is even more important.

• Downvote 1