SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to Summit/MVFC

UND92,96

39 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Good.  I just don't know of anybody that does.  I sure some do and glad you and your family does. 

I try to get up for one game a year from down here, and this will be my third this year.  For NAU I left at 6am on Saturday and came home after the game - thinking I will do that a couple times a year going forward so should be able to make 2-3 games a year.

Edit:  my wife doesn't care for football and doesn't like me spending too much money on it, otherwise I would probably have season tickets and make at least one out of town game a year as well.  Have to pick my battles :) 

26 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

My wife and I also traveled to Stony Brook for the game and plan to go to SUU next year.

I have always been disappointed at the lack of attendance/support by former players from the 80s and 90s.  I just don't see them involved much other than maybe one game a year and the letterwinner golf event in the Twin Cities.   I see a lot more former players from the 60s and 70s at games.

I think the red-headed stepchild treatment that FB has received over the past 30 years may have something to do with it. They probably have some negative feelings about the lack of support and respect the program gets, even during successful periods. I think it played a role in the departure of Dale Lennon in December 2007 and it is playing a role in the lack of attendance/support of recent FB alumni. That is why it is so crucial that we fill the Alerus Center on December 3rd.

I drove up from the cities 3 times this year with my gf.  She likes the football games more than the hockey games, and I think I do too now.  We also went to our first away game this year at UNC.  Saw UNDColorado's setup out there, but didn't have a chance to really say hi (gf is kinda shy).  We did get free beer at the UNC Alumni tent though haha.

Also, sat directly next to Faison and Kelley in the top row of the bleachers at UNC.  Neither even looked over once  to say hi.  It was almost as if they purposely avoided eye contact. 

16 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I drove up from the cities 3 times this year with my gf.  She likes the football games more than the hockey games, and I think I do too now.  We also went to our first away game this year at UNC.  Saw UNDColorado's setup out there, but didn't have a chance to really say hi (gf is kinda shy).  We did get free beer at the UNC Alumni tent though haha.

Also, sat directly next to Faison and Kelley in the top row of the bleachers at UNC.  Neither even looked over once  to say hi.  It was almost as if they purposely avoided eye contact. 

Kennedy did make a point of coming down to say hi to us at Stony Brook but it probably helped that I was sitting with Steve Brekke at the time.  He did seem friendly and personable.

2 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Kennedy did make a point of coming down to say hi to us at Stony Brook but it probably helped that I was sitting with Steve Brekke at the time.  He did seem friendly and personable.

I wasn't sitting with Steve Brekke but Kennedy still stopped and visited with us for a bit.  Also saw him stop and talk to some of the football players families.  He was making the rounds which was nice to see.

After the NAU game I was on the field with my son and buddy SiouxDini and Kennedy / Faison walked up to me and we talked football playoffs and volleyball championship for a bit.  Faison was really engaged in the playoff talk and how he was pretty comfortable that not being seeded we would still get a home game.

40 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

The decision should be mostly made on financial reasons.  That is what started this talk in the first place.  If staying in the Big Sky is going to cost near the same as playing in the Summit/Valley, then I am all for staying in the Big Sky.  If the Summit/MVFC is going to save UND money and from cutting sports, then that is the route to go.  Decisions like these should not be clouded with reasoning based on emotion.  

• Upvote 3

On 11/23/2016 at 9:11 AM, nodak651 said:

Glad you made it, stop by next time. That was a fun day!

• Upvote 1

I live in eastern South Dakota, but I have enjoyed going to Laramie and Greeley for FB games and allowing some time to hike in the mountains and soak in the Saratoga WY hot springs. These are activities unavailable in Cedar Falls or Fargo. Stay in the Big Sky.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The decision should be mostly made on financial reasons.  That is what started this talk in the first place.  If staying in the Big Sky is going to cost near the same as playing in the Summit/Valley, then I am all for staying in the Big Sky.  If the Summit/MVFC is going to save UND money and from cutting sports, then that is the route to go.  Decisions like these should not be clouded with reasoning based on emotion.  

A quality, not so subtle, shot at the end of the article, also.  

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So should the NSIC be on the table too then?  Because if it is all about the finances, that would save a buttload of cash.  Several former rivals hanging out there too....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, bincitysioux said:

So should the NSIC be on the table too then?  Because if it is all about the finances, that would save a buttload of cash.  Several former rivals hanging out there too....

Exactly.  A conference decision is a strategic direction both academically and athletically.  Similar finances of conference schools are important, but not the overriding factor.

How does getting in a closer relationship with W Ill, ORU, IUPUI, and IPFW help UND.  Of course the Big Sky has a few schools like them, but think S Utah, Portland St, Idaho St and Sac St offer much more for UND to hang out with.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Exactly.  A conference decision is a strategic direction both academically and athletically.  Similar finances of conference schools are important, but not the overriding factor.

How does getting in a closer relationship with W Ill, ORU, IUPUI, and IPFW help UND.  Of course the Big Sky has a few schools like them, but think S Utah, Portland St, Idaho St and Sac St offer much more for UND to hang out with.

Oral Roberts has better brand equity on the NCAA basketball scene than any of the Big Sky schools you mentioned.

I get why people like the Big Sky. There is certainly an appeal to some of the team/schools in the conference.

From a fan standpoint, it really sucks that people living in the general region where UND is, cannot really travel to away games. Of course they can, but it is much more of a hardship. Would be nice to get these athletes more support on the road, and for the fans to have more of a affordable opportunity to travel.

As much as I would like to go see UND play in Montana, it is far more likely that I make the trip to South Dakota.

• Upvote 1

On 11/23/2016 at 8:42 AM, Nodak78 said:

Do many alumni from the cities drive to GF for games?

I do.  

I certainly would go to more road football games if UND were regularly playing NDSU, USD, SDSU, and UNI.  But I honestly don't know if the road turnout would be a lot better than it is now.  Certainly it would be in Fargo, but I'm not sure about the other three.  

14 minutes ago, mksioux said:

I do.  

I certainly would go to more road football games if UND were regularly playing NDSU, USD, SDSU, and UNI.  But I honestly don't know if the road turnout would be a lot better than it is now.  Certainly it would be in Fargo, but I'm not sure about the other three.  

SDSU built a a C & E Stadium.  Meaning its only really full on Christmas and Easter.  Christmas being NDSU and Easter being USD.  Even then, they still didn't even sell out the USD game.  Getting tickets at either of the South Dakota schools should never be a problem.  UNO may be more difficult, but they have a big stadium as well.

10 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

It would be difficult to get tickets for NDSU game.

I agree.  But despite the tough ticket, I still think more UND fans would end up attending an NDSU game than currently attend any Big Sky road game.  As for Brookings, Vermillion, and Cedar Falls...I'm not sure there would be a big difference.  I think you'd probably get a few more UND fans at those games than Big Sky games, but I don't think there would be throngs of UND fans in attendance.  But I could be wrong.  

Just now, Siouxperfan7 said:

SDSU built a a C & E Stadium.  Meaning its only really full on Christmas and Easter.  Christmas being NDSU and Easter being USD.  Even then, they still didn't even sell out the USD game.  Getting tickets at either of the South Dakota schools should never be a problem.  UNO may be more difficult, but they have a big stadium as well.

And yet SDSU attendance has averaged almost double UND in 2016. And that's minus our two biggest conference draws, NDSU and UNI.

FYI, we had almost 17,000 for USD. Nope, not a sell out but hey, the rivalry isn't what it used to be. The years off and the fact USD haven't beaten us in years has tempered the excitement. If/when USD become relevant again the crowds will return. They already have in basketball. Where else can you find a crowd of over 9,000 for a Women's basketball game but in South Dakota when SDSU and USD play.