SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ Minnesota - FRIDAY Gameday ********

AZSIOUX

2 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

9 new faces...4 seniors and 5 juniors gone.  That's a lot of leadership to replace.  Growing pains.  Frustrating, for sure, but there will be nights like these.

But overreacting and folding the tent on the season is so much more fun. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Irish said:

We reload - that's the recruiting idea anyway - where is all of the talent on defense this year - did we get caught short on D - although potentially some good players, no studs on D the last couple of years - what's up

I think the hardest transition from level to level is D. Look at Shaw, he got a lot of flack on here last year, but I think he looks much better this year. Wolanin looks better to me as well. That's why I think 2 years from now our D should be really good again depending on early departures.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

I think the hardest transition from level to level is D. Look at Shaw, he got a lot of flack on here last year, but I think he looks much better this year. Wolanin looks better to me as well. That's why I think 2 years from now our D should be really good again depending on early departures.

Wolanin and Shaw remind me of LaPoint and Jake Marto.  They kinda swapped ice time as freshman, and by their senior year they were the rock solid top D pair. 

That's where I see Wolanin and Shaw two years from now.

4 minutes ago, BigGreyAnt41 said:

Wolanin and Shaw remind me of LaPoint and Jake Marto.  They kinda swapped ice time as freshman, and by their senior year they were the rock solid top D pair. 

That's where I see Wolanin and Shaw two years from now.

And by that time Johnson, Poolman, and everyones favorite Peski will be JRs. I'm not sure if Chartrand will factor in at all.

Some thoughts:

~Cam got caught a couple times too deep in his net.  Needs to challenge, get to the top of the paint.  Some of the big saves he made made up for the questionable ones.  He's not the reason the game was a tie.  He was pretty good in some key spots.   

~Defensive zone coverage was the worst I've seen in years.  Lots of puck watching.  Very teachable moments on video tomorrow for the group.  Someone already said it…..you don't replace Stecher or LaDue.  And those guys were on the ice 50 percent of the time last year.  Minnesota's 5th goal can't happen…..but just before it was scored I saw our guy looking at the puck carrier and not his responsibility…..and cue the rouser…..  

~Forwards need to do a better job tracking back defensively.  Minnesota is so good at adding a fourth guy or weakside d man to a rush, and finding his stick for a quality scoring chance.  

~You have to adjust your play to the officiating.  Being a man up for Minnesota was the difference, and a reason that the first period went from good to bad…..

~Tyson Jost's best game for UND.  Great game by the freshman.  Simonson also very good out there on the final kill of the game.   

I think you'll see UND try and slow the game down a bit tomorrow.  Obviously they can't play end to end with Minnesota, but you'll see them dump the puck more and try and play in Minnesota's end a bit more.  Give Minnesota 5 plus powerplays and it'll be a long night with the rouser.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

At least 8 new faces...4 seniors and 4 juniors gone.  That's a lot of leadership to replace.  Growing pains.  Frustrating, for sure, but there will be nights like these.

What amazes me is how people didn't expect this team to struggle, and even more so on a large ice surface.  UND likes to be aggressive and it looks like they were afraid to be because they were worried about coverage.  They looked like they wanted to be more aggressive penalty killing but were slow to get back in the lanes.  As bad as they handled the big ice surface, Minnesota only scored one goal without a man advantage.  Hopefully they are more disciplined by not taking penalties tomorrow and if they do, in their coverage.

1 hour ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

Last year was 4 jrs 1 very good so and 1 fr when healthy. This year 1 sr 1 jr 2 so 2 fr when healthy. We might be 2 years away from having another very good d-corps. By that time Tomek would be a senior and I'm hoping that team will be much like last years. In the meantime we fans are going to have to try to be patient and hope the learning curve isn't too steep.

Tomek is gone after this season if he gets no time in net. And it's not looking like he will when he's penciled in as the third goalie. 

Poolman has to be the best d man in the nation. What an animal.

The skill of the gopher players is noticable, just like their vaginas. Wow are they soft.

We looked slow for a huge portion of this game. Pretty bad overall. We need to play better tomorrow. This game was just not the same old gopher game. It's a shame. I'm hoping tomorrow will be more intense and a better performance by our team. We had a couple guys carry us. We need the chemistry to improve big time.

Cam....... Maybe he needs to sit for a while like last year to be sharp? 

• Upvote 2

A couple thoughts from tonight's big fiesta...

Gopher fans were by and large happy to see the Sioux fans back on campus and at the John.  It looked like a pretty good turnout by the Sioux faithful...Buffalo Wild Wings was packed inside but because of the nice November weather we were able to sit on the patio and enjoy our beers and wings.  That's right; we were on the patio in NOVEMBER!  There were probably 10-12 guys scalping tickets outside Mariucci and it didn't look like they were getting a lot of takers.  Seats on the glass just inside the blue line were awesome...They removed the seats for Row 1 and put up a railing in front of Row 2 which is where we were.  Row 1 is now an open area for photographers to walk around and get there pics.  The Gofer fan sitting to my right was courteous, knowledgeable, and even a bit funny...Halfway thru the first period Gofer fan remarked on the many open seats around the arena.  He said, "there's no excuse for not filling the arena for this series."

As far as the game goes, our defense in the slot (re: clearing rebounds) has got to be better.  Thought maybe this would be a game Cam would steal for UND but the Gofers were getting good looks at the net all night.  Jost's goal was a jaw-dropper!  To make that move in that tight space was incredible and the Gofer fans around us acknowledged what a pretty goal it was...tighten up the D boys and things will go our way!

1 hour ago, tnt said:

What amazes me is how people didn't expect this team to struggle, and even more so on a large ice surface.  UND likes to be aggressive and it looks like they were afraid to be because they were worried about coverage.  They looked like they wanted to be more aggressive penalty killing but were slow to get back in the lanes.  As bad as they handled the big ice surface, Minnesota only scored one goal without a man advantage.  Hopefully they are more disciplined by not taking penalties tomorrow and if they do, in their coverage.

Wait... are you trying to tell me we won't go 34-6-4 every year?!!... sorry, I can't cheer for this team anymore

• Upvote 2

Cam has had better nights.
Defensive coverage in our zone was horrendous.
Our PP sucks almost as much as our PK.

Other than that, there were a couple positives.  :)
Jost with his best game in a UND sweater.  Good to see Boeser back on the score sheet after getting blanked at Duluth.  And Poolman with a beauty of a move to get around the defender on his goal.

Go get 'em tomorrow, boys.

Did Tomek even make the trip?

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

Jost with his best game in a UND sweater.  Good to see Boeser back on the score sheet after getting blanked at Duluth.  And Poolman with a beauty of a move to get around the defender on his goal.

Tomek should have made the trip, since UND can bring all goalies on non-conference road trips.

2 hours ago, brianvf said:

Which one of Cams goals you think he should've stopped? Sure his #s look bad w/o digging in but he had much better rebound control than against Duluth. He stood up to some heavy UofM barrages and bailed out our D on multiple occasions. 

Agreed on the positives and also Wolanin looked good tonight. Big step for him IMO 

UND looked slow........again. Trying to slow the game tonight down shouldn't be to hard. 23 total penalties is ridiculous. To give up that 5th goal with under 2 minutes left was a microcosm of the season to date.