SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ Minnesota - FRIDAY Gameday ********

AZSIOUX

12 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Last night was pretty disappointing giving up all those leads and getting destroyed in puck possession.  But on the flip side they didn't lose.  They really need to figure out their special teams play in the worst way.  5 on 5 their fine.

Pretty crazy when you think about the Goohers only scoring on man advantages.   They suck. We had a lot of leads which is great but who is the cold blooded killer on our team? Who is the Stetcher? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

Pretty crazy when you think about the Goohers only scoring on man advantages.   They suck. We had a lot of leads which is great but who is the cold blooded killer on our team? Who is the Stetcher? 

The gophs are built for the big ice....they are also built to play early in the season when the refs blow the whistle every two minutes.   As the season progresses the refs swallow their whistles more and the gophs typically come back to earth.  The gophs are a very good team that underwhelms a lot.  Not last night though.  They looked good.  

I think ausmus is hurt.

So 2 of the 3 3rd period goals were rebounds or the puck was just loose , in the slot. And the 3rd was a one timer. All three beat best him short side. 2 blocker and one glove. I don't think cam can be faulted for those. Obviously rebounds need to be eliminated but last year's core was very good about clearing those. Curious on how many blocked shots and shot attempts for the total last night. 5 on 5 play shots were 23-19 per Brad. I like our chances tonight at even strength. 

gophund3.jpg

There's not one good excuse out there for our level of play last night. It was a good start, but the slop is the reason that we were unable to hold a consistent lead through the full 60 minutes. I've said it, you've said it, we've all said it- our defense as a WHOLE has a lot of work to do. Even Tuck slipped up last night. We have captains not honing the leadership that's expected out of them, and when the boys hold themselves to a lower level of accountability, this is the result.

It's not a loss. But it's not a win either. I don't know about you guys, but when I see the word unbeaten it drives me nuts. Great, we haven't given up a loss yet in non-conference play but being referred to as unbeaten makes me cringe. 

We need a much better effort. If last night's tie wasn't enough to get the boys on the horse tonight, it'll be another week of much needed GRIND in the Ralph before we have Denver come in. For all we know we'll be seeing a much better team out of them than we are the U.

UND is offensively good enough that most nights they should be able to compete with anyone. It's the defense holding them back right now and that will come with time. UND lost a lot defensively, not just with Stecher, Ladue, Thompson, but with the losses of forwards like Caggiula, Schmaltz, and Chyzyk that were very skilled defensively. Team defense will take some time but come second half of the season I feel confident that this team can build some steam. Early season there will be growing pains. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Jost's celebration was a boarder line a Gopher one. Maybe Oshie should come and teach him how to celebrate like he did for Kristo in that episode of Brad 

He went down on one knee and into the glass with Sioux fans, one with a flag of the Indian head. He made a great individual play where gates shot in a rebound goal and Popped the jersey. Please. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, nodakgirl93 said:
27 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Jost's celebration was a boarder line a Gopher one. Maybe Oshie should come and teach him how to celebrate like he did for Kristo in that episode of Brad Miller time. 

He went down on one knee and into the glass with Sioux fans, one with a flag of the Indian head. He made great individual play where gates shot in a rebound goal and popped the jersey. Please. 

He didn't jersey pop but it's also not a UND kind of thing to do the wipe the glove on the ice celebration.

4 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

Matej Tomek - what do we know? Someone, anyone?

I have heard from sources close to Tomek's thinking that he is will be gone by Christmas. Too bad we never got a chance to see him play. Glad he leaves with a ring though.

• Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

What the H*LL???????? Gone because he's not being played? I wouldn't think Hakstol would do that

Guaranteed it's not Hak. If he hasn't played in college games, there's no way they'd pull him up. Especially with three years (two years playing) of eligibility remaining after this season. I hate to see these rumors fly with Matej knowing how highly touted he was coming into our school. Injuries set athletes back though. If he's gotta pull a Senkbeil, let him.

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

He didn't jersey pop but it's also not a UND kind of thing to do the wipe the glove on the ice celebration.

Yes he did. He did the same thing wheeler did. And jost touched the ice for a second with his glove, didn't ever wipe the ice with it. Goon put up the highlights you may want to watch them again. His cele was very similar to Drakes second goal against Denver in the semis 

17 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

Yes he did. He did the same thing wheeler did. And jost touched the ice for a second with his glove, didn't ever wipe the ice with it. Goon put up the highlights you may want to watch them again. His cele was very similar to Drakes second goal against Denver in the semis 

I'm talking only about Jost

19 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

I remember Drakes vividly and remember thinking the same thing. The importance of that goal made the celebration less important but I feel the same way. That's just not how we do things here. 

1 hour ago, nodakgirl93 said:

You said it was borderline gopher. How so? I said gates cele was too much and then u say josts wasn't any better. Nothing wrong with his celebration. But whatever more important things to talk about tonight.

I'm saying there is a UND way to celebrate no matter how big the goal is and he didn't follow that. We don't pop jerseys and we don't rub the ice on one knee.