SiouxSports.com Forum

What do you think of the logo now??

Siouxperfan7

Fighting Hawks logo  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

4 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

How could they had done that?  You had to be a current student, UND employee, alumni, donor, or a season ticket holder to vote.  Not sure how many Bison fans fit into that voting body.

It sounded like the general public was allowed to vote based on the previous posts. Is this not true?

6 minutes ago, FightingSU said:

It sounded like the general public was allowed to vote based on the previous posts. Is this not true?

https://blogs.und.edu/uletter/2015/09/und-announces-nickname-voting-dates/

The voting process, which will be conducted completely online, will begin at 8:00 a.m. Central Time Monday, October 19 and will close at 12:00 midnight Central Time on Friday, October 23. Voting will be open to the following groups:

·        Current UND Students
·        Current UND Faculty
·        Current UND Staff
·        UND Retirees
·        UND Alumni
·        UND Donors
·        Current Season Ticket Holders to UND Athletic Events

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The voting process, which will be conducted completely online, will begin at 8:00 a.m. Central Time Monday, October 19 and will close at 12:00 midnight Central Time on Friday, October 23. Voting will be open to the following groups:

·        UND Retirees
·        UND Alumni
·        UND Donors

I was a student at the time, I don't remember what I voted for to be honest. Or if I even did...

3 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

·        UND Retirees
·        UND Alumni
·        UND Donors

Wasn't the overwhelming selection by the voters to drop all nicknames and be known simply as North Dakota?  Then that was deemed unacceptable and we ended up with F'Hawks?  

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Wasn't the overwhelming selection by the voters to drop all nicknames and be known simply as North Dakota?  Then that was deemed unacceptable and we ended up with F'Hawks?  

I did do a breakdown of the vote(s) somewhere in a thread I am not going to look for, but at the end of the day the new name and logo were supported by about 8% of students and alumni.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Blackheart said:

To answer a question that has been hashed for hundreds of posts on this site...

- Some people wanted just "North Dakota."

- "North Dakota" would have been no nickname, which would have made "Sioux" the defacto nickname.

-  No nickname or just 'No Nickname" was thrown out as an option by the committee as an option.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Because a 6 figure consultant said that because it was mentioned on Urban Dictionary in a negative light that they shouldn't use it....

Not realizing that ANYONE can write something on Urban Dictionary!

The comment was made by the consultant however it did not disqualify the name.
Other than the reasons people had voting for Fighting Hawks, there were also quite a few that had issues with the Roughrider nickname because Red River is already using it. I think that was probably the biggest issue that people had with what I felt was the best choice and was frankly a no-brainer given the other choices.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

To answer a question that has been hashed for hundreds of posts on this site...

- Some people wanted just "North Dakota."

- "North Dakota" would have been no nickname, which would have made "Sioux" the defacto nickname.

-  No nickname or just 'No Nickname" was thrown out as an option by the committee as an option.

Wasn't the no nickname option quashed by his highness Kelley?

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2022 at 8:53 AM, Siouxperfan7 said:

Hanging from the posts along University Ave. Wondering what UND had planned for this Hawk “logo”. 

C26CC1C1-2C44-47FC-B7B4-059557CB839F.jpeg

It wouldn't be the worst on both sides of an alternate football helmet.

It's not great but as a one off or a skin for a helmet... passable 

Would be at least usefull to gauge interest in the concept. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/22/2022 at 3:12 PM, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

The problem ultimately goes to the choices that were allowed to be voted on.  The choices all should have been: A) unique and B) specific to North Dakota.  Hawks is neither.

And I said it back then and will say it again. There were two main reasons Hawks won. The first being I firmly believe is that "Fighting" in front of Hawks turned many people to Hawks. Would just "Hawks" have won vs. say "Fighting Nodaks"? I don't believe so. "Fighting" swung the vote. And the second being the fact that there were many different logo renditions circulating with feathers and different half-ass cool looking options which many believed would become our new logo. Instead we get the least creative name with that absolutely brutal postal service logo! 

• Upvote 3

On 10/3/2022 at 8:53 AM, Siouxperfan7 said:

Hanging from the posts along University Ave. Wondering what UND had planned for this Hawk “logo”. 

C26CC1C1-2C44-47FC-B7B4-059557CB839F.jpeg

A 2nd grader working in clip art could do better. This is the most generic POS logo I’ve ever seen. It looks like one of the Generic crappy logos you could use in create a team on EA sports game trash. 

2 hours ago, I Ranger said:

And I said it back then and will say it again. There were two main reasons Hawks won. The first being I firmly believe is that "Fighting" in front of Hawks turned many people to Hawks. Would just "Hawks" have won vs. say "Fighting Nodaks"? I don't believe so. "Fighting" swung the vote. And the second being the fact that there were many different logo renditions circulating with feathers and different half-ass cool looking options which many believed would become our new logo. Instead we get the least creative name with that absolutely brutal postal service logo! 

Don't forget How About We Keep Sioux

• Upvote 2