SiouxSports.com Forum

What do you think of the logo now??

Siouxperfan7

Fighting Hawks logo  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

29 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

We are lucky Ralph isn’t  alive …… the arena could be a parking lot right now.

the Ralph has embraced the nodaks nickname because it is not horrendous, no reason to use an unpopular logo

The NODAKS isn't terrible and the jerseys ain't to bad either! This shows and proves we could support a new nickname and logo, and I would be on board if it wasn't a literal embarrassment to the school., Especially coming from where/what we had to give up and replace it with what we have now is base of the problem/conflict/argument unsatisfactory attitude among hockey fans - which is the largest revenue driver for the school so....

Look how fast and well the NODAK jersey's sell - sold out instantly. People will support a new logo if it is prideful and MEANS something!

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, FightingSU said:

The NODAKS isn't terrible and the jerseys ain't to bad either! This shows and proves we could support a new nickname and logo, and I would be on board if it wasn't a literal embarrassment to the school., Especially coming from where/what we had to give up and replace it with what we have now is base of the problem/conflict/argument unsatisfactory attitude among hockey fans - which is the largest revenue driver for the school so....

Look how fast and well the NODAK jersey's sell - sold out instantly. People will support a new logo if it is prideful and MEANS something!

"Nodak" is not our Nickname.  It ws voted on and finished 3rd.  The fact that the REA and the hockey program is embracing it and making jersyes with it pretty pathetic.  It's not like it is like a secondary nickname the UND atheltics has been know as for decades.  It is a blatent rejection of the Fighting Hawks name. 

Go back 20 years and think if the football team and the Alerus Center decided that they didn';t want toassociate the team with the Sioux name.  Say mthey wanted to be known as Nodaks or jsut no nickname. The overwhelming majority of the fanbase would be in an uproar.  They would be making the same arguments I am making today.  

The point I have always made is love it, hate it, or somewhere in the mddle...Fighting Hawks is UND's nickname and the logo is what it is (for now).  You can choose to reject it.  That is your choice.  But when fans, teams, and venues reject that as well, it only hurts the University and its effort to move on from the old name and logo.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

30 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

"Nodak" is not our Nickname.  It ws voted on and finished 3rd.  The fact that the REA and the hockey program is embracing it and making jersyes with it pretty pathetic.  It's not like it is like a secondary nickname the UND atheltics has been know as for decades.  It is a blatent rejection of the Fighting Hawks name. 

Go back 20 years and think if the football team and the Alerus Center decided that they didn';t want toassociate the team with the Sioux name.  Say mthey wanted to be known as Nodaks or jsut no nickname. The overwhelming majority of the fanbase would be in an uproar.  They would be making the same arguments I am making today.  

The point I have always made is love it, hate it, or somewhere in the mddle...Fighting Hawks is UND's nickname and the logo is what it is (for now).  You can choose to reject it.  That is your choice.  But when fans, teams, and venues reject that as well, it only hurts the University and its effort to move on from the old name and logo.

Nodak is a throw back to teams in the past that used that name on their jersey during the “flicker tails” period. To say it has no connection to the university because it is not a nickname is just as bad as other people rejecting the f hawks name. 

remember people voted for the fighting hawks name because they saw a cool logo that someone put out there that resembled the Sioux logo. Obviously that was not the one we could use and now we are stuck with the one gray hair Schaffer thought would Be good.

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

The NODAK jerseys sold out at the Ralph within hours of going public.....just saying.

Next potential shipment to get one is still weeks away.

Exactly. People are still trying to buy ones through third parties and online sellers lol. They are in demand. Nobody wants a hawks jersey and if you think they do.. then you are out of touch with the majority of the hockey fan base. Sorry. You can like it, I can not like it.

2 hours ago, FightingSU said:

Exactly. People are still trying to buy ones through third parties and online sellers lol. They are in demand. Nobody wants a hawks jersey and if you think they do.. then you are out of touch with the majority of the hockey fan base. Sorry. You can like it, I can not like it.

Just looked at all the recently sold items on eBay by searching “fighting Sioux” compare to “North Dakota Fighting hawks” and the Sioux logo items outsold the hawk logo merchandise by 389-58!!!!

what does that tell you? No one wants to buy the fighting hawk garbage 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Just looked at all the recently sold items on eBay by searching “fighting Sioux” compare to “North Dakota Fighting hawks” and the Sioux logo items outsold the hawk logo merchandise by 389-58!!!!

what does that tell you? No one wants to buy the fighting hawk garbage 

Pretty non-scientific analysis, especially when you compare the retail/resale market for used and/or knockoff items (heavily favors eBay and Sioux) to that for new and officially licensed product (many more, and more reputable, outlets for Hawks gear). 

Adjust for that, and then the data will begin to make sense, and potentially be more persuasive. 

I still use the eye-test at the Alerus and Ralph, where the Hawks are definitely gaining ground.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Pretty non-scientific analysis, especially when you compare the retail/resale market for used and/or knockoff items (heavily favors eBay and Sioux) to that for new and officially licensed product (many more, and more reputable, outlets for Hawks gear). 

Adjust for that, and then the data will begin to make sense, and potentially be more persuasive. 

I still use the eye-test at the Alerus and Ralph, where the Hawks are definitely gaining ground.

I use the eye-test as well, I definitely disagree. Everyone wears Sioux jerseys. Classics, knock offs, 2010 style etc. I barely see any Hawks gear - except from some newbies to the scene maybe. I am not calling you a liar, but last time I was there - just last season, I noticed the exact opposite of your observation... who knows. Boo fighting HAwks BOO.

I guess I was at the Ralph, no idea about the alerus. You are probably correct about the Alerus. I think once of the issues here also, is just that hockey as a sport and the fans are just more into traditions and things like that vs a lot of other sports.

On 8/29/2022 at 2:00 PM, und1995 said:

To think this all could have been avoided if they let the top choice North Dakota be selected. I think after a while a nickname could have been chosen instead of being forced on the University so soon after retiring the Sioux nickname and logo. 

If they had waited, then we could have gone with Fighting Moose after that moose broke into Memorial Stadium. 

11 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Nodak is a throw back to teams in the past that used that name on their jersey during the “flicker tails” period. To say it has no connection to the university because it is not a nickname is just as bad as other people rejecting the f hawks name. 

remember people voted for the fighting hawks name because they saw a cool logo that someone put out there that resembled the Sioux logo. Obviously that was not the one we could use and now we are stuck with the one gray hair Schaffer thought would Be good.

Not sure how much of an influence it actually had, but I was told by a then student that he and his friends supported Hawks because of the acronym "How About We Keep Sioux." 

58 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

Not sure how much of an influence it actually had, but I was told by a then student that he and his friends supported Hawks because of the acronym "How About We Keep Sioux." 

Which is a stupid reason to pick hawks! How much fighting hawk gear have those students bought with that mentality? Almost worst than picking a realistic name that could actually be marketed……

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Yeah who would buy used fighting hawk gear when no one wants to even buy it new! 

Hawks gear is only gaining ground because there is nothing else available to buy. Start selling the ND logo and that will outsell them hawks gear!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FightingSU said:

I use the eye-test as well, I definitely disagree. Everyone wears Sioux jerseys. Classics, knock offs, 2010 style etc. I barely see any Hawks gear - except from some newbies to the scene maybe. I am not calling you a liar, but last time I was there - just last season, I noticed the exact opposite of your observation... who knows. Boo fighting HAwks BOO.

I guess I was at the Ralph, no idea about the alerus. You are probably correct about the Alerus. I think once of the issues here also, is just that hockey as a sport and the fans are just more into traditions and things like that vs a lot of other sports.

Clowns like you are why I don't come to this site too much anymore.  I think you might be an NDSU fan trolling us all, the SU on your screen name is telling.  STFU.  You are only hurting the University I love. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

12 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Which is a stupid reason to pick hawks! How much fighting hawk gear have those students bought with that mentality? Almost worst than picking a realistic name that could actually be marketed……

Yeah. Definitely short sighted, but I'm not sure it mattered. I think it was the consensus choice of many people in the voting round. Not many loved it, but it was acceptable to many. Ultimately I think it was the inevitable choice once we got to the voting because the committee eliminated any truly interesting names.