SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

13 hours ago, Goon said:

They lost a big chunk of their lineup. I am thinking middle of the pack. 

11 hours ago, tnt said:

They'll probably have one of the best defensive corps in the league, but have lot of scoring to replace.

11 hours ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

A strong D-corps is a good place to start. They shouldn't be as high scoring, but if they have good goaltending the could still have a good year.

D was precisely why I didn't know. A good D can make an average goalie an above average goalie. I think their scoring will be ok. Certainly not as high octane as the past couple of season, but the Poehlings are players. 

Back on topic.  Schlossman, in the UND hockey TV airing this week, said "Will UND be as good as last year...No."  He also characterized last season's team as one that only comes around every 30 years or so.  Interesting, from a guy who did not pick UND to win the regional (love the coverage, but you are all over the place sometimes, man).

While UND is even younger and less experienced than last season, I think they have a chance to be special this year.  Jost & Beoeser together could be great.  Looking forward to seeing what Hoff can bring, as well.  A key element is goaltending.  If Cam can cover for a few young defensive miscues, UND has a chance to go far.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, OETKB said:

Back on topic.  Schlossman, in the UND hockey TV airing this week, said "Will UND be as good as last year...No."  He also characterized last season's team as one that only comes around every 30 years or so.  Interesting, from a guy who did not pick UND to win the regional (love the coverage, but you are all over the place sometimes, man).

While UND is even younger and less experienced than last season, I think they have a chance to be special this year.  Jost & Beoeser together could be great.  Looking forward to seeing what Hoff can bring, as well.  A key element is goaltending.  If Cam can cover for a few young defensive miscues, UND has a chance to go far.

They can become very good, but you don't lose 5 guys to the pros and not have some growing pains, especially when a lot of the offensive output came from the back end.  Wasn't there some stat the last few years that most of the top teams in the country had top scoring defenses.  We have the guys that can make a step, but you don't replace experienced guys like Stecher and LaDue without feeling it.  I would think whoever wins the league this year will have at least twice as many losses as we did last year.  

12 minutes ago, tnt said:

They can become very good, but you don't lose 5 guys to the pros and not have some growing pains, especially when a lot of the offensive output came from the back end.  Wasn't there some stat the last few years that most of the top teams in the country had top scoring defenses.  We have the guys that can make a step, but you don't replace experienced guys like Stecher and LaDue without feeling it.  I would think whoever wins the league this year will have at least twice as many losses as we did last year.  

Good points.  And in addition to the points our D scored, don't underestimate the value their play in the defensive zone played in our forwards' success at the other end of the ice.

I think that D corps was as good as any we have ever had, considering all phases of the game.

50 minutes ago, burd said:

Good points.  And in addition to the points our D scored, don't underestimate the value their play in the defensive zone played in our forwards' success at the other end of the ice.

I think that D corps was as good as any we have ever had, considering all phases of the game.

True, I sometimes think that LaDue's contribution was understated because he wasn't as flashy as others, but he really was steady as a rock on both ends of the ice. 

2 hours ago, OETKB said:

I think Tomek is the starter by the end of the season. Cam was great but there was an awesome defence and team in front of him, he could still be the starter by the end of the season but I wouldn't bet on it.

26 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

I think Tomek is the starter by the end of the season. Cam was great but there was an awesome defence and team in front of him, he could still be the starter by the end of the season but I wouldn't bet on it.

The thought has crossed my mind as well but I'll wait until we see him play before concluding. 

51 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

I think Tomek will get some good looks this year.  Saw him play this summer....kid's really good.

On 9/30/2016 at 11:30 AM, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

The thought has crossed my mind as well but I'll wait until we see him play before concluding. 

hmmmm...an all-amercian, national champion goalie, who now holds the second longest shutout streak in ncaa history....Cam is going to have to really hit a rough patch to not have that net be his

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

hmmmm...an all-amercian, national champion goalie, who now holds the second longest shutout streak in ncaa history....Cam is going to have to really hit a rough patch to not have that net be his

Didn't this happen after the 1997 title?

UND should be solid this year, but last year was indeed special. Last year's team lost 6 games all season...that's crazy! Going strictly by winning percentage, very few teams in history have hit that high of a mark.

After watching the Manitoba game, it sure looks like we're set in goal, and should have a nicely balanced forward group. The D will look pretty different, but I mentioned during the game that I'm glad Wolanin and Shaw don't have to split time this year. I think it's possible if Gersich doesn't click with the top line, Poganski switches with him.

9 hours ago, cberkas said:

Didn't this happen after the 1997 title?

Schweitzer got injured in the 1997-1998 season and Goehring came in and absolutely dominated.  So the writing was on the wall for him and he left after his sophomore season.  I am sire Bubs will throw Tomek in there from time to time, but as long as Cam is healty and continues to play well, I'd expect him to be in there most of the time.

• Upvote 1

On 9/27/2016 at 8:44 PM, Goon said:

I really like Monty better than I liked Gwoz. In my humble opinion, his pressers are fun to listen to than Gwoz... He's intense, but he's easier to talk to. He doesn't come off as being quite as smug. He also seems to get it. I have a lot of respect for him as a professional. 

I thought that was you I saw sporting the Maine MONTGOMERY jersey in REA on Saturday...

On 9/30/2016 at 10:11 AM, OETKB said:

I saw that too. Does Schlossman (who I am warming up to, believe it or not) really think we won't win another natty for 30 years? I hope that isn't what he meant because that is crazy talk. During our 16 year long championship drought, there were a couple of 30+ win teams who had single digit loss totals and a bunch of 25+ win teams with loss totals in the low teens. I don't think last year's team was a once in a generation occurrence. We aren't the Butler of NCAA Division I hockey, we are more like Duke, North Carolina or Kansas.

This team is going to be fun to watch.  Great to have several back that could have gone to NHL (Cam J, Brock B, Tucker P).  Pogo has a motor and still has a lot of upside potential to show this year IMO.  Gersich and the Flying Fin should show big improvement in scoring from last year.  Yon was really a nice surprise to see on Saturday night.  I was impressed with Colton P.  Brock is still a sniper and Jost was as advertised.  I hope to see more out of Wilkie as the season goes along.

5 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I saw that too. Does Schlossman (who I am warming up to, believe it or not) really think we won't win another natty for 30 years? I hope that isn't what he meant because that is crazy talk. During our 16 year long championship drought, there were a couple of 30+ win teams who had single digit loss totals and a bunch of 25+ win teams with loss totals in the low teens. I don't think last year's team was a once in a generation occurrence. We aren't the Butler of NCAA Division I hockey, we are more like Duke, North Carolina or Kansas.

2 hours ago, brianvf said:

He wasn't saying that at all.  Just that last year's team was very special, and it's not often that you have a team that comes together like that.
UND has been lucky that we haven't had to wait 30 years for those type of teams...last year's team, Frattin's senior team, etc were those type of special teams.  I would say we've had 3-4 "special teams" during our 16 yr drought...it's just that last year was the first time that they managed to pull it all together at the end.

Exactly, Brian. The 2015-16 team had the second highest winning percentage in the history of the program and won a national tile. Outside of the Circus, it was the best team of all time. So, he's saying we may not see a team like that again in 30 years.