SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

8 hours ago, sprig said:

There was the 2 nite total at last season's Duluth series

The biggest 50/50 number that I have ever seen was from the Jets game last year, it was like $80,000 Canadian. That's like $62,000 American. 

5 hours ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

It was guaranteed to be more than $25,000. It ended up over $50,000. It was sponsored by Midco and Coke.

The pot* was guaranteed to be at least $50,000.

*Pot at the Ralph is always announced as full amount and not what individual winnings are.

4 hours ago, Cratter said:

The pot* was guaranteed to be at least $50,000.

*Pot at the Ralph is always announced as full amount and not what individual winnings are.

I only consider the portion that people can actually take home as the jackpot. They didn't guarantee that the pot would get to $50,000, they guaranteed that someone would win at least $25,000. 

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/3949174-ralph-hold-largest-raffle-state-history-winner-take-home-least-25k

20 hours ago, Cratter said:

One reason it jumps up quicker now could be didn't they start accepting cards and they never did before? as it's all digital now unlike the old paper tickets...:blink:

I think the digital is a huge piece - you can walk by and see the running total on the sales booths.  Just like the lottery, more people play when the potential payout is larger.

• Upvote 1

Regardless of ones personal preference, it's important to let people know the jackpots at the Ralphs 5050 isn't ones winnings.

1 hour ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

They didn't guarantee that the pot would get to $50,000, they guaranteed that someone would win at least $25,000.

You sure your not a lawyer or at least want to be? And just like to argue. They absolutely guaranteed the pot would be $50,000 it's not even a question! Because otherwise they would have guaranteed the pot was $25,000. I can't believe I'm having this conversation. (You can go ask jody how much the office pool got to in the Ralph about how large they thought the "pot" was going to get that night...hint it started out at $50,000)...

The article linked states this in the first sentence. ......

"The Ralph Engelstad Arena will hold a 50/50 raffle with a $50,000 pot". And then the next line could have read but 82SiouxGuy says "but it's not a guarantee that the pot will actually be $50,000. (Boy that would be confusing just like 82s implied "well the other $25,000 was never guaranteed by anyone to go to UND making it not a true 5050." :silly:)

On 10/3/2016 at 9:55 AM, fightingsioux4life said:

After hanging #8, I think Berry has plenty of slack on his leash.

21 hours ago, UND-1 said:

Brad Berry wearing Fighting Hawks gear at the press conference today.

There goes the slack in his leash. Its time to fire up the Fire Berry thread and start up the Bring Back Hak or Bring Back Dean thread. It is completely unacceptable for the coach of this storied program to be wearing that apparel. What was he thinking?!?! Congrats you brought a Championship to GF, doesn't mean much if you can't respect the history of this program. Sioux Logo > Championships. I hope he gets a slap on the wrist, or a stick to the shin, from fans, players and alumni. Boo Berry!

AND before you respond, please sense the sarcasm!!!

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Great cereal!!!

boo.jpg

Just made my day!! hahaha

Now that you have introduced this, you do realize this picture will surface whenever Berry does something questionable going forward, or whenever the team has some down times? :)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Cratter said:

Regardless of ones personal preference, it's important to let people know the jackpots at the Ralphs 5050 isn't ones winnings.

You sure your not a lawyer or at least want to be? And just like to argue. They absolutely guaranteed the pot would be $50,000 it's not even a question! Because otherwise they would have guaranteed the pot was $25,000. I can't believe I'm having this conversation. (You can go ask jody how much the office pool got to in the Ralph about how large they thought the "pot" was going to get that night...hint it started out at $50,000)...

The article linked states this in the first sentence. ......

"The Ralph Engelstad Arena will hold a 50/50 raffle with a $50,000 pot". And then the next line could have read but 82SiouxGuy says "but it's not a guarantee that the pot will actually be $50,000. (Boy that would be confusing just like 82s implied "well the other $25,000 was never guaranteed by anyone to go to UND making it not a true 5050." :silly:)

The jackpot is the prize given to the winner, not the total amount sold. When they give away a Powerball jackpot it is the prize given out, not the total number of tickets sold. The "pot" doesn't have to be the same as the jackpot. And the name alone, 50/50, should be a clue that you only get 50% of the total tickets sold.

Full Definition of jackpot

1. 1 a (1) :  a hand or game of draw poker in which a pair of jacks or better is required to open (2) :  a large pot (as in poker) formed by the accumulation of stakes from previous play b (1) :  a combination on a slot machine that wins a top prize or all the coins available for paying out (2) :  the sum so won c :  the top prize in a game or contest (as a lottery) that is typically a large fund of money formed by the accumulation of unwon prizes

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/jackpot

On 10/5/2016 at 1:45 PM, chicofelipe said:

Last year they did one jackpot for the entire weekend (just once). Made for a LARGE jackpot.

On 10/5/2016 at 1:45 PM, chicofelipe said:

Last year they did one jackpot for the entire weekend (just once). Made for a LARGE jackpot.

On 10/5/2016 at 1:48 PM, Cratter said:

Yeah it was two days collected into one and guaranteed (Ralph or a business?) to be above $50,000.

You responded to a post about the jackpot (even mentioned twice). I responded to both his post and yours, again about the jackpot. Then you change the story to be about the "pot". And you accuse me of just wanting to argue when I was just providing accurate information about the original post in this string. They guaranteed that the jackpot would be at least $25,000 (as per the headline in the earlier linked article). The actual winner got more than $50,000.

5 hours ago, Cratter said:

You're finally getting it. I never said anything about the "jackpot."

5 hours ago, Cratter said:

oh no you quoted me before i got the quick edit in....delete that part or we'll have a long discussion of what is "is"....:lol: