SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

5 minutes ago, siouxjoy said:

The team's record at Frozen Fours I have attended is 0-2, so I decided to stop attending high stakes games.  I don't necessarily believe in jinxing teams, but I don't want to take the chance, either!  :lol:

I thought I was jinxed until I stayed home from the Boston Frozen Four...  

24 minutes ago, Brucesky02 said:

The $100 price tag is aggressive. From their perspective, I can't blame them for trying it out though. I don't know what their single game ticket quantity available is, but if it was 2,000 seats per game, you're talking about $200,000 in extra revenue on the weekend.

That said...IMO - the UND athletic dept. should address this sort of pricing behavior in any future agreements with schools. Either a cap on the % increase allowed or a revenue share on any increase over the average ticket price that school charges. For conference games, the NCHC should exercise some muscle in stopping the similar behavior like we saw with the package requirements in Denver.

While these high ticket prices and package requirements make short-term economical sense for the schools, I believe they represent a long-term loss for college hockey. I witnessed a similar behavior in NASCAR. (grew up in NC) They had huge demand - the waiting list for tickets to the night race at Bristol was 84,000 people when I signed up in 1998. There were certainly some other factors like overbuilding grandstands (supply) and the poor economy, but when I started going to races in 1997, tickets were generally $20-$60. By the mid-2000s when their decline started, tickets were $75-$200. As people stopped coming, they lost interest.

I can't remember if there are any proven theories on this, but what I'm getting at is that sports economics is not a standard supply and demand chart. You can't just drop prices later and have demand increase at the same level. As you increase price, you reduce demand, and that reduction has a continued effect in the future as fans lose interest in the sport. 

That's a good point/comparison with Nascar and I think there's some merit to it.

I feel like $100+ prices some of your diehard fans out of the games.

I consider myself in the diehard UND hockey fan group. (Go to Duluth, Bemidji, St Cloud, been to Omaha, Denver, went to Tampa last year and attend every home game)

So when I have the chance to buy tickets and decide not to for a Gophers series, it doesn't feel like the right price point.

Just because you can get the price, does it mean you should and potentially keep out some of the sport's biggest supporters?

Decided against buying tickets. Already driving to Minneapolis that weekend to attend the Vikings/Lions game. Thought it'd be great to also be able to catch the hockey games in person but I just couldn't justify dropping $100-130 per ticket each night. 

Is Senser's in Bloomington still a location where UND fans congregate for UND games? Think I'll be planning to hang out there.

56 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I'm not paying that money for a regular season game. My ticket to the national championship game was less than 70 bucks, for comparison sakes. 

If you have money and are willing to shell it out, I applaud you, but I'd rather keep that for things like... Regionals or Frozen Fours. 

Agree.  I will watch on TV and won't have to listen to the spelling cheers!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Honestly for $100-130 per ticket, I'm not attending the game. That's insane.

UofM is gouging fans and I'll wait to see if I can pick up some last second SRO.

I remember the last Sioux/Gopher game of the WCHA era and I couldn't even sell my SRO ticket for $30 outside Mariucci.

But that game was every bit worth of $130. Awesome game.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Yeah but still not going to pay that.

Plus, after the beatdown we put on them Friday night, Gopher fans will probably give away their Saturday tickets.

Lucky for the Gofer fans there's a monster truck rally in town that weekend.:)

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

The last game we played at Mariucci? 

I remember a tie? And giving up a 2 goal lead to settle for that tie. Guess I didn't think it was that awesome. *shrugs*

I remember an electric atmosphere, but giving up the last 2 goals to settle for a tie was a buzzkill to say the least.

Plus I believe we dominated the OT and Rocco(I think?) hit the crossbar.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I remember an electric atmosphere, but giving up the last 2 goals to settle for a tie was a buzzkill to say the least.

Rocco was the king of hitting cross bars/pipes.

5 hours ago, siouxjoy said:

The team's record at Frozen Fours I have attended is 0-2, ... 

Is that all? In know folks that attended seven of the Ugly Eight*. (Not sure I know anyone eight for eight.)

*Albany, Columbus, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Denver, St. Paul, Philadelphia, Boston

22 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Is that all? In know folks that attended seven of the Ugly Eight*. (Not sure I know anyone eight for eight.)

Ugh, I feel for those people, I only attended Denver and St. Paul but at the time I lived near Denver and in Minneapolis, respectively.

So in comparison, I felt worse for the people that had traveled for the Frozen Fours I attended than I did for myself.

2 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Ugh, I feel for those people, I only attended Denver and St. Paul but at the time I lived near Denver and in Minneapolis, respectively.

So in comparison, I felt worse for the people that had traveled for the Frozen Fours I attended than I did for myself.

I was 0 for 6, but last year in Tampa made it all worth it and then some. The only problem I am having now is that I dont think its possible to top Tampa and that whole season in general last year. Thinking back on everything now, just WOW.

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I am 0-6.  Stayed home from Tampa, so credit me with the win!  :silly:

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Siouxman said:

It is a sign.  Got in the MGB yesterday morning and started it.  The first song on the radio was "In the Air Tonight."  This morning I got in the MGB and started it.  The song playing was "In The Air Tonight."  Time to get the season going.

Well, there's only 4 songs on your old 8 track, so......

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

The last game we played at Mariucci? 

I remember a tie? And giving up a 2 goal lead to settle for that tie. Guess I didn't think it was that awesome. *shrugs*

19 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

The atmosphere was more what I was speaking to. And yes, we ABSOLUTELY rolled them in the OT, but could not bury. Seems to me we even had a PP?