SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

5 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

Check this out, admire all the Sioux stuff!

They let us all reminisce to celebrate the 100th episode coming out tonight!

I love looking back and seeing how awesome of talent we have on our squads of the past. Bloody, Nelson, Dell, Rowney, Kristo, Parksy, Knighter, Rocco, Mac ... Awesome stuff.

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 0:56 PM, Upper Deck said:

I live in Bemidji and agree. Obviously, Bemidji is BSU first, and then many BSU fans cheer for either the Sioux or Gophers (or neither). I think most BSU fans respect that UND continues to play BSU every year - but BSU fans like the David vs Goliath achievement of beating UND. I think many BSU fans have been brainwashed by the UMtc aura.

I'm not sure how much of an "aura" is coming out of the Gopher men's hockey program right now. Believe me, I get the historical significance and the draw of the Maroon and Gold (and the state pride thing), but only four NCAA tourney appearances (two one-and-dones, a semifinal loss, and a title game loss) in the last eight years have taken some of the bloom off of the rose. If you're keeping track at home, that's an NCAA tournament record of 5-4 since 2008. The watered-down Big Ten doesn't help either, and the long-time fans and boosters are restless. I can't believe Lucia got another extension.

If there's an aura, it should be coming from UND. In the same time frame, North Dakota has made eight straight NCAA tourney appearances (they've actually made 14 in a row) with a record of 12-7 (four Frozen Four berths and a national title). Oh, yeah, and the boys from Grand Forks made four straight Frozen Fours from 2005-08 as well.

Dave

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Dave Berger said:

I'm not sure how much of an "aura" is coming out of the Gopher men's hockey program right now. Believe me, I get the historical significance and the draw of the Maroon and Gold (and the state pride thing), but only four NCAA tourney appearances (two one-and-dones, a semifinal loss, and a title game loss) in the last eight years have taken some of the bloom off of the rose. If you're keeping track at home, that's an NCAA tournament record of 5-4 since 2008. The watered-down Big Ten doesn't help either, and the long-time fans and boosters are restless. I can't believe Lucia got another extension.

If there's an aura, it should be coming from UND. In the same time frame, North Dakota has made eight straight NCAA tourney appearances (they've actually made 14 in a row) with a record of 12-7 (four Frozen Four berths and a national title). Oh, yeah, and the boys from Grand Forks made four straight Frozen Fours from 2005-08 as well.

Dave

And have made the last three! 

1 hour ago, Dave Berger said:

Dave

He already got his extension.

On October 21, 2016 at 2:20 PM, Dave Berger said:

Dave

With all due respect, had UND lost to Denver in last spring's semi-final game, those folks who currently nod their respective heads in agreement with your facts would instead be lamenting UND's failure to win the big one.

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

With all due respect, had UND lost to Denver in last spring's semi-final game, those folks who currently nod their respective heads in agreement with your facts would instead be lamenting UND's failure to win the big one.

Lamenting not winning a championship and recognizing our success over the last 15 years are not mutually exclusive IMO 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Lamenting not winning a championship and recognizing our success over the last 15 years are not mutually exclusive IMO 

You and I can agree on that - many others here feel a 30-1 season is a total waste without a national title.

1 hour ago, burd said:

This might sound disloyal, but I have no problem with the boys getting spanked this weekend in Duluth.   Unlike many others, I don't think it's lack of effort.   I think this is a difficult league, and they have a lot to learn.   The woodshed can be a classroom.    I like what the coaches have proven they can do, and I like the kind of boys they bring in.   They are not what they were last year (you could argue no other Und team has been), and they are not currently as good as Duluth.  Big deal.   Last night was not the last game of the year.

Ummmmmmmmm.......there was some effort issues apparently.

"I thought North Dakota played much harder." Scott Sandelin quote last night

45 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Ummmmmmmmm.......there was some effort issues apparently.

"I thought North Dakota played much harder." Scott Sandelin quote last night

And I think even Berry and our boys acknowledged that Friday's effort could have been better.   I'm just saying that what looks like lack of effort can be a matter of being out of rhythm, poor positioning, and just being outplayed.   Once you lose the position battles (not always due to lack of effort), then just skating harder does not fix things-it can even further complicate things from WORSE positioning.   Last year's D men knew exactly what they were doing and usually did not seem to be racing to positions.   A team that is outmatched by a team with a lot of skill and more experience will often be chasing, and you always get beat to pucks when that happens till you tire and really get in trouble.   Fans tend to see them getting to pucks late and automatically think its lack of effort.   I'm not saying you are doing this, Oxbow--you probably know the game and this team a lot better than I do.   But a lot of fans make that mistake, imo.   

But I ain't no expert, as they say.   I AM confident out staff knows lack of effort whe it sees it and will handle it.  Position play is a longer learning curve, since it requires some on-ice adjustment to the other team

• Upvote 2

Duluth is a big, physical, fast, skilled, mature team (with very solid D) who got really good goaltending this weekend.   It's always hard to beat a team like that.   I think it's objective to say the performance on Friday was below standards despite the opponent.   From what I could glean listening to the radio last night it seemed like this team had a really good start to the game for the first period +.   Duluth capitalized on an error and things turned a bit.  But for a younger, less mature team this probably shouldn't be cause for great alarm.  Adversity helps identify those areas of weakness, which helps build for a better future if the team is successful at addressing those areas.

I remember being very discouraged at the Frozen Face-Off last March because this team looked....about like they looked this weekend.   And look how the next two weekends turned out.

I'm not predicting a championship caliber performance next weekend.  What I'm getting at is a weekend like this doesn't have to define a season.   I'll wait to see how things play out before getting too excited.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, dagies said:

I remember being very discouraged at the Frozen Face-Off last March because this team looked....about like they looked this weekend.   And look how the next two weekends turned out.

Boy, you must have been one of the few then because pretty much everyone else on this board thought that North Dakota was NCAA title-bound after the Frozen Faceoff.*

*extreme sarcasm alert.

• Upvote 4