SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

10 hours ago, tho0505 said:

My take on this weekend:

Several of our lines are going to be really hard to play against for any team.  Boeser playing with ANYONE will result in production. We saw the potential of the Jost to Boeser combination. 

Poganski and Gardner are in a league above everyone else. Physically and mentally they are game changers and wear down the opponents. Gardner's quick-release goal on Friday shows why I expect 15 from him this year.  

Defense is going to be a work in progress, although TPoolman and Ausmus are ready and able. They are going to have to log a lot of minutes.  CPoolman was the most up to task besides our top two d-men. We definitely are going to struggle defensively this year (compared to last years potentially best ever UND defensive core). 

As for goaltending, Cam looks up to the task and will continue to be steady Eddie.  Obviously wasn't tested much, but looked poised as ever.  

Biggest surprised: Dixon Bowen. Awesome energy, great on draws. That fourth line now looks dangerous and has an offensive upside. 

I see us as a 10 loss team this year. Good, but not 2015-16 great.

I'd add that Gersich really seems to have built off a solid freshman season and some good summer workouts.

I've been thinking if we might want to put Simo on the new "heavy line" and make the third line a little bit more of a matchup problem in the skill department- I think the style might align

Jost with Boeser and Gersich

Gardner with Simo and Pogo

Hoff with JJ and Wilkie

Bowen with Yon and Olsen

We'd really be 4 lines deep with this lineup...

• Upvote 3

I was just looking at our calendar...time to unf*&k our sh$7...start playing as a team.  Stop making mistakes and being cute. The teams coming up:   

1.  BSU- Will be thinking David vs Goliath.  They will be up for the series big time.

2.  UMD- NCAA tourney team, will be up near the top of the NCHC and National standings

3.  Gophers- Enough said

4.  Denver- (see Duluth)

5.  SCSU- down a bit, but tough NCHC team

51 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I was just looking at our calendar...time to unf*&k our sh$7...start playing as a team.  Stop making mistakes and being cute. The teams coming up:   

1.  BSU- Will be thinking David vs Goliath.  They will be up for the series big time.

2.  UMD- NCAA tourney team, will be up near the top of the NCHC and National standings

3.  Gophers- Enough said

4.  Denver- (see Duluth)

5.  SCSU- down a bit, but tough NCHC team

Bemidji has some swagger coming into this series, they've started 4-0 with sweeps of Bowling Green and Northern Michigan.

Also, they've only allowed 2 goals total in those 4 games.

5 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Bemidji has some swagger coming into this series, they've started 4-0 with sweeps of Bowling Green and Northern Michigan.

Also, they've only allowed 2 goals total in those 4 games.

Haven't exactly played high powered teams, esp when Bowling Green had some suspended players

4 minutes ago, franchise said:

Haven't exactly played high powered teams, esp when Bowling Green had some suspended players

I think the point of them being 4-0 still stands. They are clearly playing with confidence.

We're 3-0 against Canisius and RPI. You play your schedule.

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Haha fair enough. You hate BSU?? I didn't think anyone did as they are kind of like everyone's little brother haha.

Liked them in the CHA.  Then after the switch, they instantly shed the little brother status with a lot of the fan base.  Now they are every bit as good or even better.  I get random comments all the time while wearing Sioux gear. This series is almost bigger than the Gophers, in terms of me having to hear about it, if it's not a sweep.

11 minutes ago, franchise said:

Liked them in the CHA.  Then after the switch, they instantly shed the little brother status with a lot of the fan base.  Now they are every bit as good or even better.  I get random comments all the time while wearing Sioux gear. This series is almost bigger than the Gophers, in terms of me having to hear about it, if it's not a sweep.

Your experience is completely different than mine. I still think of them as the little brother and when I've gone to the Sanford Center for games everyone's super friendly.

And yeah they only beat Bowling Green and NMU but they also only allowed 2 goals total in all 4 games.

No matter who you play, that's pretty impressive.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Your experience is completely different than mine. I still think of them as the little brother and when I've gone to the Sanford Center for games everyone's super friendly.

And yeah they only beat Bowling Green and NMU but they also only allowed 2 goals total in all 4 games.

No matter who you play, that's pretty impressive.

The comments I get are just walking around town.  I'm so glad the games are both at UND this year.  I'd rather drive over than go to the Sanford Center.

49 minutes ago, franchise said:

What do they say?? Oh hey, nice game, we're still way less of a program than you, but hey, we tied you. LOL

Just point to the banners and pat them on the head like the little sibling they are and say "that's adorable."

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, cberkas said:

If Bemidji wins any of these game there will be a meltdown on here with a "Fire Berry" thread up right after the game.

Bemidji is #1 in the Pariwise right now, UND is #10.  Gotta love the early season PWR rankings.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, franchise said:

I live in Bemidji and agree. Obviously, Bemidji is BSU first, and then many BSU fans cheer for either the Sioux or Gophers (or neither). I think most BSU fans respect that UND continues to play BSU every year - but BSU fans like the David vs Goliath achievement of beating UND. I think many BSU fans have been brainwashed by the UMtc aura.

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

What do they say?? Oh hey, nice game, we're still way less of a program than you, but hey, we tied you. LOL

Just point to the banners and pat them on the head like the little sibling they are and say "that's adorable."

I'll give the head pat a shot and see how it turns out...haha!

• Upvote 2