SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

Guy's who I expect we'll see improve a lot from last year are Chris Wilkie and Joel Janatuinen. We need both of them to take that next step forward.

Wilkie came in pretty highly touted and led the USHL in shots on goal the year before he came in. I think the game was just a little too fast for him last year mainly how quickly he was covered when trying to shoot.  I'm expecting him to put up very good numbers this year with 10-15 goals.  

Janatuinen had moments that really showed his skill but was not really strong enough to excel. I think we'll see him much stronger, not so easily pushed off the puck, and make major advancements his Sophomore year. I'm expecting 8-10 goals this year.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Fetch said:

Do u think Simonson will start putting more in the net ? 

He looked good early last yr & really kept trying hard but was always just not quite getting it done

I doubt it. He's a grinder, 3rd liner, similar to Mario Lamoureux.  He's an essential, solid player, who out hustles everyone.  But I don't see him getting quality PP time. 

10 hours ago, Fetch said:

I see Johnny like Mario: A three-year role guy who finally nets a few as a senior. 

Dear Johnny: If you'd like to prove me wrong and pot about 50 this year I'll eat gladly eat my words. ;)

On 8/16/2016 at 3:04 PM, Stack said:

Guy's who I expect we'll see improve a lot from last year are Chris Wilkie and Joel Janatuinen. We need both of them to take that next step forward.

Wilkie came in pretty highly touted and led the USHL in shots on goal the year before he came in. I think the game was just a little too fast for him last year mainly how quickly he was covered when trying to shoot.  I'm expecting him to put up very good numbers this year with 10-15 goals.  

Janatuinen had moments that really showed his skill but was not really strong enough to excel. I think we'll see him much stronger, not so easily pushed off the puck, and make major advancements his Sophomore year. I'm expecting 8-10 goals this year.

Great point. That was an issue with several freshmen last year (getting pushed off the puck easily). Besides Boeser and Wolanin, I saw that issue with most of our freshmen. That will be key come this season whether physically Joel, Wilkie, and Gersich can take that next step. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

I couldn't believe what Pogo did last year. As a freshman he got moved around; he was a monster at times as a sophomore*. If Wilkie or JJ can make a similar move, look out. 

*And somewhere over that summer he got faster too. 

No doubt Pogo has put in the work in the off season since he came to UND. He is a true team player considering the different lines and situations he's been put in. 

8 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I see Johnny like Mario: A three-year role guy who finally nets a few as a senior. 

Mario.  As in Lemieux, not Lamoureux.  And I mean that in no way to disrespect the former Sioux Mario, but given the choice...

On 8/15/2016 at 9:48 PM, Emerald joker said:

Who do you think is going to be on that first line?

IDK, I suppose we will find out by the second or third week. I am sure the coaching staff will try a few different players out. Gersich, would be my choice. 

On 8/16/2016 at 9:08 AM, OETKB said:

While the consensus seems to be Gersich, I'm really curious to find out what Hoff can do.  I have not seen much on these boards about the freshmen besides Jost.  Hoff played on international tourney teams four times (at the U17, U18, U19, U20 levels - twice captain).  I wonder if a player like that could be a first-liner, and allow Gersich to make a second or third line even more dangerous.

The more I think about it, I would probably go with that Gersich, Jost and Brock

• Upvote 1

On 8/17/2016 at 10:16 PM, Fetch said:

He looked good early last yr & really kept trying hard but was always just not quite getting it done

Yes. 

I don't usually do this kind of thing, but I rewatched the NC game. 

We are really going to miss that defense.   Wow, they were good.  All phases of the game considered, maybe the best ever in my years watching Sioux hockey. 

Also noticed that St. Claire had some very good shifts.   Would be nice to see a jump from him this year. 

13 minutes ago, burd said:

...noticed that St. Claire had some very good shifts.   Would be nice to see a jump from him this year. 

...see a jump from him this year.  Wait.........what???

3 hours ago, burd said:

I don't usually do this kind of thing, but I rewatched the NC game. 

We are really going to miss that defense.   Wow, they were good.  All phases of the game considered, maybe the best ever in my years watching Sioux hockey. 

Also noticed that St. Claire had some very good shifts.   Would be nice to see a jump from him this year. 

I was walking next to his mom and talking with her on the way into the arena for the NC game in Florida. I told her it was too bad about LJ, but that I was predicting earlier, that St Claire could be a secret weapon or a spark for the team, no matter how subtle it may be, but a spark! She was high five-ing me in the door! That was fun! I was watching him a little close that exciting night and thought he had a good game also! It would have been nice to see him injury free, I remember a lot of hype about him prior to his freshman year, plus kind of a cool hockey name......St Claire...

1 hour ago, bigskyvikes said:

I was walking next to his mom and talking with her on the way into the arena for the NC game in Florida. I told her it was too bad about LJ, but that I was predicting earlier, that St Claire could be a secret weapon or a spark for the team, no matter how subtle it may be, but a spark! She was high five-ing me in the door! That was fun! I was watching him a little close that exciting night and thought he had a good game also! It would have been nice to see him injury free, I remember a lot of hype about him prior to his freshman year, plus kind of a cool hockey name......St Claire...

You were probably chatting with her the same reason the ESPN cameras seemed to enjoy showing her. :D