SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

22 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

I think Boeser will stay Boeser and Jost might take the role of Schmaltz. The clips I've seen of Jost seems like he's setting guys up more then scoring but I haven't seen a lot of clips so maybe I'm wrong. And I think Poganski stays on the 2nd line with Gardner which isn't a knock against them at all, but I don't think you want to split that chemistry up. And like I've said before Gersich started of on the line with Boeser and Schmaltz and seemed to have good chemistry with them so I think you put Gerisch back with Boeser. I think Gersich can almost fill the Caggiula role.

That was something that I forgot to include was Gersich, it's a big split between him and Pogo on 1st. Great points though.

13 hours ago, SiouxSherm94 said:

That was something that I forgot to include was Gersich, it's a big split between him and Pogo on 1st. Great points though.

Both Boeser and Pogo are right handed shots.  You aren't going to play one on their off wing on a regular, even strength shift.  They are both too good at their position.

I also agree that you don't split up the chemistry established by Gardner and Pogo as 2/3 of the heavy line.

The first and second lines are essentially set on C and RW IMO.  Gersich certainly should play LW on one of the top 2 lines.

55 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

Ok, what does it mean when the flag turns green under people's name in these blogs. I've noticed I think I've pressed on my phone screen a little to hard a couple times just trying to scroll down and it turns the flags green, what ever it's doing its not on purpose if it's bad

Believe it's when posters give  5+ up arrows (positive feedback) to a post.  You probably give positive or negative feedback accidentally when using your phone. 

4 hours ago, sprig said:

Believe it's when posters give  5+ up arrows (positive feedback) to a post.  You probably give positive or negative feedback accidentally when using your phone. 

No he's talking about the flag right next to "4 hrs ago, sprig said" (little flag here) I have been curious about it also. I've accidentally turned them red, like I flagged a post to the people that run the website. But never have meant to.

1 hour ago, bigskyvikes said:

No he's talking about the flag right next to "4 hrs ago, sprig said" (little flag here) I have been curious about it also. I've accidentally turned them red, like I flagged a post to the people that run the website. But never have meant to.

I think I've only turned them green so maybe that's a good thing. These iPhones are sensitive 

In my opinion, any talk of Jost coming in and replacing Schmaltz is unrealistic.  Based upon the limited amount of play I've seen of Jost I don't disagree that his game is similar to Nick's.  I just don't think he'll come in and do this year what Schmaltz did last year.  Even though Nick was a very good player his first year, the difference between freshman Nick Schmaltz and sophomore Nick Schmaltz was night and day.  I could very easily see the same thing from Jost.

The success of the team in the coming year will largely hinge on a couple of keys.  First, to what extent can Shaw and Wolanin come in and not just play a lot of key minutes, but actually step up their game to help drive the offense.  They won't replace LaDue and Stecher, but they've got to at least take major steps in that direction.

Second, I think we'll need to see Gersich, Wilkie and Janatuinen take positive steps forward.  We need to get into at least the 10-12 goal range this year for each of them.  I see this team as being a little deeper and more balanced offensively than last year's, but that will depend on those guys progressing. 

The title will be there for the taking, because as I noted earlier I just don't see any dominant teams this year (assuming the BU freshmen don't come in and kill it from the beginning).  Just my two cents.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

In my opinion, any talk of Jost coming in and replacing Schmaltz is unrealistic.  Based upon the limited amount of play I've seen of Jost I don't disagree that his game is similar to Nick's.  I just don't think he'll come in and do this year what Schmaltz did last year.  Even though Nick was a very good player his first year, the difference between freshman Nick Schmaltz and sophomore Nick Schmaltz was night and day.  I could very easily see the same thing from Jost.

The success of the team in the coming year will largely hinge on a couple of keys.  First, to what extent can Shaw and Wolanin come in and not just play a lot of key minutes, but actually step up their game to help drive the offense.  They won't replace LaDue and Stecher, but they've got to at least take major steps in that direction.

Second, I think we'll need to see Gersich, Wilkie and Janatuinen take positive steps forward.  We need to get into at least the 10-12 goal range this year for each of them.  I see this team as being a little deeper and more balanced offensively than last year's, but that will depend on those guys progressing. 

The title will be there for the taking, because as I noted earlier I just don't see any dominant teams this year (assuming the BU freshmen don't come in and kill it from the beginning).  Just my two cents.

Jost is a more touted freshman coming in than Schmaltz was.  Based on where he played and what he's done, at minimum I expect a Travis Zajac type first season

24 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Jost is a more touted freshman coming in than Schmaltz was.  Based on where he played and what he's done, at minimum I expect a Travis Zajac type first season

I'd say Jost has a better freshman year than Nick's freshman year. Not sure about if he has a better year than Nick's 2015-16 campaign. Certainly hoping he will, though.

7 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'd say Jost has a better freshman year than Nick's freshman year. Not sure about if he has a better year than Nick's 2015-16 campaign. Certainly hoping he will, though.

Like most have said, Jost is much more touted than Nick was a freshman.  Also, Nick, as a freshman, didn't have the opportunity to play with anyone remotely close to the caliber of Brock Boeser.  The leading scorer on the 14-15 team (Nick's freshman year), was Caggiula with 36 points (60% of Boeser's true freshman year production).

I see a 35 goal season out of Boeser this year, and at least a 45 point season out of Jost.  I think both of those totals are reasonably attainable for those two players.  I think the biggest surprise for next year will be Wolanin, I think he hits 30 points.  He seems to be that pure offensive risk taker that UND hasn't had since Genoway.

7 minutes ago, as15 said:

Like most have said, Jost is much more touted than Nick was a freshman.  Also, Nick, as a freshman, didn't have the opportunity to play with anyone remotely close to the caliber of Brock Boeser.  The leading scorer on the 14-15 team (Nick's freshman year), was Caggiula with 36 points (60% of Boeser's true freshman year production).

I see a 35 goal season out of Boeser this year, and at least a 45 point season out of Jost.  I think both of those totals are reasonably attainable for those two players.  I think the biggest surprise for next year will be Wolanin, I think he hits 30 points.  He seems to be that pure offensive risk taker that UND hasn't had since Genoway.

Big numbers for both and I'm cautiously optimistic :)

49 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

I don't think Gersich will have a problem scoring at least 15 this next season, I think he scored 10 this last season and he wasn't on a scoring line which he'll be on this so I don't see scoring being a problem for him. Wilkie I'll say 10 to 12 like you said, he didn't seem to show as much as Gersich did. I'm just hoping we see Boeser and Jost together since pretty much everyone is assuming they will be.

GO SIOUX!!!

14 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

I don't think Gersich will have a problem scoring at least 15 this next season, I think he scored 10 this last season and he wasn't on a scoring line which he'll be on this so I don't see scoring being a problem for him. Wilkie I'll say 10 to 12 like you said, he didn't seem to show as much as Gersich did. I'm just hoping we see Boeser and Jost together since pretty much everyone is assuming they will be.

GO SIOUX!!!

I think both of them will be those rare college players where they will be the team's two best offensive forwards, and the two best defensive forwards, meaning they should be able to play against any one and carry they play.  Obviously, this is assuming Jost will adjust fairly quickly, but we know what we have in Boeser.

14 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

GO SIOUX!!!

Wilkie increased his scoring by 20 points a year in the ushl. Hopefully that's a trend that he brings with him to the college level.

• Upvote 1

Regarding the flagging of posts, don't worry about the changing flag colors, you're the only one who sees it. I'm not sure of its purpose. We are only notified when you click the flag, are given the opportunity to write a message, and then click submit. 

• Upvote 1

It's not easy to determine now just how important defense was to our forwards' scoring success was last year, but you know it was a factor.  I also don't think Jost can be expected to match the defensive skills Schmaltz showed last year.

Still, as others have said, there's no reason to think that #9 is out of our reach.  Stay away from injuries and keep getting better as the year moves along, and we should be in the discussion.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, burd said:

It's not easy to determine now just how important defense was to our forwards' scoring success was last year, but you know it was a factor.  I also don't think Jost can be expected to match the defensive skills Schmaltz showed last year.

Although you may be right, Jost showed good defensive skills in the U18 tourney, much like Toews at that age, and much better than Schmaltz as a freshman.

6 hours ago, sprig said:

Although you may be right, Jost showed good defensive skills in the U18 tourney, much like Toews at that age, and much better than Schmaltz as a freshman.

Yeah, Schmaltz' D game really improved last year.  And I'm sure he knew that had to happen to have a chance of playing in Chi. 

12 hours ago, SJHovey said:

Big difference is that Jost is quite a bit better (coming into his freshman year) than schmaltz was at the same time.  I would say jost may be a click behind schmaltz (as a sophomore).  Honestly they are slightly different players. Schmaltz is 100% a pass first guy who has to play with hard working goal scorers.  Jost, while also a playmaker, is much more of an all around type player. His shot and goal scoring ability is top notch.  He is also relentless on the D side of the puck.  The missing piece of the equation is caggiula.  I hope that with boeser taking a step forward and jost coming in as an elite player, someone like gersich can coming in and have a big year.  He looked pretty dang good during the Beauty league.  The one thing I've noticed about him is that he's not very headsy.  Lacks vision.  He absolutely flies though.

20 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Big difference is that Jost is quite a bit better (coming into his freshman year) than schmaltz was at the same time.  I would say jost may be a click behind schmaltz (as a sophomore).  Honestly they are slightly different players. Schmaltz is 100% a pass first guy who has to play with hard working goal scorers.  Jost, while also a playmaker, is much more of an all around type player. His shot and goal scoring ability is top notch.  He is also relentless on the D side of the puck.  The missing piece of the equation is caggiula.  I hope that with boeser taking a step forward and jost coming in as an elite player, someone like gersich can coming in and have a big year.  He looked pretty dang good during the Beauty league.  The one thing I've noticed about him is that he's not very headsy.  Lacks vision.  He absolutely flies though.

I really like this kid. He's the real deal. I would compare him to a Toews type player. His shot is deadly and he's got a great attitude. I think Jost and Boeser are going to take this team on their back. We have two highly-talented first round draft choices that could end up lighting the NCHC on fire this season. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Goon said:

I really like this kid. He's the real deal. I would compare him to a Toews type player. His shot is deadly and he's got a great attitude. I think Jost and Boeser are going to take this team on their back. We have two highly-talented first round draft choices that could end up lighting the NCHC on fire this season. 

Who do you think is going to be on that first line?

11 hours ago, Emerald joker said:

Who do you think is going to be on that first line?

While the consensus seems to be Gersich, I'm really curious to find out what Hoff can do.  I have not seen much on these boards about the freshmen besides Jost.  Hoff played on international tourney teams four times (at the U17, U18, U19, U20 levels - twice captain).  I wonder if a player like that could be a first-liner, and allow Gersich to make a second or third line even more dangerous.

When it comes to complementing guys like Jost and Boeser on that line, individual skills mean less and the chemistry, intuitive side of things means more.  No 3 on that line will not need to have big time skills, but he will need instinct.   Caggiula had both instinct and skills, so his place will be a hard one to fill. 

• Upvote 2