SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:48 PM, Oxbow6 said:

#16 is more ready to jump than #8. Both stay......add Jost and have a legit shot to go back to back. 

Jordan IMO was more ready than Nick after 2 years and it seemed the right call for Jordan to stay for 3 years.

Stecher should stay. Keaton should stay. Poolman should stay. Ausmus should stay.

Of those 6.....at least 3 will leave.

Not sure I agree with Boeser/Schmaltz take. I think Boeser has a more dynamic game and he was certainly able to be dominate against college players as was Nick. The difference I saw between them that would tell me that Nick is slightly ahead at this point was how their respective games translated against elite players at the World Juniors this year and I think Nick certainly looked more comfortable in that setting against elite players as Brock sometimes had trouble finding open space and getting his shot off. Just my opinion and I think that staying would not hurt either one of them.

If Stecher gets a max contract offer as a free agent it is probably in his best interest to sign now and I would wish him the best as he has gave UND everything he has for 3 years.

For the drafted guys, Keaton, Poolman, and Ausmus it really comes down to how much the teams with their draft rights value them and the relationships they have with them currently and if they are worried about them going the free agent route. All 3 would definitely benefit from another year of college. Of the 3 I would guess that poolman is the biggest flight risk due to age and Keaton should stay partially due to his young age.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I heard tomek is redshirting and isn't planning on going anywhere. Sounds like he really wants a degree. So he's here for at least 3 more years

Tomek just sat out a year so if he transferred he would be out another year unless he went back to juniors.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, petey23 said:

Tomek just sat out a year so if he transferred he would be out another year unless he went back to juniors.

he's not going anywhere and didn't plan to. He's going to try and win that starting job next year.

• Upvote 1

On 4/10/2016 at 11:13 PM, squirtcoach said:

Dream lines 1-3

Jost Schmaltz Boeser

Poganski Johnson Gardner

Simonson Gersich Janatuinen 

Enjoy the rest of the semester and come back for the repeat.

I expect Wilkie to take a big step forward next year.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Johnny Five said:

Haven't been here for quite some time (covers head).  Love my Gopher hockey and Bison football...WTF is a guy like me doing here?  Taking the high road and telling y'all congrats on a special season and especially the 'ship.  Been awhile and there isn't a more deserving program.   

Will be great to see the 2 going at it next year at Mariucci.  Maybe my team can find a way to make a 3rd meeting happen in March/April. 

Congrats again, enjoy, and have a great off-season!   

tumblr_n9o0wpMInf1sgl0ajo1_500.gif

Nice post!  

• Upvote 1

Assuming the Stecher and LaDue are the only early departures, I'd go with this lineup for next year:

Jost-Schmaltz-Boeser

Gersich-Johnson-Poganski

Janatuinen-Gardner-Wilkie

Olson-Simonson-Hoff

T. Poolman-Ausmus

Wolanin-Thompson

Shaw-C. Poolman/Evers

My best guess:

Seniors graduating (4 F): Cags, Cyz, Sanderson, St. Clair
Early departures (3 D/1 F): Stecher, Thompson, LaDue, LJ
Incoming freshman (5 F/3 D): Yon, Smith, Bowen, Hoff, Jost, Poolman, Bast, Johnson

Returning Players:
Forwards (10): Boeser, Gardner, Gersich, Gornall, Janatuinen, Olson, Poganski, Schmaltz, Simonson, Wilkie
Defense (5): Ausmus, Chartrand, Poolman, Shaw, Wolanin
Goalie (4): Anderson, Hrynkiw, Johnson, Tomek

Jost - Schmaltz - Boeser
Olson - Gardner - Poganski
Gersich - Simonson - Hoff
Janatuinen - Bowen - Wilkie

Poolman - Poolman
Ausmus - Wolanin
Shaw - Bast

Johnson
Tomek
Hrynkiw

Extra F (3): Gornall, Smith, Yon
Extra D (2): Chartrand, Johnson
Extra G (1): Anderson

5 hours ago, brianvf said:

My best guess:

Seniors graduating (4 F): Cags, Cyz, Sanderson, St. Clair
Early departures (3 D/1 F): Stecher, Thompson, LaDue, LJ
Incoming freshman (5 F/3 D): Yon, Smith, Bowen, Hoff, Jost, Poolman, Bast, Johnson

Returning Players:
Forwards (10): Boeser, Gardner, Gersich, Gornall, Janatuinen, Olson, Poganski, Schmaltz, Simonson, Wilkie
Defense (5): Ausmus, Chartrand, Poolman, Shaw, Wolanin
Goalie (4): Anderson, Hrynkiw, Johnson, Tomek

Jost - Schmaltz - Boeser
Olson - Gardner - Poganski
Gersich - Simonson - Hoff
Janatuinen - Bowen - Wilkie

Poolman - Poolman
Ausmus - Wolanin
Shaw - Bast

Johnson
Tomek
Hrynkiw

Extra F (3): Gornall, Smith, Yon
Extra D (2): Chartrand, Johnson
Extra G (1): Anderson

I think I heard  Hennessey say that Bowen could come in as a defenseman possibly.  I suppose that all depends on who we lose, and at what positions. Curious to see if Adams is a possibility to come in.  Would guess if we keep Schmaltz that is unlikely.  

This is probably the least I've thought about "who's in, who's out" in the last 15 years or so. I guess something else had my attention. :)

Defense:
LaDue is gone. Stetcher is too.
Thompson? I'm gonna say it: He's not ready. He may think he is; the LAK may be afraid of him pulling a Vesey; but, he's not ready. 
Poolman? I'd worry, but I think he wants to play a season with his brother (and dad with them at the bench). 
I've heard nothing about Ausmus so that's safe ... well as safe as anything is. 

Figure we'll lose two at best, three at worst. 

Forward:
Boeser is staying. :)
I'm hoping Jordan talks to Nick and tells him to stay for a junior season. 
Many are saying Luke Johnson is gone. He'll probably go, and have a long AHL career. 
Poganski is the only other wildcard I see (because Trevor Olson tweeted he's coming back. :D )

So we lose four senior forwards and let's say two more. 

That's six (?) forwards and three (?) defense. 

Now comes the tough part: Who comes in?

I'd say the guys who are age 20* as I write this, namely, ...

Defense: Poolman and Johnson. If they need another ... Bast? Peski? Evers? 

Forward: Smith, Yon. Jost is a gimme. Hoff, Bowen* ... then ... Keane? 

*Take that Big Ten
**A nice "have" in case another defender is needed.