SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

Going strictly by memory here, but I believe Tim's first season broadcasting was where he had to watch the Evil M beat Gino's team in the National Championship. However, a year later he was broadcasting Gino's first title (1980). 

Think about that: Tim's been on the road every winter the UND hockey team for over 35 years. He's broadcast UND winning six of the eight titles, titles that now span seven decades. 

If Tim wants to step back a bit and spend some time with his wife and boys, I can't blame him. Hey, he's earned it. 

However, can I ask that if Tim is looking to slow down can he take the Vin Scully approach? Let someone else go on the road most of the time, but keep doing home games, or maybe television. 

• Upvote 4

58 minutes ago, athompson3 said:

Tucker Poolman back per Schloss

So huge.

All the previous news + Duey + Schmaltz = No. 9.

All the previous news + one of them - one of them = No. 9.

All the previous news - both = ? .... I still say No. 9, but I'm biased :)

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, franchise said:

Nick can't pass up centering Brock and Jost, can he???

Of course he can, but I can definitely see that being a HUGE perk to staying.

"Oh hey, Nick, you wanna center the best line in college hockey for two of the three years you're here? They'll make you look good... like... SO good. Oh wait, you're already really good? Ok... well they'll make you look even good.... er."

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm gonna do that."

:)

• Upvote 4

Just now, Fetch said:

Mido would be insane to not hire Tim to do their TV coverage

From what I heard the are looking for someone to do Hockey, Football, Basketball and Volleyball.  Tim only wants to do Hockey.

I think they should go after Ryan Cunningham from KNOX.

• Upvote 1

UND will no longer employ its radio play-by-play announcers. That means Tim Hennessy and Paul Ralston will no longer be UND employees. That doesn’t necessarily mean that they won’t be calling games anymore, though.

Going forward, UND will contract with Learfield Sports.

http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=103096

Wonder why Jack Michaels, UND football radio, will still be a UND employee but not Hennessy.

8 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

You? I pick my own color guy for my play-by-play. 

Neither one of you will be considered.  As of today, I'm an unrestricted free agent and, due to budget cuts, I will be handling both the Play-by-Play and Color Guy duties.  Well, I guess I should clarify.....I'll be doing PxP and Morgan Mundane will handle Color but there'll be no charge for Morgan.  We'll also have Ma Linger and Backlash Larue as guests between periods.  :-)

Google Steve Cannon at WCCO to understand the above post.

Highly unlikely Tim gets hired by Midco, as he doesn't have the filming/editing skills required to work for Midco in GF.  Especially, with Midco getting the NDSU Basketball contract, there will be some employees who likely work for both UND and NDSU games... meaning fewer full-time people in GF.

20 hours ago, Cratter said:

http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=103096

Wonder why Jack Michaels, UND football radio, will still be a UND employee but not Hennessy.

You're assuming Jack will work for UND. Are we sure he wasn't approved by UND to be their radio voice but will work for Learfield? Normally when you contract broadcast rights out you retain final say on who you'll accept to be the voice.

22 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Sure is more fun than riding the bus in the AHL.

One of the biggest factors could be the numbers 2-23-96.  That's Nick's birthday, meaning he doesn't turn 21 until next February.  

How would you like to be staying at a hotel on a road trip through Ohio and unable to drink with your teammates.

• Upvote 2