SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

13 hours ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

True but Greenwood also has size as a defenseman and an older brother that is an NHL draft pick. Gostisbehere may have slipped through the cracks, but this kid won't.

true, bit don't forget that Shayne was a third rounder. He wasn't completely forgotten about. He played u20 as well.

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 7:24 PM, scpa0305 said:

I heard tomek is redshirting and isn't planning on going anywhere. Sounds like he really wants a degree. So he's here for at least 3 more years

bad info sounds like tomek hasn't red shirted yet, will probably go into next year as a soph. Odd decision.

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

bad info sounds like tomek hasn't red shirted yet, will probably go into next year as a soph. Odd decision.

He may not be eligible for a medical redshirt.  I believe that if a player is capable of playing after his injury, whether he plays or not, it negates the ability to redshirt.  From what I understand is that by the end of the season he could have played had we needed him to or wanted him to.  It's hard to piece it all together without being in the locker room.

• Upvote 1

If Johnson is beating out Tomeck to be the starter, makes me wonder how good Tomeck is. I would think Tomeck being a drafted goalie that he would be starting cuz it would seem like he's better, not saying Johnson isn't good it's just a weird situation to me. But now with Tomeck being healed up for the last 3 months as far as we know, I wonder if he'll beat Johnson for the starting position. 

PS: Some needs to tell Schmaltz to hurry up and make a decision cuz this is driving me nuts lol

21 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

If Johnson is beating out Tomeck to be the starter, makes me wonder how good Tomeck is. I would think Tomeck being a drafted goalie that he would be starting cuz it would seem like he's better, not saying Johnson isn't good it's just a weird situation to me. But now with Tomeck being healed up for the last 3 months as far as we know, I wonder if he'll beat Johnson for the starting position. 

PS: Some needs to tell Schmaltz to hurry up and make a decision cuz this is driving me nuts lol

Like the espn guy said, "You're killing me, Schmaltz!"

So the thought is LaDue would use the same option that Jimmy Vesey is exercising right now. Interesting. 

I might be wearing green glasses, but I don't see where there's room in the Chicago system for Johnson or Schmaltz other than on a bus in the minors. 

6 hours ago, Big A HG said:

He may not be eligible for a medical redshirt.  I believe that if a player is capable of playing after his injury, whether he plays or not, it negates the ability to redshirt.  From what I understand is that by the end of the season he could have played had we needed him to or wanted him to.  It's hard to piece it all together without being in the locker room.

How many regular season minutes did Tomek have this year?

Thus, with 0 minutes of regular season play, Tomek did not burn a season but he did burn a year of eligibility. 

And remember, you have five years to play four seasons. 

Effectively Tomek just redshirted (like FB guys do) this season. 

• Upvote 1

3. Tyson Jost, the star UND recruit who is playing for Canada, was the tournament’s leading scorer after two games with six points. He had five points in his first game and one in the second. What impressed me about him was not his offensive skill, though. It was how hard he plays defensively. He was always the first guy back. He is relentless. He will win over fans with that type of hustle. It also bodes well if he wants to land on that top line. Drake Caggiula was such a hound for the puck and so good at possessing it, that’s what made that top line so dominant. Jost will have to be good with puck possession. He also skates well enough to play on that unit.

4. What’s even more impressive about Jost’s performance so far is that I don’t think he’s healthy. The Penticton Vees reported that he played with a broken hand and a separated shoulder in the playoffs.

5. Another notable item about Jost is that he’s wearing the ‘C’ as team captain. His coach said it’s because he does everything right. Jost also wore the ‘C’ for Penticton this season and at the World Junior A Challenge. UND has prided itself on bringing in leadership types, and it appears they have another with Jost.

Some notes from Brad about UND recruit Jost at the U18's.
I like it.