SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2016 Edition

AZSIOUX

Huge bummer to see Schmaltz sign. Can't blame him though. He's got an opportunity to jump right into playing in the NHL. He could've been a dominant player for UND next year but I think he's ready either way.

It was fun being able to watch him these past two years. Huge part in winning #8. Good luck in the pros, Nick!

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, snova4 said:

I kind of want to cry. It's been a long time since we lost this much talent and leadership in one off season.

It's OK, though.  This kind of thing is often part and parcel of winning it all.   Getting guys to the next level is part of what makes the Josts and Boesers of the world come to UND.   It's OK. 

• Upvote 3

Best of luck to Nick in the NHL!
He really transformed himself into an elite college player in his two seasons.  What a big jump in between his fr and so seasons...an amazing passer and backchecker with crazy soft hands.

Thanks for being a huge part in hanging #8, Nick!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, burd said:

It's OK, though.  This kind of thing is often part and parcel of winning it all.   Getting guys to the next level is part of what makes the Josts and Boesers of the world come to UND.   It's OK. 

Good point.  Yah, it's a Catch-22 indeed.  I don't care who's coach, UND doesn't rebuild it reloads and there's still plenty of talent on hand.  Will we be dominant like last season (6 losses?), likely not, but we'll be in the running and that's all you can ask for.

Nick's two-way play and puck pursuit will be tough to replace.  I am pretty certain that Jost will bring same or better offensive capability- hopefully he develops chemistry with Boeser quickly.  Would've been unreal to have Nick back, but a kid has a dream, and he likely got a rookie max.  Hard to say no; especially if Chi is telling him he has a legit shot at 3rd line in the NHL if he performs in camp.  

Sadly for UND, Nick's great development related to two-way and puck pursuit is likely what let him sign.  Right now, Chi sees a guy with 2nd line upside who is not a liability in the bottom six.

If I remember correctly, Chicago traded up in the first round to get Nick. I thought we'd be lucky to get him one more year, but looks like his development is right on track for Chicago.  Maybe the biggest jump from freshman to sophomore year that we've seen.  Special player on a special team.  Thanks Nick!  Forever a Sioux!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NoDakFan said:

Hopefully he stays a true Sioux and keeps repping the University like Parise or Oshie or Greene. Sadly, I haven't seen a lot of love for UND outta Toews, but maybe I'm missing it. 

Could be missing it. Could be he isn't showing a lot of love, because he bro didn't get a lot of love when he was here.

I doubt we see everything the he does for UND, but UND definitely gets some recognition purely by being associated with Toews name.

2 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Could be missing it. Could be he isn't showing a lot of love, because he bro didn't get a lot of love when he was here.

I doubt we see everything the he does for UND, but UND definitely gets some recognition purely by being associated with Toews name.

My take on Toews was he was really young & Dumb about most everything but Hockey when he was here

2 hours ago, NoDakFan said:

Hopefully he stays a true Sioux and keeps repping the University like Parise or Oshie or Greene. Sadly, I haven't seen a lot of love for UND outta Toews, but maybe I'm missing it. 

Toews gives as much love to UND as Parise does.

59 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Whatever happened to David (I've only heard rumors) were David's issues and his issues alone. UND doesn't hand out roster spots to players, they are earned and David wasn't as good as he thought he was.